Upgrade Phone But Avoid Changing Plans?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Upgrade Phone But Avoid Changing Plans?

And within the no tab plans, interesting thing is that you can get a Smart Plan which includes a new, but lower end phone for the same as no tab.  Plus if you are bringing another family member on the plan with you, and they are no tab - it is only 30.00.  So the key is to look at just saying, ok, my current plan is done, I now own my phone, have my sim card, no activation needed, and look at no tab and additional devices if that applies.  In a way, you can get your new lower end phone for free like before - just plays out differently, and certainly much more money than we used to pay, but if we go back the three years to when these changes came into place, there were no really high end phones, and phone prices in general were far lower.

So pick a low priced phone, go no tab, or smart plan, if you have additional devices, change those over too.  And do shop around.

There are not a lot of smart tab phones to choose from, but noticed that there are two smartphones for talk and text plans only - that is a new one - before they were only flip phone designes.

Bruce

I'm a Trusted Contributor

@RogersZia wrote:

Did you know Rogers offers No Tab plans for customers such as yourself who would like to pay a lower monthly amount once the subsidy has been completely paid off?

RogersZia

Once the subsidy is paid off Rogers doesn't  reduce the price automatically  for the customer ?

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Straight up answer @barndoor  No they don't do it automatically, you have to call in and discuss plan options, or just keep paying what you were paying, no change even though your phone is now paid off.

And not all companies do this, but the big ones do.

But be prepared when you call in for the whole sales pitch (oh don't you want a new phone, look at the deal we have for you, wouldn't you like to have this new plan with all the bells and whistles you didn't need for the last 2 years and so forth). Buyer beware.  

Or you can take the phone elsewhere, but you have to unlock for 50.00 first, although I did my LGG3  online tax and canadian dollar price for 11.00.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

From my own clarification on this issue as I was looking at changing plans.

If you are on a premium or premium + plan, yes your plan rate is higher to cover the phone costs. I was told, just before the end of your payed off phone, or if you decide to do so early, phone in and get your plan changed up.

Rationalle stated - plans change so much these days (true), that you should have the opportunity to pick the best plan.  I would prefer automatic, but I can live with this too although it was not told to me upfront the option, I had to ask about it.  She did say that they will contact us as we get close to the end to discuss plan options.

Just a clarification.

Bruce

I've Been Around

I currently have an iphone6s with a two year plan.. it has only been a year so far but I would lile to upgrade my phone to an iphone 7/8 plus and still keep my current plan.. is it possible ?

Good evening @bdbui,

Thank you for your post and Welcome to the Rogers Community! 

I totally understand your need to acquire a new iPhone, while making sure that you don't jeopardize your monthly invoices in the long run.

If you consider upgrading to a Premium Smartphone device, you must be on a "Tab" Share Everything plan, to be eligible for a subsidy on a two year term renewal. 

This means that the cost of the phone you are looking to purchase will vary, depending on whether your grandfathered price plan is considered Premium or Smart Tab. If you got it a year ago, you'll most likely have the ability to keep it.

Keep in mind that the remaining subsidy, left to pay on the iPhone 6s, will be charged at the moment of your new upgrade.

Don't forget to trade-in your current phone in store, for a discount towards your subsidized hardware upgrade, in order to further reduce the cost of your device! Smiley Wink

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

I Plan to Stick Around

Retention verses paying off phone and going elsewhere. Its your move rogers,should i stay or should i go

Hello @phalkon,

Sorry to hear you may be looking to part ways. Need a little bit of info. in order to assist further. Any particular reason why you're looking to pay off the tab? Is there a specific plan you're interested in?

For account support please reach out to us via PM @CommunityHelps!

RogersZia

I Plan to Stick Around

Why do i want to part ways?pretty much the fact that rogers over charges for data on a second rate system with spotty coverage.paying for a fancy phone that cant be used the way published without breaking the bank for data.and then not even offering current customers anything while these special offers abound,shall i continue?
I Plan to Stick Around

Maybe  some one know how I can solve this problem, I have a service with rogers for about 6 years now, I like to upgrade my Samsung s5, but rogers tell me  the only way to upgrade my phone is to get a new plan, ( share everything) paying almost double the money for less service, any way around this? thanks.