price matching/taxes

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

price matching/taxes

I was just able to price match a galaxy s7 edge from Best Buy. Rogers price 299.00 Best Buy price 49.99 but when rogers sent confirmation email they are charging me sales tax on the 299. This doesnt seem right. Is that legal?

***Edited Labels***

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: price matching/taxes

Hi @debri1

Welcome to the Community Forums! Smiley Happy

Just to clarify you completed your upgrade at Best Buy for the device at $49.99 , on your bill you were charged $299.99?

When did you complete this upgrade? Some device credits show up on the second or third bill after the upgrade.

@RogersPrasana

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

No they charged me sales tax on the 299.00 even though I only have to pay 49.00 for the phone.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @debri1

It should have automatically been on the bill. As a worker at Best Buy i can tell you that. It seems the problem was in Rogers end which did not receive that price and fully charged you. I would go back to Best Buy with the original contract they gave u the date of upgrade and see if they can call in and get it changed. The only other way is to into a Rogers Plus store and have the crew there check it and call in for you.
Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @debri1

We can take a closer look at your upgrade and the charges for your device.

Please send us a private message to @CommunityHelps the next time you are online and we can assist

@RogersPrasana

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@debri1 wrote:

No they charged me sales tax on the 299.00 even though I only have to pay 49.00 for the phone.

It may well be a scam by the Provincial Government, in that they charge tax on what THEY determine what something is worth, not what you actually paid.

Here is a good example. My son recently bought a used vehicle for $5000, but the Ontario used vehicle package put the wholesale value at around $8000, so he would have overpaid Ontario sales tax by about $400. Ontario uses Red Book values regardless of condition and kilometres. Fortunately, he was able to get an appraisal and paid only the tax that he owed. Let's hope Rogers can get this straightened out for you because I have no faith in the honesty of this government.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I think the issue has been resolved, it seems it was just something that the computer generated & I will only have to pay the tax on the $49.00