Upgrade Phone But Avoid Changing Plans?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Upgrade Phone But Avoid Changing Plans?

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 with Rogers and I secured a 6GB data plan for $30 plan over 2 years ago. Of course Rogers is now enforcing that you change plans if you upgrade your phone. I want to keep my plan of course though. I did unlock my S3 last year so If I buy a Galaxy S5 I should be able to swap my S3 SIM card into it and keep going as if nothing as changed, right? My 3 year plan expires this coming September so what happens to my plan then? Do I keep my sweet 6GB plan and just go month to month with Rogers? Or is there some way they can force me to change plans once my original 3 year term is up? I'd like to be able to source where I could buy a Galaxy S5 from that is less expensive than the $699 charged from Rogers too.

To summarize, I want to upgrade to a Galaxy S5 but still keep my $30 6GB data plan.

Thanks.

Kathy

***Edited Labels.***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Upgrade Phone But Avoid Changing Plans?

As long as you dont go on a NEW harware subsidy with rogers.. you SHOULD be able to keep that plan.

When your current contract expires.. you will just go on month to month from there out.

As long as you source an UNLOCKED phone... (or someone selling privately a Rogers locked phone)..  all you should have to do is then go in and have them SWAP the sim if need be.. (if its the same sim, should just change over).

I Plan to Stick Around

That's what I figured. And even if I were to drop $700 and buy the S5 phone outright from Rogers, I should still be able to keep the plan right? As long as I don't go the subsidized upgrade route thru them it sounds like I should be able to keep my plan.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The store and places will TRY to get you to do it on contract..

Yes, you can buy outright.

Finding an android, not on contract/outright buy from a carrier, might be hard.. they are not as common as say an iphone where you can buy it from the apple store, etc.
(be leary when getting from say somewhere like factorydirect, tigerdirect, etc... as they often sell unlocked phones, but can be classed as REFURBISHED and may not have a full waranty)

I Plan to Stick Around

I most likely won't worry about an upgrade then unless I'm in a position where I don't have much choice (ie, the S3 breaks or suffers a major failure). I'm leery of unlocked phones for sale on Kijiji etc or even Amazon where I'm reading comments that their phones are designed for Africa of something crazy like that. I'd most likely suck up the $700 from Rogers as long as they guarantee not to mess with my existing plan.

I've Been Here Awhile

Hey. Recently my phone decided to crap out on me :/. My contract expired and now I'm on a month to month with Rogers. My question was if I were to just purchase a phone from Rogers, can I continue using the plan I'm on? And do I still need to bring ID?

I am awaiting my ID in the mail but I'm starting to think that it was sent to the wrong address since I just moved. I need a phone now.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello FiNaL_1mPaCt

Of you buy a device outright from Rogers then no. You just need a credit card to get one or cash. If you plan on upgrading your line with a new device then yes u need a ID.

I've Been Here Awhile

So to use my current plan on a different phone I will need ID?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello FiNaL_1mPaCt

You need a ID when you go to a Rogers store and ask to upgrade ur account to a new device and get that device on a 2 year term price, not outright price..

If u decide to upgrade ur device to a new device and pay a small fee for the device on a 2 year term, then you need ur ID. You will need to show that ur the owner of the account. If u don't have a ID then u can't do it until ur ID comes. You can try speaking to the store manager and see what they can do but I don't think they will allow it without a ID.

If you go into a Rogers store and device to buy a device outright and pay for the device full price then u don't need a ID. Just pay for the device and change the sim card into the device and ur set.

I've Been Here Awhile

Alright thanks for the information 😄