Unexplained International Text Messages on Bill

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Unexplained International Text Messages on Bill

Yes don’t use WhatsApp Rogers charged 

me an extra $10.50 last month. They would not remove it from my bill, I was not aware that WhatsApp is an extra, due to a weak signal on Rogers part.  Rogers want an extra $5/math to give you international texting.....CASH GRAB very poor on their part.

Highlighted

Hello @AlexGrguric1,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums and congrats on your first post! 👍

I realize that receiving unexpected usage charges is never a fun surprise! Just to clarify, Rogers wouldn't bill for messages you've sent while using the WhatsApp service. From my understanding (as I use the service myself to keep in touch with friends and family), the service should be totally free if you are using a free WiFi connection or the mobile data connection through your wireless provider.

Now, if you happen to exceed your mobile data allotment or you send a regular text message to a non-Canadian number inviting a friend to join WhatsApp, then yes, there is a possibility you will incur some usage fees. Can you please confirm if any of these scenarios fit your situation?

If you need us to review your billing to confirm the reason for or the legitimacy of these charges, we'll be happy to do so. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, please CLICK HERE.

Kind regards,

RogersLaura

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Laura, thank you for your reply.  

i spoke with a Rogers customer service person (Pat) she informed me that due to the hi levels of usage of Rogers phone lines, the signal was weakened, and as a result periodically cellular data was used to transmit messages pictures video from WhatsApp  it is at these times that rogers charges its customers for international texting.  She then asked me if i wanted to purchase additional services for $5/month to avoid this in the future.  AT THIS TIME OF UNCERTAINTY IN OUR WWORLD AND IN MY OWN FUTURE THIS IS NOT SOMETHING THAT ROGERS SHOULD BE DOING - ADDING TO MONTHLY BILLS. Very disappointing and a lack of compassion on Rogers part, to capitalize in a situation at these unfortunate times.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I worked with Wireless Networks and dealt with CDR records in the past. I find it very Strange and unusual for someone to be billed as "international text message" when they didnt text but may have exceeded their monthly "data allotment" sounds fishy, perhaps the agent was not educated on the scenario and was confused in his explanation? if you didn't send a text to an international destination, you should not be charged for one period, please have a member of the Rogers Community Forums to look into it for you in greater detail to sort this out.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@AlexGrguric1 wrote:

Laura, thank you for your reply.  

i spoke with a Rogers customer service person (Pat) she informed me that due to the hi levels of usage of Rogers phone lines, the signal was weakened, and as a result periodically cellular data was used to transmit messages pictures video from WhatsApp  it is at these times that rogers charges its customers for international texting.  She then asked me if i wanted to purchase additional services for $5/month to avoid this in the future.  AT THIS TIME OF UNCERTAINTY IN OUR WWORLD AND IN MY OWN FUTURE THIS IS NOT SOMETHING THAT ROGERS SHOULD BE DOING - ADDING TO MONTHLY BILLS. Very disappointing and a lack of compassion on Rogers part, to capitalize in a situation at these unfortunate times.

That is absolutely unacceptable and gouging.  Rogers should not be profiting from data charges at this time.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario