Wireless Plans & Pricing

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Wireless Plans & Pricing

Does anyone else have a problem with the outrageous prices charged for wireless plans? Many hands f us cannot afford to have data on our cells because the prices start at $90 a mth. It is just not practical. There has to be a way for them to lower their prices so everyone can afford it.

*Edited Labels*

Retired Moderator RogersCilio
Retired Moderator

Re: Wireless Plans & Pricing

Hey @Ruthie58,

Thank you for your feedback and welcome to Rogers Community Forum Smiley Happy!

I understand how important it is to have a plan that fits your budget. 

Our plans are priced competitively, and we do have different promotions and options available from time to better suit your needs.

Are you looking at activating a new line or upgrading your current device?

If you’re on a legacy plan, the choice is yours. You don’t have to change anything, in order to stay on your current plan.

You can switch to one of our Premium+ plans and get a subsidized device when it's time to upgrade. 

If you no longer have a tab and are simply looking to lower the cost of your service, please get in touch with our customer care department to see if any other price plan may be available for you.

Remember, all our Share Everything plans come bundled with a lot of value included, such as:  

• Worry-free Data Management
  • Roam Like Home 
  • Free NHL GameCentre LIVE 2016-17 subscription
  • A choice of Spotify Premium or Texture for the first 6 months with our Share Everything + plans

Hope this helps! We look forward to your future contributions!

Cheers,

RogersCilio

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Ruthie58  In answer to your question of what to do, these are the things I have learned -

The suggestions by RogersCilo are a starter point, but really didn't answer your concern fully, because Rogers is really not overly concerned as long as they keep making a profit on the higher end stuff, which they acknowledge that is exactly what they make their most profit on in their financial statements.

Do shop around all options, and that may mean compromising on what you would hope for, or moving to a different model (example pure WIFI - that is how I do it.  There are some who are using WIFI only, buying their Smart Phone upfront, and taking on no plan, unlocked in order that they can drop in a pay as you go sim as needed.

Think of how I used to live with phones - I had a home phone and Internet, no cell, but there was lots of pay phones around.  In most major cities (not a great solution for out of city), you can find WIFI at municipal centres, restaurants, you can even get a cheap plan for your car through your car manufacturer, and like in the past, I held my phoning and communications for when I was home, or payphone, and now the WIFI hot spots cover that problem.

It takes some creativity and rethinking of how you access, but it is doable.  Some people do not even have plans, just WIFI only and it works for some.

As for the sales pitch we see from Rogers - nothing against you @RogersCilio, but you have just done what Rogers has given to you, but let me comment on the sales pitch a bit.

"Our plans are priced competitively, and we do have different promotions and offers available from time to better suit your needs."

That doesn't not mean affordable.  A competitive price on a new car still doesn't mean I can afford it, so I buy used and low end without options. (or in language of telcom's "value added add-ons"

"If you’re on a legacy plan, the choice is yours. You don’t have to change anything, in order to stay on your current plan."

In my recent experience, legacy plans are now almost priced at the same level with recent price upgrades to the similiar plans".. but do look int with loyalty, they may have a promotion that will get you your data at less than the market price, but be aware of time limitations on those and other requirements that may impact your future costs.  Get all the details.

You can switch to one of our Premium+ plans and get a subsidized device when it's time to upgrade. 

You can also do s Smart Plan and get a subsidized device (not the big daddies that are currently being marketed, but reasonable phones that were the big daddies two years ago", there is also the Premium plan too.

So only question is why mention only Premium + plans?  I put forward another way to save money.  And the fact that at the end we have to then go to loyalty to look at getting a lower price once we paid for our subsidized phone, is an ackward step that people like me don't want to go through - there are companies that still drop it automatically, as the CRTC orginally intended the model to be.

Remember, all our Share Everything plans come bundled with a lot of value included, such as:  

• Worry-free Data Management  (that is a good feature - everyone offers it, and it has always been there, you just had to phone in)
  • Roam Like Home

(another good feature, if it benefits you - think carefully about it - my wife went to US today, made one text to me to say she was across boarder, and has contacted me via WIFI three times on stops and at her final destination via Facebook.  So it cost her 5.00 versus .75  No savings there for her usage pattern, we developed years ago to avoid roaming costs - we have no data, so if she did data it owuld be 5.00 + 7.50 for day.  No the full details of your options - if you don't want it, unenroll from it buy chatting or calling in.  You can turn it on anytime you need it.

