Upgrade Phone But Avoid Changing Plans?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Upgrade Phone But Avoid Changing Plans?

I will say it again - if you are on an old low priced plan with the services you want, then don't discuss upgrading your phone - you want to discuss the price of phones on no term. Start there and do a line by line comparison of the suggested plans they are offering, and compare whether you are paying for services you will never fully use, or you are actually paying more over the two years than the phone costs outright.  I know it is a large upfront cost, but you need to consider the long term use of your services and your use of money.  Me I have no desire to keep companies rich, I prefer to save my money, use the services only that I need and live a good life and retire comfortably.  In my case, if I had gone along with subsidizing the phone, I would have more services, of which I don't use the service allotments that I have now, and the difference in price per month would be around twice the cost of the phone I just bought outright.

Yes, I agree there is a lot of confusion on the phones with staff, and in the stores. They have different systems, and none of them really want to talk about buying a phone on term, and a store can't actually do it with no change to a plan. There point of sale systems won't let them do it and keep your plan unchanged.  You can only pick the phone from the store, or web, then call in and have it shipped.

So my suggestion is that for those who are on old plans, put some savings away, and your savings will pay for the phone outright. If you even have to put it on credit, in most cases, you will come out ahead. You have 30 days to pay depending upon when you time your purchase - you will have to give your credit card if you buy outright, then accelerate your credit payments. You still come out ahead.

So when you talk to a rep, have them do a line by line comparison - keep your current bill in front of you so you can easily do that comparison. If your goal is to keep the same plan and services, you just have to buy the phone upfront, but be prepared for a hard sell on the other options. The current economic incentives are typically restricted to 500.00 and you pay the rest, so that is about 20.00 per month over two years. So if you the difference between the old plan and the new plan is more than 20.00, unless you really don't mind paying what is really a large interest rate, and getting many services that you didn't have before, it will always cost you more than the economic inducement.  Note the work inducement - you are being induced into an offer that may or may not be of benefit to you.

Be an informed consumer, and my own approach as they try to get me to move to the new plans, is "I am not interested - I want to buy a phone, and keep my plan as is."

See my previous posting about the issue of add-ons, they can get you on those too.  Be careful, and be informed on the implications of everything being offered to you - do the item by item and cost comparisons, as well as the true cost to you of getting a reduced priced phone compared to the change in cost to your plans.

Be a smart consumer and at the end of the day make a fully educated decision.

Bruce

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi @RogersMaude,

do you have a link to the page showing the 'Premium Smartphone models that are eligible for a Smart Picks' subsidy?

also, the website states the you MAY be required to switch.

what criteria decides this, if for example someone wishes to stay on the same plan, but choose a premium smartphone outside the 'smart picks' subsidy.

"To receive a device subsidy when you upgrade your next smartphone, you may be required to switch to an eligible 2-year Share Everything TM smartphone plan, if you're not already enrolled."

thanks very much!

Good day @sukeybapswent,

Thank you for your post!

On August 25th 2015, we introduced new names for the payment options for our Share Everything plans!

Premium Tab (formerly Smartphone) :

• Share Everything Premium Tab (formerly Smartphone) is our most popular selection for customers that want their new device at the lowest upfront cost.

Smart Tab (formerly Smart Picks) :

• Share Everything Smart Tab (formerly Smart Picks) is the middle payment option available in our pricing construct for our price plans and all devices (excluding new iPhone activations).
  • Plans priced $10 less than our regular Premium Tab payment options and ideal for those who don’t mind paying a little more up front for their new device to take advantage of long term savings.

On August 18, we introduced Rogers Staff Pick further complement our Smart Tab payment option:

• Rogers Staff Pick is a new program that will help you select a lower monthly fee without paying a high upfront device payment. Staff Pick is made up of a select group of featured devices that are value loaded and carry a 2-year warranty.  All Staff Pick devices are specially priced ($99 or less) on a 2-year Share Everything Smart Tab payment options. We kicked off the Staff Pick program with the launch of the Sony Xperia M4 Aqua which also launched on August 18! Look out for more devices coming soon to Rogers Staff Pick!

