cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading phone early on Upfront Edge

Wetrider
I've been around

I wanted to take advantage of pricing right now and upgrade my current phone 4 months earlier than the end of my 2 year Upfront Edge financing. I have $200 left to finish and I believe I can upgrade now if I pay the balance of that financing and just return the old phone. However, I was told today by an agent in chat that I would not only have to clear out my finance balance of $200 but pay the addition Upfront Edge of $600 because I am backing out of the contract by upgrading early. I have no interest in buying out the phone. I figured I'd just get a new phone sooner? This doesn't make sense to me because all the FAQs indicate I can just return my old phone and start financing a new phone. Can someone please clarify because my gut tells me the agent's info is incorrect.

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Upgrading phone early on Upfront Edge

RogersZia

Hi @Wetrider,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

I think this specific scenario requires a little clarity. So basically The Upfront Edge program lowers the upfront cost of your device by your Upfront Edge Amount. You agree to settle your Upfront Edge Amount at a later date by either returning the device, or repaying your Upfront Edge Amount.

If you upgrade your phone within your 2-year Upfront Edge term (months 2-24), you have 2 options:

Keep your phone and repay your Upfront Edge amount. If you keep your phone, the Upfront Edge amount will be charged on your next bill.

OR

Return your phone in good working condition via Care, Self-Serve (with hardware upgrade) or a participating retail location when you upgrade your device. If you return your phone, you will not be charged your Upfront Edge amount. However, if you upgrade early you will be charged the remainder of your financing amount.

Hope this helps!

RogersZia

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

RogersZia

Hi @Wetrider,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

I think this specific scenario requires a little clarity. So basically The Upfront Edge program lowers the upfront cost of your device by your Upfront Edge Amount. You agree to settle your Upfront Edge Amount at a later date by either returning the device, or repaying your Upfront Edge Amount.

If you upgrade your phone within your 2-year Upfront Edge term (months 2-24), you have 2 options:

Keep your phone and repay your Upfront Edge amount. If you keep your phone, the Upfront Edge amount will be charged on your next bill.

OR

Return your phone in good working condition via Care, Self-Serve (with hardware upgrade) or a participating retail location when you upgrade your device. If you return your phone, you will not be charged your Upfront Edge amount. However, if you upgrade early you will be charged the remainder of your financing amount.

Hope this helps!

RogersZia

I signed up to Rogers and got a new phone through the RPP program on Black Friday.  At the time, the terms were $10/mo for the phone, $50 for 20Gb with an Upfront Edge of $260.

The phone was shipped on Cyber Monday, and by that time, the terms offered were $0/mo for the phone, $50 for 20 Gb and a $480 Upfront Edge payment.  I know that the change to the monthly finance has simply been kicked down the road to the end of the term.  I had always intended to sell my current device and use the proceeds to pay down the finance, but there is no finance, just the final Upfront Edge.

However, in chatting with an agent on Live Chat, they told me that I cannot pay down the Upfront Edge at any time during the term, and that I must pay $480 at the end.  My only options are to cancel and get a new plan, but the Black Friday and Cyber Monday promotions are over, and would be more expensive than what I have now.

So, can anyone tell me if this is true?  

raymoews
I've been here awhile
I decided to upgrade my phone early and return old phone. I paid the balance of old phone but I am told I have breached contract by upgrading early. Now I have to pay $650 and have 2 phones... With a higher bill to finance new phone.
Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 in conversation