• Free NHL GameCentre LIVE 2016-17 subscription

(don't care about it, some do though)

• A choice of Spotify Premium or Texture for the first 6 months with our Share Everything + plans

(don't care about it, some people do, and Rogers needs subscription numbers for those three services to report to financial statements - kind of like newspapers giving out free papers in hope you will subscribe, but they do include them in their daily subscriber count.  If you need these great, but don't let any of these things be the sole reason for changing plans or choosing a company.

Hope this helps! We look forward to your future contributions!

I don't think that it really answers the concern of the original poster, but the packages and models and suggestions as Rogers defines them have been provided, but don't necessarily address the root question that @Ruthie58 has raised as have many others.

Hopeful news though:  

May we see some positive results from the government initiative coming, and I hope some of the things I have suggested have provided food for thought on how you can get what you need and stay out of the pricing and value added game, because the rules are kind of stacked against us.

Globe and Mail https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/industry-news/innovation-minister-bains-takes-aim...

Innovation Minister Navdeep Bains takes aim at wireless affordability

Current government has decided it is time to pick up where the CRTC and last government left off and see what more can be done about affordability.

Bruce

I've Been Here Awhile

"...Our plans are priced competitively,..."  Isn't it funny that this sentence means "High Cost"  but when it appears, like in a job ad in Vancouver, refering to offered salary "...we offer a competitive salary...", it actually means the exact opposite, i.e., a piddly amount?

Living in Vancouver is oh, so amusing.  NOT.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Yes, it is interesting how industry has changed the concept of "competively priced and competition", to mean the highest price we can get without significantly impacting our subsribers to a point where our profits start falling with no expectation of increases or at least maintenance.

It is not quite what I learned in economics many years ago.  A market that has an adequate amount of supply by many suppliers will eventually lead to a market where the price by all providers will fall to the price that the market is willing to bear - in the case of oligopoly (basically a small number of providers who use what is known as market power to influence the capacity for competitors to get into the market, or to resell the big three's product).

There are a number of interesting reads on the CRTC rulings around wholesale costs to MNVO's (call them wholesale purchasers to provide to others, and companies like Freedom who are building networks, but also need access to roaming wholesale agreements in a fair way as any other company would).

The CRTC has restricted the companies like Mobile Syrup from operating in the north and setting up wholesale roaming agreements outside of their normal coverage areas when they have no plans to every have sellers in that other area (that seems somewhat fair - it would make sense that they should begin selling in the other areas), plus that there can be restrictions on how much time you spend on another provider's network - the EXT issue that some have run into, but they have also acknowledge that this is also presenting challenges for the reality that this restricts access to suppliers and consumers and needs future consideration).

They also ruled that the big three have what is known as market do have market control through agreements that can make MNVO's and other companies non-competitive, or influencing the ability of start ups to succeed in a fair competitive market in that the big three do not necessarily apply their agreements equally to outside themselves - eg. the recent ruling to lower wholesale rates in the Internet markets to the smaller companies in that they cannot charge or limit service to customers from a third party differently than if that customer was their own.

Bottom line is regulation tries to level the playing field.  It is a slow process, as the government and CRTC has to gather market information and market practices, consumers input and usage patterns, company practices, analyze it all, put forward a position paper, take submissions from providers and consumers and 3rd parties, and it takes about 3 years to work to the conclusion often and then they try to balance the right for companies to compete and make money, but also to provide fair provision of service to alls.

I agree what you have said, @StepheninrainyV that in a way, for Rogers and other big players, competitive is competition between themselves to make the most money, to have the most customers, to have the best result on some defind survey that shows them better, etc, but for a consumer, competion implies choice and ability to find the best price to meet their needs (shopping around).

I final point that the CRTC made is that in 5 years of evaluation up to 2015 that there had been relatively no change in subscriber counts and movement between companies, which implies that there is no competitive benefit to consumers to make changes.  If there was, we would be seeing much more movement in their opinion.  I would tend to agree.  When churn or movement of customers is so low, we could suggest people stay  because of loyalty or fear of customer service, but unlikely any relevant price consideration.