No Tab (formerly Bring Your Own Device):

• Share Everything No Tab (formerly BYOD) is the go-to payment option for users that are purchasing a device outright or bringing their own phone to activate on the Rogers network.
  • Lowest monthly cost: $20 less than our regular Share Everything Premium Tab payment option with no commitment required!

With this change, you have more options on how to get your hands on one of our many popular devices!

Hope this helps Smiley Wink

RogersMaude

I've Been Here Awhile

thanks for the quick reply @RogersMaude.

however it looks as if the only way to stay on the same plan and not move over to some 'share everything' business, is to buy a new phone - is that correct?

the links for 'share everything premium tab' and 'share everything smart tab' take me to the same 'share everything' page.

i do not want to share anything, any data, any minutes, nothing - no other devices, just simply keep the same plan i am on, with a more up-to-date device - even the 'Rogers Staff Pick' page suggests a cheaper device, but changing plans...

thanks.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @sukeybapswent

Unfortunately there is no other way unless u buy a phone outright and keep the same plan or change plans and get a new phone. Sadly all carriers are doing this

Hello again @sukeybapswent,

That is correct. If you wish to keep the plan you are currently on, you would have to purchase the device outright.

In a case like this, you really have to weigh the pros and cons.

In the instance where you get a subsidy of $500 or more on the device of your choice by increasing your plan by $20 per month (on a 24-month term renewal), it is beneficial.

With regards to the links in my previous post, they indeed bring you to the same page. We simplified the pricing for you :Sans titre.png

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

I'm a Senior Advisor

Well, I see that Roger's has changed their plan names and marketing strategies once again.

It is an interesting model just presented here that by buying a new phone and committing to an 80.00, you save 20.00 by bringing your own phone, but it ignores the original question of I want to keep my old plan and can I upgrade my phone.

For people who want an 80.00 everything plan, this logic makes sense. Yes what is the point of buying your own phone under this model?  I guess this is to deal with the two year existing plans that are beginning to expire and are already paying somewhere around that price - back a couple of years ago, if I recall, these plans started around 65.00 and quickly moved up to the 80.00. So why not pay an extra few dollars and stay with you for two years and get the phone basically for the same price as buying it outright.

But for those who do not want everything, they just want to have a basic plan of talk and text, and occassionally you may want and add-on of data (which is not available for the basic plans anymore), I feel like you really don't want our business anymore.  So I can pop over to your sister company, FIDO buy that new Sony phone you mention that doesn't let me easily buy outright online, but can be done, at FIDO, it is 300.00, you can get the basic plan which is all I need, it has a discount for bringing your own phone (the one you just bought), bringing the plan to 29.00 from 35.00, has a limited number of minutes of talk, which is all I need, call display, and other features.  Rogers cheapest plan is also 35.00 but you get no discount for bringing your own phone, you also don't get calling between plan members long distance, unlimited.  These are the things that are on the plan I carefully chose not that many years ago to meet my family and personal needs, but are no longer offered.

So bottom line, is that if Rogers should ever try to change my plans, and note that I have a flag on my account that staff are not to review my services unless I ask, and are not to market new services to me. They are to answer only my questions of that day.  If they don't stick to that agreement, I will tell them to read the notes and bring them back to the original question.

But any attempt to remove the existing package as it exists, or if the Navigtr rollout is still the mess it currently is, then I will be rethinking all of my services and probably moving on.  My daughters have already made the decision that once their own phone committments run out in December, they are gone, just because they have had it with the number of times that we have been misled, or had to deal with billing errors.

So for those who are interested, understand the new plans, and make your choices.  They are not for me,

Bruce

I'm a Trusted Contributor

@BS wrote:

It is an interesting model just presented here that by buying a new phone and committing to an 80.00, you save 20.00 by bringing your own phone, but it ignores the original question of I want to keep my old plan and can I upgrade my phone.

