Upgrade Phone But Avoid Changing Plans?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Upgrade Phone But Avoid Changing Plans?

Gdkitty ...I don't see where it is about the plans as much as it is about Rogers inability to compete.  Unless I'm mistaken  Johnny Rocket had a plan he was happy with with Rogers but Rogers just couldn't compete. Maybe a little less zing and a little more good old  bang for the customers buck wouldn't go far amiss.    Smiley Wink

Part of that certainly seems to stem from the marketing and sales people making everything so complicated that even their own staff have trouble fielding questions and giving reasonable answers.

My last bill still doesn't have the details back on it .... what's up with that? Is there a charge for that now to?

@Gdkitty wrote:

The old addage of 'You cant please 100% of the people 100% of the time' sort of falls into this.

Not everyone will be happy.. not all plans will fit all users.  Unless they provided like 30 different plans to cover everything.

Yes, not everyone needs a bunch of data, a ton of minutes, need to call everywhere, etc.
But there are lots that do.  I would say probably a good 60+ or more of the people using stuff now, do use a lot of data, etc.. so going with one of these newer type plans, make a lot more sense than the smaller, basic, etc.

But they dont fit for the basic users.

You make some valid points @Gdkitty. You definitely cannot please 100% of the people 100% of the time. I also agree with you very much that many people do want plans with lots of data along with unlimited minutes and texting. I realize too that many people are getting rid of landline phones in favour of using a more expensive wireless plan such as a Share Everything plan. I have no issues with this and as you have stated on many occasions, people have to make the decision that is best for them - that will best meet their own individual needs. 

However, it does seem to me that many customers are upset at being told that the only way they can get a subsidized phone is to upgrade to a Share Everything plan. Comments by @BS and @barndoor clearly indicate this. Just as there are many customers who want all the bells and whistles, there are still many customers out there where their wireless phone is used for convenience and emergencies - who do not need unlimited minutes and a ton of data. You do not need 30 plans to meet the needs of these customers, but a fairer pricing policy would sure help. 

In my case, I was on a grandfathered plan along with my wife. We each paid close to $35 per month for this plan - so about $70 plus taxes for 2 phones. Neither of us is prepared to spend $80 each (or more) on a wireless plan as we do not need it. What were our choices? Well, Rogers wanted us on a Share Everything plan if we wanted a subsidized phone. No thanks. We could buy our phone outright and save $10 a month or so. Again - no thanks - still too expensive. That means we could keep our current plan which gave us 200 anytime local minutes, unlimited evenings and weekends plus My5. We had no texting, no voicemail, no call display - not very good in light of the many current offerings (including Rogers newer plans). 

So we concluded our grandfathered plan was out of date. Does Rogers have a comparable plan for us? Yes they do. There is no need for a Share Everything plan at all. We can go with almost the same plan we had - the $35 Talk & Text Plan For Basic Phones. It would be a big improvement too - 200 anytime local minutes and unlimited evenings and weekends (same as our older plan) but also included is unlimited texting, call display, and voicemail, though we would lose My5. However in selecting a phone, I found that the only phone I could select was a basic flip phone (of which there are 2) and for the cheapest one (ZTE Z222), Rogers still wanted to charge me $55 on a 2-year term. When I tried to select a Samsung Galaxy Core LTE, I was informed that I need a Share Everything plan for that - either that or buy the phone outright. 

So in moving to a competitor, we once again were offered a $35 plan. Only this time, we got 200 anytime minutes but Canada-wide calling instead (not local), unlimited evenings and weekends (evenings start at 5 PM not 6 PM as with Rogers), unlimited texting AND picture messaging (this one includes International as well as Canada), call display, voicemail, and 100 MB of data! As I mentioned in my previous post, I am hard pressed even to use 100 MB of data with the prevalence of wifi today. So just looking at those features alone, we already have a big improvement over Rogers. When you add in 2 no-charge Android Smart Phones, including a Samsung Galaxy Core LTE (mentioned above) and an HTC Desire 510, the decision for us was a no brainer. We switched!

So, what is my conclusion from all of this? The Share Everything plans are great for those who want or need them. Rogers does offer alternatives to Share Everything for those who want something less, but these plans are not as good as offered by the competition if you shop around. If you want a subsidized phone and do not want Share Everything, you really only have 2 choices - buy the phone outright or switch to a company that offers fairer pricing!

@barndoor wrote:

Gdkitty ...I don't see where it is about the plans as much as it is about Rogers inability to compete.  Unless I'm mistaken  Johnny Rocket had a plan he was happy with with Rogers but Rogers just couldn't compete. Maybe a little less zing and a little more good old  bang for the customers buck wouldn't go far amiss.    Smiley Wink

I guess you got this in while I was typing my own reply to @Gdkitty. LOL.

