Wireless Plans & Pricing

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Wireless Plans & Pricing

A quick note on my mobile data usage for the month of September.

I kept the phone mobile data off for about the first two weeks in the past month. Then I switched it on being careful to update automatically when attached to home wifi. I also kept the Data Saver settings on and permitted no app to update in the background. I did not use the phone for any sort of web surfing or email. Based on this my usage was only about 8MB - a few photos on messages really. I now feel confident to leave mobile data on. I have a warning at 400 MB and it'll switch off completely at my limit of 500 MB.

I'm Here A Lot

Rogers Data Offer rip off? Price went up after 2 months.

So I got an offer for data for 15GB @ $115 in August.

Today, I got the same offer, except that it went up to $135.

Was there like an inflation in the past 2 months?

😞

Hello @aj_12,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for your post. 

I appreciate your query, our current  in-market 10GB plan is $155, I believe the price quoted to you on both occasions was part of our promotional offers. We do offer limited time offers that do come with an expiration date.

Thank you for understanding!

RogersZia

I Plan to Stick Around

Why does it feel like we are regressing with regards to data plans?

So I am coming to the end of my contract.  Looking at changing phones.  Currently pay around $110/month for a shared plan, with 7GB of data and unlimited canada wide talk etc.  When I go through and look at the plans now being offered for my upgrade, they are way more expensive!

For example, its 100 a month for only 1GB of data? How can Rogers be seemingly going backwards with the data they are offering?  Cell phone users are consuming more and more data and it is absolutely laughable that there are plans for only 1GB of data.  Or I need to pay almost 200 a month for 10GB.  Also, the second line prices have gone up as well.  It is now almost 80 a month for the second line.  Then you add voicemail, apple care and all that.

Anyways, just wanted to rant and see what kinda silly excuse rogers will come up with to justify these prices!  

Highlighted
I've Been Around

These past few months I've missed deals offered, I own my phone outright and don't see why I'm to call, ask for the loyalty department and try to negotiate a better monthly price for my cell phone, which may or may not happen. With last weekends deals it was impossible to get through via phone, does loyalty not get rewarded automatically? Why am I consistently paying high prices and the onus is on me to chase down a better deal when I can shop other providers?

Good afternoon and welcome to the Community @missy_esp,

We certainly appreciate long term customers such as yourself. I know the wait times have been less than ideal due to the overwhelming response to our wireless offers. If you would like to discuss options for your account please reach out to us via PM @CommunityHelps and we can assist you further.

Our private messaging system is explained in this blog.

RogersZia

I Plan to Stick Around

Suggestions for holding a number

Hi everyone,

So here's my situation in a nutshell. I'm looking for that most cost efficient solution:

- Been with Rogers for over 20 years

- I have a personal phone/number associated to the original 6GB plan costing me roughly $65/month

- I have a work phone in which my personal phone forwards its text and calls to

- There has been zero usage on my personal phone for over 5 years

Is there a plan at Rogers that I can downgrade to without losing the number but still able to forward text/calls to another number that doesn't cost me $65/month ($780/year)? I don't care about losing the plan at this point.

What else am I losing by downgrading? Or should I just stay with it, and let my company absorb my personal number?

Thoughts?

I'm a Senior Advisor

To answer the question, you need to first review the number of local and long distance calls that are being charged against your current plan of your phone that you use strictly for forwarding.

Based upon that, there are non-share plans that start at 25.00 per month but don't cover long distance.  Then if I were you, I would call Rogers or chat with them and describe the minutes per month you are after and what they can offer to you.  If you choose a Rogers phone plan, you will keep your number, just change plans.  If you decide on another company, which is also an option, then you set up that plan and ask them to port and cancel your Rogers plan for that number.

You may even want to consider a pay as you go plan of some type, but certainly you can come in cheaper than 65.00 per month and meet your needs.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Bruce

I Plan to Stick Around

Hello Bruce,

Thank you for the write-up. I did do a quick review of my usage over the last few months. Effectively, there is zero data usage and no call information. It is forwarding to another local number. 

I did call Rogers and spend nearly an hour on the phone with the agent. She tried to be as helpful as possible but the offerings and plans simply didn't make any sense to me. She tried to push the ShareEverything plans because my company provides us with 30% discounts (still too expensive). She offered a $40 non-share plan that had talk and text but no data (best option so far). But overall, I wouldn't be reducing my bill very much. I was hoping for something around the $20 mark so I'll look on the Rogers site and some of the Pay As You Go plans as well.

A co-worker gave me an idea that I could also port my number over to a VOIP service like Fongo or VOIP.ms altogether and then port it back to Rogers one day if needed. Basically I still need to do some research.

At any rate, anything has to be better than paying $780 a year for a telephone number. I'm not even 100% certain if I should be very hung up on a telephone number in the first place considering that everything nowadays is associated to instant messaging/email/Internet. Unlike in past decades, a telephone number isn't even memorized -- or represents you.

Thanks again Bruce.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@tolwyn21 : You may or may not be charged for calls forwarded in a PAYGo plan. I never had to do it myself, but I believe I inquired about this when I started my $10/mo PAYGo plan 9 years ago and was advised that the time for forwarding is charged in the same way as if it were a call. For example, 3 minutes of forwarding would be charged for 3 minutes.  However, the plan I have is no longer available and new plans have a certain number of free minutes.  You may wish to ask your PAYGo questions in the PAYGo forum, as there are a few experts who monitor it.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Pay-as-You-Go/bd-p/PAYGO

When I started, I believe there was only one PAYGo option. There are now many - see link below:

https://www.rogers.com/web/content/wireless-products/plans?cm_sp=wireless-_-pay_as_you_go-_-plans_ba...

As you say though, why spend hundreds of $ per year for simply a number...  These days people change/delete numbers and e-mails all the time.