Unexplained International Text Messages on Bill

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Unexplained International Text Messages on Bill

I have heard some cases of whatsapp doing it.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Gdkitty

I have heard the same BUT reading on their site, no where does it say anything about you being changed texting when using the app... All it says is about Data & if u send a text telling them to join WhatsApp, it will a texting charge if possible. Read below

" Is it free to send messages over WhatsApp?

Provided you have an adequate internet data plan for your smartphone and a current subscription in WhatsApp, it is free to send and receive messages and media over WhatsApp.

WhatsApp Messenger uses your phone's internet connection to send and receive messages, pictures, audio, video, location, and contacts. As long as your phone is not roaming and you have not exceeded your data limit, messaging over WhatsApp should not cost you extra.
If you are concerned about data usage, we recommend that you use a Wi-Fi connection, if possible.
However, you should be aware of the following:

If your phone is roaming, additional mobile data charges may apply. Learn how to configure roaming settings for WhatsApp on: Android | iPhone | Nokia | Windows Phone.
WhatsApp does not provide a calling feature. If you see a [Call] button within WhatsApp, it is the same as using the [Call] button on your phone. Thus, mobile provider calling rates apply for phone calls made using the [Call] button within WhatsApp.
If you send SMS messages to your friends inviting them to use WhatsApp, service charges from your mobile provider may also apply. Additional details on inviting friends to WhatsApp can be found here.

http://www.whatsapp.com/faq/en/general/20965922

Again here on a few reviews they say it does not cost a thing as long as u have data.

http://reviews.cnet.com/software/whatsapp-messenger-ios/4505-3513_7-35670774.html

http://www.wikihow.com/SMS-%28Internationally%29-on-iPhone-for-Free-Using-WhatsApp

Now you can send text messages to contacts in your address book and they will receive an immediate push notification that there is a new message waiting for them. It is absolutely free. Note: This application requires internet access. You will only be able to send and receive texts when you have Wi-Fi or data. If you want to be constantly connected, consider purchasing an international data plan."

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I know its not SUPOSED to use texting 🙂

I have just heard stories.. of people saying it DID use it.

Never had an issue with it, till they installed the app.. after uninstalling it, no more.

A bug in the software sort of thing maybe.. that it reverts and uses the regular SMS instead.
(kind of like how some phones can ocassionaly bug, and while even on wifi, still use cellular data, etc)

I dont know, dont use it myself.

Just passing on a possibility 🙂

I've Been Here Awhile

This has occured on my bills several times over the years that I have been with Rogers. They did however, credit me.... eventually and only after extensive time spent on phone and/or live chat. Recently the Rogers live chat girl told me that was basically a nicety...bah! Since when do corporations do nice things. All I am seeing are intermittent attempts to slip charges by unsuspectingin customers. Next steps??? Cancelling my Rogers service and filing a complaint with Commissioner For Complaints For Telecommunications

Retired Moderator RogersPrasana
Retired Moderator

Hi @Susan3

Welcome to the Community Forums! Smiley Happy

That's definitely frustrating to deal with, we would like to help!

We can take a closer look into your text message charges. Please send us a private message to @CommunityHelps the next time you are online and we can assist.

@RogersPrasana

I've Been Here Awhile

Okay. So how can you help me get these charges I did not incurr removed from my invoice?

Hello, @Susan3

We can examine the charges occurred on your account, since addressing the issue involves in accessing your bill, would you please send us a private message at @CommunityHelps as mentioned by @RogersPrasana in the previous post, thank you. 

Our private messaging system is explained in this blog.

Thanks,

RogersMoin

I've Been Here Awhile

After over a year of similar situation...unexplained international text charges to the Bahamas, I am getting angry and frustrated at the lack of help from Rogers chat and various customer service reps who have no answers. This issue dates back years and people are still having problems like me. How much money has Rogers profited from slipping a dollar here and there on peoples bills nd expect them to pay “because that’s what our records show that it came from your phone”.... I would like someone to contact me to investigate and to reimburse all of the charges paid.
I'm a Senior Advisor

I know that I had a number of months a few years back with an issue they did identify within the system where I was being charged for long distance charges that were covered under my plan.  Once they learned of it and that others were dealing with it, they were manually reversing before I even had to call.

You have asked for someone to reach out, but to expedite that, send a private message to @CommunityHelps and they can look at your account and try to get down to the root of this issue.

Lots of people have had success working directly with them, but you need to reach out to them.  One of their staff may very well see your request and suggest the same, but thought I would pass it on.

The rest of us on here, are just like you, community members, and consumers, and although lots of knowledgeable people on here, all we can do is direct you to how to contact Communityhelps, or just give comments, suggestions on what we may have knowledge on.

Good luck,

Bruce

I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you for your suggestion and feedback. I will reach out as suggested.