Upgrade Phone But Avoid Changing Plans?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Upgrade Phone But Avoid Changing Plans?

Upgrade from 4s to 6s 

hello community.

im here today to ask for some help.i have an old  Rogers plan and if I was to upgrade my old iPhone 4s  I would have to change my plan to one of Rogers new plans.since I wanna keep my old plan, the only option I have is to buy a new phone out-right..my question is,I noticed the iPhone 4s has a micro sim and the new iPhone 6s is a nano sim.how would I go about getting the new sim and be able to keep all my contacts???  What about my pictures?(even though I have them all in iCloud,do they just stay on the old phone?

the new phone I will be buying will be unlocked for a third party.

thank-you 

robert

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Robert99

Welcome to the forums! 🙂

First that is correct. If u upgrade a new phone you will need to change your plan. As for the sim card, all you need to do is go to a local Rogers store and purchase a nano sim card for $9.99 Plus tax. Ask them to activate it for u for free of charge when u buy it from them. That will enable the nano sim card for you and you can use your new device!.

As for back up your contacts and images. Plug in the phone into your laptop and or desktop. Download iTunes on ur computer. Once u have plugged in the iPhone 4 iTunes should show it on the main screen. All you need to do is back up the iPhone 4 and once that is done unplug the iPhone 4. Plug in the new iPhone and just hit restore on the screen and it will restore everything to the new iPhone. It's simple as that! It will the some time but it's worth it!
I Plan to Stick Around

Don't ever change plans. I have the same one. It's far superior to the share plans. Cost for the new plans is more than double. Bite the bullet and buy a phone online but never give up the plan..
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Ancasterguy

That is correct but not eveyone has hundreds in their pockets right. So they indeed change plans BUT contact Rogers to see what they can get offered before hand. I did that and i have a better plan for $10 more then what I was paying before. Again to each their own but the plans before hand were better but with limited things added.
I Plan to Stick Around

oh believe me...I was very annoyed because under my old plan I was entitled to free upgrades every 2 yrs and my plan is awesome. I was veey annoyed when they took away the part of the deal allowing for upgrades. Its essentially to make it uncomfortable enough for many to leave them no option but to change plans. I was lucky enough to find a new lg g4 for $400. I bit the bullet and bought it. If I changed to the plan they offered me...I would have paid off the phone in a year and after that would permanently be payingvan extra $60 a month. It strikes me pretty unethical for them to do that. Strange to offend long term customers to push them off the old plans. As you mentioned many might not be able to afford the phone out right... I don't see why they dont allow you to buy the phone over 2 years on the current plan. It would be a big customer relations move. If competition heats up with similar plans older customers will likely eventually move due to their poor treatment. They dont treat you like a valued customer.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Ancasterguy

Its due to them changing plans and as for a business stand of point in order to recuperate the lost money from the 3 year plane we had, they did this. All carriers are doing it which isn't great but nothing can be done unfortunately. Competition won't heat up as much as all big carriers including will have the same terms.

Either way call in and see what they can do. I'm pretty sure u will get a better plan as they do give them out but u need to speak to the right person!
I Plan to Stick Around

I hear ya! I have an old super 6Gb plan:)))) just been going month to month for so long now.battery in my 4s is terrible now after 5 years.time for a new phone.

I Plan to Stick Around

No you won't get a better plan from Rogers than the 6 gig data plan for $30. Never.. Don't change it... I called at least 4 times and even moved it up the chain but nothing...
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Robert99

Why don't you call in and speak to retentions. They should be able to do something for you. Again the 6GB plan is not offered anymore but i am pretty sure they will give u a better deal.

If not then just follow my steps above and you should be golden! 🙂
I Plan to Stick Around

Hello and thank-you.

i will be buying this phone brand new from a third party.(online etc).unlocked..I won't be buying it directly from Rogers.will I still be able to buy the SIM card and have them Activate it for me?