My own greatest concern, as with the OP is that I am being priced out of all services provided by the big three, and I will have to choose to live with less or none of the services, because I don't have the finances to have my household budget go to over 10% of my family take home income, and I am not exactly what I would call low income, just on fixed incomes and increasing other costs, while on disability, no ability to work, and my wife has just become unemployed.  So for us, we are chopping out 90% of our services from Rogers, getting a small amount from alternatives, but giving up on most, and also having to move into a rural area to get equity out of our home in GTA, which will also lead to reduced service availability anyway, so I might as well learn to live with it now.

I am glad that the government is opening this discussion up now that their is years of experience and data from the change from 3 to 2 year plans, changes in technology, new rules around wholesale pricing, easier to get out of contracts without penalities or month's notice and so forth, but as they said, even with these removal of restrictions to moving on, requirements to provide customers with notification of changes so that they don't get into high cost services or excessive services they don't need unknowlingly, people are not moving on.

Great question, we got the standard company response (not just Rogers, but every one of the big players - they all work the same), but we live in a democracy, and using a regulated industry service, so we do have forums for both discussion and to influence change.

Bruce

I've Been Around

Exactly!

On one end of the stick, we have some of the best cellular services on the face of the planet. On the other hand, we pay a heck of a lot more for it too.

I feel that part of the problem is there are only three real players in the market today, which means that due to competitive pricing they act as one conglomerate, known as Robellus.

Another part to this problem is the markup on services.... It costs the carrier next to nothing to send your text message but they pass the cost on at $0.15/message. Now, keep in mind that part of this cost goes towards network upkeep, accounts recovery, phone subsidy, wages, etc. Not all of this is bad, however, if all 4 or 5 million subscribers send one text message, the gross income would be somewhere shy of a million.... If that doesn't pad your pocket, I'm not sure what will...

I am fairly positive that we are being raked over the coals cost wise, given the amount we use our phones these days.
I'm a Regular

@Ruthie58

I would certainly agree with you, not just Rogers, but across the "Big 3", plans have become unaffordable. And gone are the discounts for BYO devices.... $10/mn, really?

I say this as a Rogers customer with a Legacy plan -- I still have my 6 GB SuperPlan for $65/mn -- works great and I even get Roam Like Home (If I decide to use it) but the issue for me in coverage. I do wish I have extended coverage, but I don't, but the added costs to switch to a new plan, or even a new carrier is ridiculous. To get similar to what I have (5 GB) I'm looking at $110 a month and I also lose my $10/GB overage cost -- the added perks such as the NHL thing and/or Spotify/Texture are added expenses that I've never use either... I feel there should be an option to omit those for a cheaper rate.

If I were majority in a Freedom Mobile area, I'd jump ship in a  heartbeat -- sure their network isn't as robust as Rogers (which I'd say is probably one of the best in Canada!) but their rates reflect that, and with their everywhere plans, for a little more, when you're not in a Freedom coverage zone, you get a set amount of calling/texts/data.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@b-ry  Your catch 22 is similiar to our family situation.  We are seeing increases in all areas of our services, and although the loyalty features of extra data, and legacy plans across the board kept our prices down for many years, in the last two years we have watched the prices jump and our home services, when they go off contract jump considerably, requiring us to consider what we will cut out, because the costs are beyond us now.

So they got us used to all the extras and so forth - they are even giving loyalty customers 2 GB extra on some plans, but that is time limited, so if you start to build it into your lifestyle, it can be very hard to cut back, some we are all left with tough decisions, how to do less for more money, or find a way, of just doing a larger cut of services (if we can find them) and cutting back on the expenditures.

When you are in my situation it isn't even a matter of cutting a little back as the prices go up, finances have changed, and when looking for something we can afford on a dramatically cut back budget, the big three have little to offer.

Fortunately, we do live in Freedom's best coverage area, can look at the other options they offer, and we have always been low end phone owners, so subsidized phones don't matter to us.  Unlocked refurbished phones are inexpensive from Staples, just make sure that the carrier you choose and those phones match each other.

