Wireless Plan Grandfathered?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Wireless Plan Grandfathered?

I spoke with a Rogers rep in a department store and he told me that since my 3 year plan is completed in October I could upgrade to a new phone now with no added charge. He then told me that if I didn't do this before August 1st I would not be able to carry my current plan over to my new phone.

Does anyone know if this is true? I called and spoke to a different Rogers rep and they said that it wasn't.

***Edited Labels.***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Wireless Plan Grandfathered?

Possibly yes and no.

Depends on what phone you upgrade to.

Certain phones (usually the newest ones) have a minimum plan $ amount necessary to be able make that new contract (to help recover the cost of the phone over the 2 year period).
IF this amount is HIGHER than what your current plan is, than YES you would have to change plans.

The Smart Picks (the slightly older models) have a lesser $ value needed.

So really depends on where your plan falls into it.

I Plan to Stick Around

I would definitely get anything with regard to upgrading in writing.  Do NOT rely on spoken word, neither from a rep in-store nor on the phone.  Rogers (and the other two incumbents) desperately want people off their more reasonably priced 3 year plans and onto their far more expensive "share plus" plans.  These new plans are especially over-priced if you're a solo customer ie not sharing your data and expenses with a family member etc.

They are really tightening up on upgrades and many of the old grandfathered plans (including the $30 6GB data add-on) are having their prices raised once off-contract.  Tread very carefully.  The subsidy you'd get by "upgrading" to one of the new plans will be nothing compared to the savings of staying on your current plan and simply buying a phone outright.

I'm an Advisor

I have a similar question, but it doesn't involve an upgrade. I also have a 3 year plan for an iPhone 4S which ends in October of this year. I have no interest in upgrading to another phone, so am wondering what happens at the end of October and if I need to take some action by then.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As long as you dont change anything.. it will just keep going as it is.. no changes.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello jimboden

Nothing will happen. You will just on a month to month basis and they will be contacting you a few times to get u back on a contract, give u discounts to stay and sign another contract. You can stay month to month basis but you won't get any type of discounts or anything of that nature unless u sign a contract or upgrade.
I'm an Advisor

Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated.

I'm an Advisor

Meowmix:

You're right about the marketing campaign and it's already started. A few days ago, I received a text from Rogers about upgrading and talking about my Flextab. I don't have a Flextab on my account, so have no idea how much is left on it. Can't be much, though as the 3 year term only has a few months to go.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello jimboden

They are basically telling you that your Flextab ( cancellation fee or upgrade fee ) & all. They may stop a bit but will keep doing it until you cave in or just leave.

You may have a small amount like ( $60-$80 ) left until October hits which will be $0 at the end. If i were you & don't want a contract, i would just stay with this month to month but any discounts you want or new phone you will need to upgrade or sign a 2 year term ( unless you buy out the phone outright. )
I'm an Advisor

Meowmix:

Thanks for all that, much appreciated. I'm thinking of switching to pay as you go or whatever it's called. I don't need a data plan and make very few calls. My issue with only having a cell phone is that I live in a basement suite and get a very poor signal, although I can use RON with my Wi-Fi connection. I don't know if I can get RON as a separate service, but suspect not. These are all things I'll be looking at.