It was not so much that we were still happy with the plan we had because to be truthful, it was a little outdated in this day and age. However we were happy with the price and unfortunately, as you stated, Rogers could not compete. Rogers offered nothing comparable to what we now get, including a no-charge phone and Rogers kept trying to talk us into an expensive plan that we had no need for. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Oh I agree barndoor, sometime Rogers just can't compete with others price wise for plans compared to some.
But there are sometimes limitations to these guys too... So it's different for each person

Take wind for example. Awesome plans for the $$.
BUT, their coverage area is much smaller than say Rogers or bell. I currently live and commute 2/3 of the time in an area OUT of the coverage.. So their plans would do me no good as I would always be roaming.

@Gdkitty wrote:
Oh I agree barndoor, sometime Rogers just can't compete with others price wise for plans compared to some.

Take wind for example. Awesome plans for the $$.

Do you mean can't compete or won't compete? This is a big difference. Based on what I posted above, I would suggest the operative word here is "won't". 

As for Wind, I would not even begin to compare them with Rogers or any other service provider because their coverage is so bad. 

Bottom line is that Rogers claims to offer competitive pricing, but in many cases, they do not. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

All depends on what you compare it to.

The big 3?   Fairly even across the board.. little more / little less here are there, but generally in the same range.

Some of the other smaller ones do offer much better, Wind, Kudo, etc..

But as well as coverage differences... there are sometimes differences in the phone availability.  Some of them dont offer SPECIFIC phones.. usually a much smaller selection.  If you want a specific phone, you would have to buy outright, unlocked, and bring it in. (which isnt always a bad thing).  Some of them only offer smaller hardware subsidys as well... so people would have to pay more upfront IF they want a higher phone.
So it can be a trade off.

Really all comes down to WHAT each person wants.   What phone, what sort of plan, etc.

And choose the carrier, which fills those neads the best.

@Gdkitty wrote:

All depends on what you compare it to.

The big 3?   Fairly even across the board.. little more / little less here are there, but generally in the same range.

Some of the other smaller ones do offer much better, Wind, Kudo, etc..

But as well as coverage differences... there are sometimes differences in the phone availability.  Some of them dont offer SPECIFIC phones.. usually a much smaller selection.  If you want a specific phone, you would have to buy outright, unlocked, and bring it in. (which isnt always a bad thing).  Some of them only offer smaller hardware subsidys as well... so people would have to pay more upfront IF they want a higher phone.
So it can be a trade off.

Really all comes down to WHAT each person wants.   What phone, what sort of plan, etc.

And choose the carrier, which fills those neads the best.

Well, I did a little research. What I found is that both competitor 1 and competitor 2 (of the Big 3) offer a $35 plan - same as Rogers. Competitor 1 has the exact same plan as Rogers but with one exception - you can get an entry level smart phone at $0 on their $35 talk and text plan and they have about 8 of these phones to choose from, including the aforementioned Samsung Galaxy Core LTE. Competitor 2 also has a $35 plan but only with 150 minutes (as opposed to Rogers 200 minutes) but they do have 2 entry level smart phones available at $0. When I priced Rogers, they had nothing but a flip phone available with their $35 Talk and Text basic plan. Any attempt to upgrade to an inexpensive smart phone and I got the message that I needed to change to a Share Everything plan. As I mentioned - $80 is out of the question for my wife and I.

As for coverage, if you choose a smaller competitor that uses the same networks as Rogers or the other companies from the Big 3, you are at no disadvantage. That would eliminate Wind for sure. Interestingly, Competitor 1 has better coverage than Rogers. So yes, we chose an alternative that met our needs, offered a much better price with better features, and a decent selection of phones (no charge).

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I know rogers for their lowest oned DID have the entry level windows smart phone i think.. the 735 i think it was?? (may be a lower model)  It was on there for like 1-2 years.  Doesnt appear to be there now though 😞

Nope! The only choice for a basic plan are 2 flip phones, neither of which are no charge!

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Gdkitty wrote:

I know rogers for their lowest oned DID have the entry level windows smart phone i think.. the 735 i think it was?? (may be a lower model)  It was on there for like 1-2 years.  Doesnt appear to be there now though 😞

I have Rogers PayGo and saw that phone on Rogers' website when I wanted to upgrade from my Nokia. However, nobody at the Rogers store knew about it, so I just got what they had. Now I'm glad I didn't drink the tile Koolaid.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario