Upgrade Phone But Avoid Changing Plans?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Upgrade Phone But Avoid Changing Plans?

@reymisterio

Based upon current experience - take a look at the no term month by month contract prices for the phone you are looking at.

If you want it at a reduced price you may be looking at losing your existing plan, but in an earlier post here they posted prices of phones available with existing plans and committing to a two year term again.

You may have to go to a new plan though.  Discuss options, and the one that is always available at this moment, is buy the phone at full price - no term - on your old plan.

You may need a new SIM card depending upon the change in phones - when you call in to activate, or do at the store, becareful if they start to offer add-ons that are more value at cheaper - some of the new value paks are good deals for share anything plans, but not so for loyalty plans.

Get all details on your old plan in front of you, and your cost per month, and any bonus options given over time that may be expiring.  Look at the total price for your current services, figure out what the cost of the share anything plan that is advised to you - take the difference in price between the two plans, multiply by the term the increase in price, and you may find that over two years, you may pay more over the 2 years then buying the phone on no term.

But certainly, there may be new features you want, and to get these features, you may need to change.

Do your own cost/value calculation - be careful about the value sales pitch - often the value being proposed to you may be something you really don't want and don't want to pay an increased plan price to get them.

These include things like Shomi, Roam like home, etc.  They may not be of any benefit to you.

Good luck and happy shopping.

Bruce

I've Been Around

Hello 

My situation is that i have a plan and i want to upgrade my phone to a new one bc my current one is damaged 

Rogers wont let me upgrade unless i buy a new phone outright which i think is unfair 

or swwtich my plan to one that is more expeinsive and provideless service then the one i currently have

How can i get rogers to susidize the phone i want  and keep my plan ? or renew my old three year plan ?

ty 

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @red_out23

Unfortunately you won't be able to retain your current plan if u want to upgrade. All carriers as of last year made this a real to force customers to get a new expensive plan if u want to upgrade.

The only other thing I can suggest is contacting Rogers via calling them and speaking to retentions or see if @CommunityHelps can do something for you.
Rogers Employee lockdown2341
Rogers Employee

@red_out23 

Three year plans don't exist anymore for Consumer/Small Business customers, as per the CRTC. So it would be impossible to renew your three year plan.

Right now the only way to have your phone subsidized is to be on an eligible plan, same as always. As said in one of the earlier posts, you'd need to weigh the pros and cons of changing your plan versus buying the phone outright. The new plans offer some good stuff like Roam Like Home, the choice of one of the 3 experiences, the date notifications, etc. Then again I know a lot of people don't care about these things and only care about the included minutes and data, and in a lot of cases you had unlimited calling and a decent data package on the older plans for a lot less then what it is now. It is a difficult choice to make.

If you really don't want to change the plan or buy the phone outright you need to weight your options. Call into customer care and ask to speak with customer relations. No need to threaten to cancel or anything; if you refuse their help outright and ask to speak to that department they will allow you to, as long as you authenticate your identity first. Whatever they can offer you would be the best offer for your situation that's available.

I'm a Senior Advisor

And there in lies my biggest beef about the current model.  Of course, it has always been on eligible devices and plans that we got discounts.

But lets consider the following - I have a share talk and text plan (originally a family plan.  We have made no changes to those plans over the years, other than to upgrade under the old model of locking to 3 years - yes, I know that changed things around, as my understanding is that it generally takes a company around 2 years to recover the costs related to putting a customer on as a new customer, and then cancelling them if they choose.

So the three year model, with the incentive of a subsidized phone allowed the companies to generally ensure keeping a customer beyond the 2 year break even point. And for years the staff would try hard to design subsidized plans, add-ons, and other things that made it beneficial to stay on and take on a new 3 year plan with a subdized plan and some freebees.  The longer they kept you, the better the profit.

With the imposed 2 year model, all companies went to a supposedly transparent model of plan costs up front and you knew the "flex-plan" cost of the subsidized phone (what is being subsidized by the way is Interest - it is basically a 2 year interest free loan to a maximum of 500.00 (you save 20.00) and you pay the balance on more premium phones.

The smart phone and premium phone plans reflect this difference and provide for a greater subsidy, but you are paying for it in the plan - plan cost, plus the flex tab (or what ever it is called - ECF) is your total bill, and if you cancel, you pay out the balance, and any cancellation fees to the limit that CRTC permits, but be aware of activation fees and discounts of these fees as incentives to be online, or other things.

