cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I use a purchased Ignite TV box on my account?

egberto
I've been around

I recently bought  a new xfinity Xi6-T, but Rogers will not activate the box and want me to rent another for $8/month.

The box recognizes Rogers but of course fails activation.

What ever happens to fair play practice? I own 2 old PVR before the upgrade but I cant re-use any of them too.

**Labels Added**

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Why can't I use a purchased Ignite TV box on my account?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@egberto  At this time, there is no option for us to buy Ignite set-top boxes from Rogers.  Their systems would not support such an activation let alone activate a box that was acquired from a third party.  The same goes for those that acquire an XB6 or XB7 modem/gateway.

The only way to "own" an Ignite set-top box is to pay a non-return fee on rental equipment.  Even still, I don't think that it would be possible to activate such a device if it were, say, passed on to a family member that is currently an Ignite TV subscriber.

Lurker_Returns
I'm a reliable contributor
This is no different than what Rogers did during the digital cable days.

You could never purchase a box from another cable provider and provision it on the Rogers system.

Now, you used to be able to outright purchase a box from Rogers to use on Rogers system, but that stopped because rentals make money......m

After about 2 years, yes, rogers is making more money, vs outright buying.
Only advantage with something like this system.. if there are ANY Problems, or if they bring out a newer/better model box, you can swap to the new one at any time.

What concerns me more is possibly where the box was purchased from?
I guess it might be available somewhere like amazon or something...
BUT if it was a private sale.. 
A ) The OP wont be able to probably get their money back from the person.
B ) Hopefully the person who sells it, realizes that if they no longer had ignite, they needed to return those... that they will get charged for the non return....

Lurker_Returns
I'm a reliable contributor
I read it as the OP bought a Comcast box from the States, and not a box that had been originally used on the Rogers network.

me too, comcast though owns the technology, the boxes are still considered different, they have different serial number ranges, and different software. it might not be possible for a number of reasons for rogers to connect this box to your account, incompatible billing codes, incompatible software, incompatible serial number, etc. your best bet would be to return it if possible and call Rogers and inquire about getting a new box added to your account
Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 in conversation