Upgrade Phone But Avoid Changing Plans?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Upgrade Phone But Avoid Changing Plans?

Hello @ barbas

Unfortunately there is no way around it unless you buy a phone which is on a no term plan OR you bring your own phone ( buy it outright from somewhere else and use it with Rogers.)

The only other thing I can suggest is speaking to retentions or a manager and see what deal they can give you. Sometimes they can give u a awesome deal but u would need to get the right agent for that.
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I was considering upgrading early(contract is up in June) and pre order one of the new galaxy phones. I can't find any information though on how this will affect the other person on my share everything plan. If I select a new plan will the other person still be on it and will we still be sharing whatever data I choose in the new plan? Or will the plan I choose only be for my data? When will the new plan take effect, when I get the new phone or immediately?

If I choose to keep the same plan I get the option to buy outright for full price or a subsidized plan. Does that mean the subsidized plan is literally just renewing my/our contract under all the same terms and conditions for 2 years with no disruption to service?

Thanks.

Highlighted

Good day @Nodnerb,

Getting a new phone is always exciting! You're doing the right thing by inquiring on how the changes you will bring will affect the other lines on your account.

Is your line the main one of the Share Everything plan? If it is the case, all of the secondary ones will be impacted.

If you're changing from a No Tab, to Premium Tab, with the same amount of data, and your current plan is recent enough, you might be able to keep the additional ones the same.

If your line is one of the secondary ones, you can change "Tabs", but you will not end up changing the amount of data shared amongst all of the lines on your account. This means only the cost of the line in question will change.

When changing your plan while going through the hardware upgrade process, the plan is changed right away, even if your phone ships two or three days later.

If you upgrade the phone on one of your lines, it will only renew the contract on that particular number.

I hope this addresses all of your inquiries. Please do not hesitate to let us know if you have any other questions!

RogersMaude

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for the response. That clears up a lot. So I am the primary, if I upgrade my phone and change the plan, my wife's plan also changes. Can she decide to upgrade her phone also at the promotional price and subsidize a new phone?

Also, when I go to keep my existing plan after choosing a phone pre order and it gives me the option of keeping my current plan, does that mean literally our current plan and all of its costs and inclusions are the same for another 2 year term? It also says "does not include talk time". I'm not sure how I add talk time, but the monthly payment is the same as I'm paying now with unlimited text and talk. Confused!

Thanks!

Highlighted

Hello again @Nodnerb,

Thank you for your reply! You're very welcome!

If your plan is not grandfathered, your wife might not even have to change her plan, if you change the one on your number. However, we would need to access your account in order to properly validate whether or not it's the case.

She can most definitely upgrade her cellphone as well, if she wants to take advantage of the promotions we have going on right now. 

If you decide to remain on your current price plan, the price of the new phone might vary depending on the type of plan you're on. If you keep it the same, everything that is included will stay as it currently is and you will not have to add talktime. The pricing will also be identical to what you're currently paying.

Completing the hardware upgrade via MyRogers is ideal because you will be saving on the connection fee as it is waived for orders placed from our website.

Let us know if you need more information before making your choice!

RogersMaude

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Hello,

Long time Rogers customer here.  I called in to receive the $60/10GB special in December which was great.  
Then sadly I lost my iphone 6+ in Whistler and now need a new one.   

I know I could buy a replacement retail, but would be willing to recommit to Rogers for 24 months if I could take advantage of the deals available on the 8+.  

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@kfischer wrote:

Hello,

Long time Rogers customer here.  I called in to receive the $60/10GB special in December which was great.  
Then sadly I lost my iphone 6+ in Whistler and now need a new one.   

I know I could buy a replacement retail, but would be willing to recommit to Rogers for 24 months if I could take advantage of the deals available on the 8+.  

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks!

Do the math, you're better off buying a device full price now than loosing your 10gb plan to get a subsidy,

Highlighted
I've Been Around

What a great Sunday night being bounced around from department to department listening to anyone telling you they can't help you including a retention manager unless you pay more more monthly charges. I have less hassel buying a car or house! All I want to do is upgrade 2 of my 4 phones on the share plan to iPhone from the current pathetic excuse of a mobile Huawei. Three were sold told us saying that we would never regret it.....but after I paid last May for one upgrade it's been a disaster. All I want is two replacement iPhone 8s and immediately and not pay out $80 remaining device charge... I have to upgrade my monthly package...sounds like great math and profit for Rogers but totally screws the customer...I will be paying out my existing contracts and going back to bell or mayby rogue to Telus or freedom mobile...it's not hard Rogers to do the right thing but to you loosing a customer doesn't matter but when you spread the word to everyone that will listen it will give me great pleasure in having other friends and family switch.

Highlighted

Good evening @ATS72,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Rogers Community!

Using a device that does not fulfill your needs can be frustrating. We definitely want to help you sort this out.

I understand that being bounced around from one department to another can make the process a pain to deal with.

To get a reduced upfront cost on your device, you may have to upgrade your plan. If you are not already on one, you will need to upgrade to one of our Share Everything™ plans on a 2-year term, in order to get the lowest upfront cost on your new device.

If you don’t want to change your plan to an in-market Share Everything plan on a 2-year term, just keep your existing plan and pay the No Term price of the device.

We do value your business and thank you for your loyalty. If you would like us to take a deeper look into this, please send a private message @CommunityHelps. For more information on our private messaging system, take a look at this blog.

Don't forget that you can trade-in your current phone in store, for a discount towards your subsidized hardware upgrade, in order to further reduce the cost of your device!

RogersMaude

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Same problem here! I pay $450 for 4 mobiles. I had to upgrade my plan 2 years ago to get the iphone 6 for $0. My phone is now broke and to get a new free phone (it's never free) I was asked to upgrade my plan again. Seriously every two years I need to spend more money! It's actually better to pay for the phone. I've been a rogers costumer for 30 years, they don't care, they know there's no real competition. I was paying a lot of money for TV and internet with rogers, bell was offering a good deal so I called rogers and asked them if they could help, I didn't really want to switch provider. They said NO, sorry, there's nothing we can do for you. After switching to Bell they call me offering me all these amazing deals. I can't be bother, before talking to any carriers......get a bottle of wine, you are going to need it.