When you mention BYOD @b-ry you are right - there is actually no savings if you don't use data, and if you have bought a smart phone plan, again, there is no savings, you only get the savings if you go to the premium plans, which you will get a larger front end subsidy on the better phone, and when done the term, you may be able to get a reduction of plan from loyalty. (They need a new name - often just customer relations now - because there is not much loyalty offers going on anymore) - in fact, you are often better off switching companies and get their new customer discounts, and then consider going back.

This is what happened about 15 years ago with the long distance companies, we switched back and forth between companies, until we finally settled into Rogers Home Phone as their prices came in on the low end undercutting Bell and the LD plans, but now, those rates for all the big two in Ontario have climbed into insane price ranges of 50-80.00 depending upon options. - You will get a one year discount (not sure what happens after that) if you bundle.

I can see @b-ry why you are currently sticking that plan, but remember that can be withdrawn at any time.  For a long time, we were on a four member family plan, but we are now down to 2 people, and the recent increases on add-ons that we needed and the base rates have pushed up to almost the current 1 GB plans, if I stay on text and talk only.  For the three years as they drove the prices up, we bought our phones up front, because the almost 40.00 per month we were looking at to replace a phone price by about 3 times.  So they get you coming and going.

Oh well, you have given a good suggestion for those of us who could benefit from Freedom, plus by shopping around all company options, beyond the big three, and cutting down your needs - how much long distance do you do, and what are the rates, how often are you out of local areas (and don't we love the new marketing pitch on home phones - free unlimited local home phone - is that the next one we will see is the end of free unlimited home phoning), can you use WIFI alternatives, etc.

I relate fully to each of you, Rogers has nothing to offer me anymore to stay, and at the moment the price point for our current service mix is manageable, but at the limit we can handle (we have no data, and our phones are paid out, and we get all of 10% discount, plus the BCB discount of 12% on our plan), but the 12% will go once we move our home services out, which will lead us to looking elsewhere in all probability.

They got us all with all the loyalty discounts, the loyalty extras, but as times change, and the move to competitively matching the high prices of everyone, and offering value add-ons that have little value, we suddenly begin to look at major price increases to keep what we got used to on those freebies and discounts.

So for me and my wife, it has been six months looking at options, and our decisions are made - it is just a matter of implementing those changes, which we have not finalized our next steps, but customer relations already has on file that we are leaving, and that they have nothing to offer other than the fact that we will call and cancel at some point.  I don't see them offering much to keep us, they have already done that route, only small differences, and it doesn't meet our needs.

So it still stands that @Ruthie58 's question is one that really has only one answer, we learn to shop around, identify what we can live with, and the days of them providing any competitive offers to keep us seems to have been set aside.  I guess given the reality that in the recent past, as the CRTC reports show, we don't leave, we try to get better deals to stay, have in the past, but those are not present much anymore.  So now the move seems to be to try to steal customers away from each other, and recover the reduced rates in the second later years.

I keep speaking on each response from people on this topic, because for those who sound like they are reaching their limits of their budgets, like us, or may even be beyond them and need to cut back, I try to educate on the realities, where things on regulatory side are going, and ideas from my own experience.

Wish it was different, but the shareholders and CEO levels keep making more money, while we keep paying more, and "restructuring for improved service and efficiencies", as reported in some companies financial reports and constant changes in the product mix lead to us generally getting less at more cost, so the senior levels and shareholders are still making money, and we keep staying.  No more for me.

Goal is by end of summer we will be done all our changes, and we will have moved on.  After 25+ consecutive years, and over 40 lifetime years with Rogers, I have been given no choice but move on, and live with less.

This is what real choice is about when real choice is not available between companies due to market control.

Bruce

Bruce

I've Been Here Awhile

Look at the USA. They have awesome phone plans that do not cost the customer an arm and a leg. I spoke with a Rogers rep once, about this very subject and her response was that the USA has a lot more companies providing wireless service and can therefore keep their prices low. That is a bunch of hogwash if I ever heard it. Last time I looked, the air waves were the same everywhere and they're free!!!!!!  So why the huge prices. Seems quite absurd to me!!!!!

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

There is a good explanation why Canadian cell phone plans are so much more expensive than those in the U.S. We have a larger land mass, but only 1/10 the population. Cell phone rates are even cheaper in third world countries for the same reason.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario