Upgrade Phone But Avoid Changing Plans?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Upgrade Phone But Avoid Changing Plans?

Forced to give up my plan if I upgrade my phone.

Seriously considering to move to another provider as my phone is on it's last legs but I can't keep my current grandfathered plan if I choose to upgrade to any good phones. After almost 20 years as a customer, I am stuck with either buying a new phone on my own or sign a contract with another provider.

I am low on voice usage and heavy on data, the new plans that I have to choose will cost me a lot more money without any benefits. While a few of my friends has switched over to Bell with a competitive plan and a free phone, me and my wife have stayed with Rogers as I had always been treated as a loyal customer up until now where the phone rep is so set in stone that I can either pick a crappy phone or move on to a new plan.

My flexTAB has been paid off completely and my contract is up in 4 months, I am seriously considering porting my number and say goodbye to Rogers and my wife is contract is up a few months behind me. I hate Telus so it's out of the question, but what Bell is offering is definitely tempting.

Steven

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @piusma

Bell and most carriers are doing the same. Just wanted u to understand that as leaving Rogers for another carrier that does the same thing would be silly but again it's to each their own.

Have you spoken to Rogers team on the phone (management or loyalty department) to see what they can offer you seeing as u have been a long time customer?
I've Been Here Awhile

I am a retail manager and I know what it means to take care of my customers. I have spoken to the phone rep and had been transferred to another rep but the answers were all the same. Upgrading from a $70 plan to a $100 plan with no benefit is makes absolutely no sense to me. I would rather not complain and be someone's pain unless I am being mistreated. In this case, I don't think I was being mistreated but I'd rather say the product offering no longer meet my needs / expectation.

I don't know what is Bell doing with their existing customers but when my friend switched over to Bell, their plans were at least as competitive as my existing one and it cost them only $150 on a 2 years contract.

I consider myself a low maintenance customer and I only call them every 2-3 years when my contract is up or due for a hardware upgrade. Have preauthorized payment for my bills and don't like huggling as I am usually on the other side of the counter.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @piusma

If you are a retail manager ( for Rogers) don't you already get discounts on plans from Rogers.... That's how our retail manager gets. If you are a retail manager for another company then that won't make much of a matter here as its different companies and policies but i do agree.

Yes their new customers will get some good plans but also your friend didn't know how it's the same thing with all carriers. In all as i said, contact Rogers management or loyalty department and see what they can do for u. There isn't much normal reps can do as they don't have the authority to do so. You should know this as a retail manager as normal rep or employee can't do much unless they speak to the manager or the customer speak to the manager.

I do agree with u on the plans though.
I've Been Around

I have the same problem :(. I have a family plan. Currently each phone included in this plan costs $25.00 per line. I cannot upgrade my phone unless I change plans. This would mean a charge of $75.00 per line. Not happy with Rogers at all.
I've Been Here Awhile

@Meowmix No, I am not a retail manager for Rogers. My career is a retail manager and I distinguish good services and bad services easily. I am also good at sales and driving business and I can see why they are doing this to everyone. Because they needed to deliver better numbers to their shareholders to propel their stock.

However, forcing your long term customer to move from a $70 plan to a $120 plan on a 2 year contract means an extra $1200 in total cost in 24 months. That is more than any of the phones they are offering. In most cases, they sold you a phone and jack you an extra few hundred dollars spreading the cost over your contract and trying to hide the fact that they are milking you in the name of the contracts are 2 years instead of 3.

There are a few ways of increasing your sales, getting people to buy more, adding value to their service or raising the price tag. In this case, they have chosen to just raise the price. As a matter of fact, there isn't much ongoing cost for their network and they are making more profit than they were back in the days. And this is a saturated market and if you can't bring in new customers, you better at least retain your old ones.

The way I see it, in the past 20 years, between me and my wife, we have gave them over $30000 of business. And it really is no services needed on their end other than helping you choose your plan and pick your phone. And now I could get a better deal with Bell as a new customers makes me feel like I should just explore their options.

Would you think that I do not know about the retention department after 20 years? I worked for Cantel AT&T before it was even Rogers for a bit. The fact that I know dealing with the retention department determines your plan options and it's cost totally base on how many credits they add to your existing account. I have a friend who calls the retention department every 3 months to complain pays $50 for his plan which has better option than mine. Do I want to do that? No. It's not just about the money, it's about Rogers needs to see values in us long term accounts. I shouldn't need to bargain to get what I had and their offer should not base on my bargaining skills.

If the retention department is going to turn into a sales center and the managers need to handle simple things like this, there is an issue.

Ever imagine if someone starts a 'how to deal with Rogers 101' and post it on facebook? Then overnight the retention department will need 10X the reps and the people who really needed assistance will never get through. It wasn't never meant to be an official channel to achieve your discount.

This a free trade world, if I don't like buying this product and service, I would just shop next door. My contract is almost up and I am going to look deep before I committee to Rogers again, especially when I have 3 children who will eventually need to have their own mobiles.

Steven.
I've Been Around

Upgrade to 6s

Alright, so my three year contract on my iPhone 5 expires in December and I'm looking into upgrading to the 6s. But, I want to keep the amazing loyalty plan I currently have. Any idea on how much it would cost to upgrade/how could I go about attempting to keep my plan?

Thanks in advance
Connor

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @connor6

You would have to contact Rogers in order to get that information. Either by calling them or if @CommunityHelps can PM you and see what they can do for u! The forums aee self serve so we can't access your information.

I'm Here A Lot

hello i have a question, im eligible for a phone upgrade at the moment, but i do not want to change my existing plan. i would like to keep that plan but upgrade my phone, would that be possible?, i read here that some people was able to do that, thank you

Retired Moderator RogersSannecia
Retired Moderator

Hello @ reymisterio

Welcome to the Forums!

If you are not already on one, you may need to upgrade to one of our Share Everything  plans on a 2-year term, in order to upgrade to the latest phone.

If you choose not to upgrade the plan, you can pay the No Term price of the device.

Hope this helps.

RogersSannecia