Voice Mail from Rogers regarding cell phone account. 855-862-6423

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Voice Mail from Rogers regarding cell phone account. 855-862-6423

Hi there.  For quite a while now we've been getting phone calls from 855-862-6423.  They say it is a matter regarding a cell phone account and to call back.  However none of us in the house have a Rogers cell phone, though one of us did years ago.

After looking up the phone number online it becomes a little more confusing.   The info given states that it might be collection agenies, scams, process servers and all the way up to it being a legit call from Rogers. 

Is there an admin here that can dig into this a bit and confirm that this is in fact a legit Rogers number?

Thanks.

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Voice Mail from Rogers regarding cell phone account. 855-862-6423

Apparently that number, IS connected with a collection agency.

Rogers DOES use collections agencys, to collect on defunct accounts, etc...
BUT.. that agency, is based out of the US, etc...  so wouldnt be collecting for a cell phone account here, etc.

All in all, i would assume it a SCAM.

(because, all being said.. you can FAKE a listing of what your number comes up as on caller ID, etc..

generally if a collection agency would be trying to get ahold of you, they would call LIVE, and not ROBOCALL with a dailer which leaves an auto message to call back) 

That there is a LARGE number of people who report NEVER having any rogers accounts EVER and getting called by them, etc.

Unfortunately, this is a USER to USER forum... you might have better luck if you tried asking on the rogers facebook page, or twitter @rogershelps

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for your reply.  I noticed a few Rogers people seem to post here now and again so thought I'd give this a try.  And I don't actually have a Facebook or Twitter account. 

One thing I meant to mention in my original post, but forgot to, was that the voice on the voice mail is the actual female Rogers 'greeting' voice. The same one you get when you call any Rogers line  So if it is a scam then they have done their homework.

All in all this is quite strange.

Thanks again.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not that you want to AVOID a collection agency.. but if they really are trying to get ahold of you.. they will try by other means as well.... mailing, and even to your door sometimes.
(i have been getting mailings for the PREVIOUS owner of my home lately, from a collection agency >.>)

I'm a Trusted Contributor

that is a call from credit operations which is account receiveables for rogers.. Just call them and advise them they are calling the wrong # - they will remove  the CONTACT # as long as it isn't a phone # on the bill.  

Cat Happy

I've Been Here Awhile

Recieved a call today at 10:43am from (855) 862-6423 claiming to be Rogers with important info about my wireless rogers account -WHICH I DON'T HAVE. They wanted me to call them back at that number.

I decided to post this because I found this on 800notes.com:

"No it's a Phishing scam.
Call 1-888-Rogers1 and talk to the real Company!!!!!
Confirmed by Rodgers themselves."

I'm a Reliable Contributor

I don't have to worry about call scams cause I never answer 1800 numbers.

I've Been Around

This HAS to be a scam. Here's how I know:

I was called on my cell phone from the number displayed as 855-862-6423. The call display said "Rogers" but there were several blank spaces in front of the name which made me suspicious before I answered. The  indian sounding fellow told me my account was in arrears for 90 some odd dollars (not the amount of my monthly charges - too high). I told them my cell phone is paid as part of a corporate plan. My cell is not paid by me. All the numbers listed together on our Rogers business account are paid together. I know because I receive and approve the invoices. I give them to our accountant who then cuts a cheque to Rogers.

The caller couldn't seem to understand that my cell was paid as part of a corporate account. He started to pressure me (another sign it's a scam) but I insisted that I NEVER pay the bill myself. I have had the number with Rogers for over 3 years so it's not like it was an issue from the previous owner (which happened to be my husband and I ported the number over to Rogers 3 yrs ago).

This is a scam people. Don't fall for it.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thirsty pretty much said everything. There is definitely a scam going on.

As a general rule, everytime a company call you regarding your bills(Rogers or other) NEVER call them back at the number provided. Always call the general line, as per their respective website, to make sure you are calling the right company.

Also, never give any personal information to someone that is calling you. A valid company will always have all those information already. They might ask you a few question to confirm they are speaking to the right person(Are you Bob? Do you still live at 123 any street? and so on) but if someone from *Rogers* ask your name and your adress(or your credit card number!!) never tell them anything.

And on a final note, always be wary of phone call telling you you *owe* money without prior notice. Any business worth its salt will contact you way more softly( money owed on the bill, courtesy call to remind you, without pressure, you owe them money) before they will ever resort to threathen customer to pay NOW.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@godcyric wrote:

Thirsty pretty much said everything. There is definitely a scam going on.

As a general rule, everytime a company call you regarding your bills(Rogers or other) NEVER call them back at the number provided. Always call the general line, as per their respective website, to make sure you are calling the right company.

Also, never give any personal information to someone that is calling you. A valid company will always have all those information already. They might ask you a few question to confirm they are speaking to the right person(Are you Bob? Do you still live at 123 any street? and so on) but if someone from *Rogers* ask your name and your adress(or your credit card number!!) never tell them anything.

And on a final note, always be wary of phone call telling you you *owe* money without prior notice. Any business worth its salt will contact you way more softly( money owed on the bill, courtesy call to remind you, without pressure, you owe them money) before they will ever resort to threathen customer to pay NOW.

There is only one caveat to the above i would say ocassionaly.

Rogers, and sometimes other companies... sometimes DO use 3rd party companys for call outs, for extra promotions, etc.
(Zed communications for one, is one that rogers uses).  They sometimes may offer you a specific deal.  If you dont take it at the time... calling back to the regular Rogers line, will not do  you any good, as the reps there, DO NOT have access to the deals that the 3rd party company does.  You need to call that group back.

Topic Stats
  • 17 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 13 in conversation