It becomes a very complex model for any buyer to understand, in particular a long term customer who was under the old model for 10 as long as they have been cell phones available.

Back to my beef though - Rogers has made a decision that people who want to be text and voice users only cannot have good quality add-ons anymore - roaming plans are expensive (so why not go share everything with roam like home), but what if you really only roam once per year; can't add on small data bundels except at high daily rates (unless you want share everything plans with data in them), share everythig plans without data do not permit you to bring your own phone for a discount, so if you want a temporary add on to meet your needs, you cannot just get what you need, then cancel it, you get stuck in your share everything plan (unless you do it as BYOD, which I think you can then switch up and down from your desired plans, but be aware that you may be losing good add-ons that used to be on the talk and text only.)

Now go to other companies, and you can byod to any plan, you can choose devices on any plan (you just pay the true pay over time price).  The only really big difference between Rogers is that their choices are extremely limited and lean towards the incentives to take you to the more expensive plans that for many of us are way beyond our needs and in some cases means if anything goes wrong in your life.  Even their partner company Fido gives BYOD to all plans and allows you the have a wide range of add-ons.  Yes, you are approaching the price of share everything, but for some of us, we need those add-ons only for a month or two, then we go back to our lower priced plans that meet our needs.

Rogers used to offer this, but have moved away from this pick and pay model, to bundled models.

So, as said, take your time, start from the framework of what you want, if they say no, then ask, what can you do, and ask for customer relations.  You don't need to threaten to leave, that backs both of you into a corner, but work out your best deal, and make your decision.

For now, I stick because my wife in particular doesn't want to change.  Changing up companies carries its own difficulties of unknown relationships, how well the switchover goes from provider to provider and how well they support you if they go wrong.  In general, I like most of what Rogers does, but their track record for reliable services on the web side of things, Navigtr, and apps to access services, plus pricing structurres, and being able to make changes to a plan without making errors that take a very long time and hard work to get fixed has not been good for me.

But I do know all my options, and when I see a new person asking the same questions I have been through, I don't encourage them to move on, but I provide them my own experience and encourage them to educate themselves to these new models and the reality that recent changes in services have been full of problems that have not been fixed rapidly, and to make their own decisions based upon cost for "true", or your own value, not the marketeting departments view of what they suggest is value.

You make your own decision on value and then decide what you want to do and shop around.  I now not an easy thing to do when your phone has just died, but do remember that only 20 years ago, most of us did not have pvr's, data, or even cell phones for that matter.  Some of us didn't even have set top boxes, just basic cable plans plugged into multiple tv's with tuners in our tv.

Life goes on.  I know my stories are lengthy, and I need to learn from the recent short summary given on my and other views, but I do hope it helps.

And it is nice to hear representatives of the board acknowledging that some of us have absolutely no interest in the new fangle dangle things as my father used to say, and that we need to carefully assess our choices.  

Thank you, that is the message I have been trying to get across in my own verbous way for a while - I just want to have a range of choices on services, and purchases (as we used to), and if Rogers can't provide it, then I look elsewhere and make my decision from that, but it doesn't hurt to ask to talk to a different level if we are not satisfied, or at least escalate and communicate why we are upset as long term customers, and then we can voice our displeasure and make our decisions from there.

Bruce

I've Been Around

Well frankly speaking , what rogers is doing is kicking people off there retention plans

getting them to pay more for less

not being solution focused 

I called up asking to renew my plan and get a new phone what ever the subsidy is, i do not tink it is right that i have to get a older model instead of the newest and latest 

The funny thing is i want to give rogers money easily and they are not making it easy 

Rogers Employee lockdown2341
Rogers Employee

@red_out23 Yes but if you're old retention plan was set up for a three year term, then there's no choice but to take you off the plan if you want to upgrade since three year terms don't exist anymore. Also, your plan wouldn't exist anymore so there would be no way to make a two year term version of that plan.

I used to work for another wireless company for two and a half years and it was the same thing. If you weren't on a currently available, in-market price plan, or a recent plan that was eligible for the subsidy, you had to change the plan. Rogers isn't any different in this regard.

What is in/isn't in the plans isn't relevant to the conversation however. The topic is asking if you can upgrade your phone and not change your plan. Unless you have a Share Everything plan, then no, you have to change the plan.

