Upgrade Phone But Avoid Changing Plans?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Upgrade Phone But Avoid Changing Plans?

Hello FiNaL_1mPaCt

You are very welcome! 🙂

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thats just it.. you have to gaurantee that its for the right region, etc.. some wont work over here at all (or if they do, only on lower than 3g bands, etc).

Unfortunately androids, at least in north america.. arent sold seperately that often 😞   All the software updates, etc are carrier controled.

Sounds like a good plan.. just start putting pennies away in a fund, to start saving up for the new one for when that one goes 🙂

I've Been Here Awhile

Rogers is the worst Service Provider in Canada. I called in to upgrade my phone to HTC M9 but they told me if you want to upgrade then you have to change your plan too. Why anybody in the world will pay $125 for the same plan for which I am paying $60 rightnow. If you don't wanna change plan then you can't upgrade. Really passed off at them now have to wait till I get money to buy the phone upright.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

We were told the same thing too. They want everyone to upgrade to overpriced Share Everything plans. For us, the simplest solution was to switch providers! And we did!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You can keep pland and change phones..

BUT you would need to buy the phone fully outright, and not get the hardware subsidy off of it.
(the main reason the plan prices went up, to cover the hardware subsidy which is now having to be 2 years instead of 3)

I've Been Here Awhile

They don't wanna sell phone upright last year when I wanted to buy HTC M7 upright from Rogers I called call centre and they told me that they can only help me with hardware upgrade you have to go to one of the Rogers stores. I went to the Rogers store and the guy told me that they only help with upgrades if you wanna buy the phone upright you have to call the call centre. In the end I had to buy my phone from somewhere else and then if you have any problem for example put APN setting Rogers tech will not help you out with that because you didn't buy the phone from them. They will ohh it's not a Rogers phone so we can't help.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sounds like the store/whoever on the phone, was giving you the run around.

Its MORE than possible to do, i think at BOTH levels.

@Meowmix, our resident phone expert here.. has bought outright COUNTLESS phones.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Another thing to remember if you do NOT take a contract and that is that your Monthly rate is no longer garentee... 

A contract not only gets you a discount on a phone but it also locks your Monthly Rate for the term of the contract... 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

True.
Though its not super often i have seen the PLAN rate change, even when grandfathered.

Addon's, thats another thing.  And those, are not gauranteed with your contract anyways.

I Plan to Stick Around

I don't think Rogers has heard of the saying "loyalty over money". Most people who have grandfathered plans like myself are stuck in an unfortunate spot: you either stick with a well-priced plan + keep the same phone or you bite the bullet and pay the high price plans and get a new phone every couple years.

I was just wondering why can't it be the best of both worlds? I've been a client for several years and it feels like a punishment almost, having to buy a phone outright isn't exactly cheap.