For people who want an 80.00 everything plan, this logic makes sense. Yes what is the point of buying your own phone under this model?  I guess this is to deal with the two year existing plans that are beginning to expire and are already paying somewhere around that price - back a couple of years ago, if I recall, these plans started around 65.00 and quickly moved up to the 80.00. So why not pay an extra few dollars and stay with you for two years and get the phone basically for the same price as buying it outright.

But for those who do not want everything, they just want to have a basic plan of talk and text, and occassionally you may want and add-on of data (which is not available for the basic plans anymore), I feel like you really don't want our business anymore.  So I can pop over to your sister company, FIDO buy that new Sony phone you mention that doesn't let me easily buy outright online, but can be done, at FIDO, it is 300.00, you can get the basic plan which is all I need, it has a discount for bringing your own phone (the one you just bought), bringing the plan to 29.00 from 35.00, has a limited number of minutes of talk, which is all I need, call display, and other features.  Rogers cheapest plan is also 35.00 but you get no discount for bringing your own phone, you also don't get calling between plan members long distance, unlimited.  These are the things that are on the plan I carefully chose not that many years ago to meet my family and personal needs, but are no longer offered.

I so agree with you Bruce. The Share Everything plans seem to be designed for people who live on their phones and use all kinds of data. My wife and I used to be on a grandfathered plan where we each paid about $35 per month. Our issue was that every time we called Rogers to talk about our services, they were constantly trying to get us to upgrade to a Share Everything plan which we of course have no need for - not at $80 a month to start! Sometimes Rogers even called us to encourage us to switch. So when our contract was up last fall, we did make a switch - to another provider. Smiley Wink

I found your comments about FIDO interesting and even had a look at their plans. Interestingly, we are on a plan with another company that offers the exact same thing as the Data, Text and Talk plan offered by FIDO at a cost of $45 per month, except we are paying only $35 per month and both my wife and I got free phones on a 2-year plan. The phones we have are not expensive iPhones or the like but based on our usage, we do not need an expensive phone. We get 100 MB of data and I am even hard pressed to use that as wifi is becoming more and more prevalent - just about every where you go. The 100 MB of data though does come in handy once in a while on those occasions where you are gone for the day and wifi may not be available. All in all we get a great deal and also get Unlimited International text, 200 anytime minutes, Call Display, Txt & Pic msg to Can & US, Voicemail, Unlimited evenings & wknd from 5PM, Call Waiting, Call Forwarding, and 3-Way Calling, Canada-wide calling and free calls between members on the same plan.

Even the Roam Like Home feature is not worth paying an extra $45 a month for. 

Had Rogers offered us anything close to this, we would have stayed. Unfortunately, to stay on our grandfathered plan at the same $35 price as we now pay, we would have had to purchase new phones outright and would not have data, voicemail, texting, Canada-wide calling, or call display! We shopped around as you suggested and made our choice!

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Yes... it's so sad when industry leaders start to fail due to their loss of competitive attitude and their inability to actually understand and meet the needs of  their customers. Unfortunately it's not just telecommunications that fall into this abyss.

I'll just keep my 40 minutes and 200 texts for $15/mth  and when they  put an end to it  ,I think Johnny Rocket and Bruce have set excellent examples to follow.  Smiley Wink

Have you all not heard how cell phones fry your brain when you become so dependant on them ? Smiley Very Happy

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The old addage of 'You cant please 100% of the people 100% of the time' sort of falls into this.

Not everyone will be happy.. not all plans will fit all users.  Unless they provided like 30 different plans to cover everything.

Yes, not everyone needs a bunch of data, a ton of minutes, need to call everywhere, etc.
But there are lots that do.  I would say probably a good 60+ or more of the people using stuff now, do use a lot of data, etc.. so going with one of these newer type plans, make a lot more sense than the smaller, basic, etc.

But they dont fit for the basic users.