As always someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

I Plan to Stick Around

my family has everything with rogers.  bill is about XXX a month.  phone, cable, internet, 5 phones...the plan is 25 years old and even tho we are on share everything we can't upgrade without 10 dollars more on each line.  Its crazy we are such good customers.  They wont give me a priv for 400. they want 650.  I feel like its just a scam to milk more money out of loyal customers.  not happy that i cant get a phone at the advertised price.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

@lockdown2341 wrote:

What is in/isn't in the plans isn't relevant to the conversation however. The topic is asking if you can upgrade your phone and not change your plan. Unless you have a Share Everything plan, then no, you have to change the plan.

This is precisely why customers are better off switching. Competitors are offering much better deals than Rogers. They offer a variety of 2-year phone plans with subsidized phones. With Rogers, you have to upgrade to their most expensive Share Everything plans while I can get a no charge subsidized phone and plan with a competitor for about half the price I would pay with Rogers. I am also talking about the competitors who use the exact same networks as the Big 3. 

I'm a Senior Advisor

Yes, that is the simple answer for sure - the question began as can I upgrade the phone but avoide changing plans - answer - no - but you can buy the phone outright (same as an upgrade, but paid in a different way, because we aren't getting a free or discounted phone, we are getting a payment schedule, built in the bill along with things we don't want.

So no, unlike in the older model of three years ago, where you could call in, or they called you, and for signing a three year plan, you really did get a free phone. It doesn't work that way, but Rogers has chosen to make the decision to offer the reduced up front cost with a payment plan only when forcing you to higher level services than you had before, which is ok if you want it, but clearly the person whanted to know about not changing plans.

So yes explain why it is different (the sales model changed in between then and now and now you can't).  Would you like to hear about the new plans and ways to get a new phone without laying down a large month on change, but you will be paying for it over two years.

If I say no, then I don't want to hear about all the "wonderful things" I can get with my new plans - the bottom line to the answer is "no".

So listen to the customers question and explain why it is that way, if they ask, other wise, the conversation is done.

If they are like me, they will then look on the internet compare all the prices out there, and they will find that there are better plans (my definition of better, not Rogers or any other companies), based upon my needs - I don't want to force my needs into your new plan.

And don't get too excited that oh Rogers listened and is now giving a very basic 25.00 plan on phones and the same on Internet - that was mandated by CRTC and has to be in place by March.  The other companies had 29.00 plans where you bring your own phone and get far services than the similiar Rogers plan.

Bottom line, if I say I don't want to hear about new plans since I can't get the old model, If I say I don't want to know, then don't tell me.  I will ask what I want to know and recognize it is not to change my plan with Rogers, it is to do comparisons.

But then again, in an article about the new CEO, he made it very clear that his intent was to focus on teir 2 and 3 plans, by getting customers to pay more money for value added services and larger bundles, and that as for teir 1, he is ok if they move on.  He knows his number of tier one and two and three were at risk of falling (tier one for sure has), but he was not concerned because their profits would go making more money from larger packages and value added services from a smaller customer base.

So when I read the article, it became clear just what he was trying to achieve.

The second tier companies (the Fido's, now the Shaw in the future, the virgin, koodo, the fist tier ones from gas stations, walmart, and so forth, do an adequate job of meeting the needs of those users who just want a small bundle of limited services, and a bit of break on paying for a phone).  They all offer ways to reduce the up front cost of phones, to bring your old phone to a low end plan, unlocked - Rogers does not market that - maybe with customer retentions you will get it, but not encouraged, and large range of all tiers.  So I guess for those of us who are basic phone users and don't want to pay an arm and a leg to get services they never use - it is like Cable and Internet - I have never watched Shomi, or any of the NHL offerings, although I have glanced at them, but would never pay for them. Internet add ons - tech expert - I am my own expert, or I will go to my local guy if I can't do it, like going to your local mechanic, not the dealer - just easier to work with. I don't need unlimited anything - I use 30 gig on my internet, don't use data on a phone - wifi is great and I can wait, and in an emergency, I will pay the cost for access - that is the key, do you want to pay insurance for what may happend, or just save money along the way and pay for it when it happens.  No extended replacement and warrenty plans for me.  The list of "added value items", although valuable to others, not for me.  So give me a basic plan, and use the old model of "add-ons".  There is basically only a couple of marketed add-ons now, where as go to say Fido their sister company, same network, same billing (wonder if theirs is reliable, unlike ours), and have the full buffet to choose from, or just buy the basic meal.

Enough said, Can you upgrade phone but avoid changing plans - not with rogers.

Everything else is Rogers convincing us why it is now better for us this way, and us saying it is not. And some going along because it did offer something they were willing to pay.  But for most, we have very few choices with Rogers.

Bruce