cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

locating phone modem in apartment

tk160
I've been here awhile

I cancelled my Rogers home phone and TV service because I moved to a different apartment building. I returned the TV box. Rogers wants the phone modem returned but I can't find it in the apartment. Would it be somewhere else in the apartment building? Where?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: locating phone modem in apartment

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@tk160  Some units also have a utility closet where cable and telephone services enter the unit.  From there, the incoming Rogers cable line would connect to a splitter that, in turn, feeds the coax wall jacks.  It would be at this point that a Rogers telephone modem would also connect to the coax splitter, and its telephone port would connect to the unit's telephone wall jacks, possibly through another device that provides connectivity to the apartment building's intercom and door buzzer.

You can also ask your building management whether this is the case for your suite.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Most MDU's have an equipment room or something similar where all of these boxes and connections are housed.  You should contact your building management since it's handled differently in various buildings.

The thing is, you probably won't be allowed into this room and the modem should have been "filed" with Rogers as located there and needs an appropriate person like a Rogers technician to "remove" it since there could be any number of modems located there...  You may be able to straighten this out with a phone call to Rogers after you've contacted the building management.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@tk160  Some units also have a utility closet where cable and telephone services enter the unit.  From there, the incoming Rogers cable line would connect to a splitter that, in turn, feeds the coax wall jacks.  It would be at this point that a Rogers telephone modem would also connect to the coax splitter, and its telephone port would connect to the unit's telephone wall jacks, possibly through another device that provides connectivity to the apartment building's intercom and door buzzer.

You can also ask your building management whether this is the case for your suite.

tk160
I've been here awhile

Thank you for all the useful info. I really appreciate it.

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 in conversation