Unauthorized Third Party Charges

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Unauthorized Third Party Charges

Logically, third parties must give to Rogers some kinds of "your agreement" to get money from Rogers. Does it make sense ? Rogers cannot pay that parties just because third parties requested without submiting any "your approval to use third parties services". The  Rogers must have name, phone numbers, and even what kind of service you agreed to use. Rogers don't help you out of this because they don't want (Rogers surely get some percent on your dollars if they don't help you solving the problem). Customer service may or may not know this problem, then thay can report to supervisers. Think about it, if you're a good customer service guy, will you bring it up to your superviser if you cannot help customer out of that problem ? May be yes, maybe no, but nothing better. That means the person in charge of Rogers simply does not care about  your reasonable concerns. Then you know what to do when you're not bound by contract.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Same complaint as many other in this thread (and in many other forums as well!).

Billed for $40 by “PrizeKing” third-party billing.  PrizeKing claimed I requested and authorized… Hmmm… Not likely as I was in Europe without my Blackberry (switched off and locked away.)  Repeated conversations and tickets with PrizeKing have resulted in nothing but the same message below to each and every query.

“You have been opted out of this service and you are not entitled to a refund of the charges as by entering the PIN, you've entered the terms and conditions and agreed to the charges.”   

I have talked with Rogers’s customer service and also a supervisor to no avail.  They claim this is not their issue and suggest I take it up with PrizeKing.  (Been there, done that).  This is somewhat reminiscent of the get-away driver claiming no knowledge of the bank robbery…

I then took the next step of lodging a complaint with the “Office of the President” of Rogers.  

To date this has resulted in one response from a rep of the “Office of the President”. 

“My name is  Advisor within the Office of the President. Thank you for bringing your concern to my attention. I will be your single point of contact for the resolution of this matter. I am working on your concerns and I will be in contact with you once the details of your case have been reviewed.”

Five follow up emails asking if any progress has been made have been ignored. 

Tried phoning on sever occasions – straight to voice mail and oh, sorry mailbox full…

Next step, Ombudsman? CRTC??    Anyone???

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Follow the complaint process.

Complain,

Escalate and Complain

Complain to the Office of the President

Complain to the Ombudsman (this is where you'll get their attention).

It seems like a lot, but you have to do #1 & #2 to do #3 & #4. 

Well worth the time to make sure it doesn't happen again in the future - which it is sure to happen... won't take so long to resolve next time.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

wow I stopped in to find the answer to another question and read your greivance out of couriosity,,I'm having the same problem with the same musicqz and I have a telus phone .Telus atleast re-emburses my account.Telus has gone on and unsubscribed from this place as I myself have several times.I sent a greivance letter to the CRTC, waitng to hear back..good luck

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi, I just found the same billing on my phone, its been going on since April 2011 as far as Rogers tells me. I did not know I was being billed at all. I don't look at my bills at all, and my wife pays them. I've been billed on the first of each month $5.00 xx or 5 or about $20, 25 a month to Mobile Ad Concep19930 Secret Love Crush. I'm just shocked. Now, about 5 weeks ago I cancelled this phone because I don't use it much and Its cost was high! Now I know why. Like you, I was told to call the third party to get refunded. My business is with ROGERS and they told me that they are not associated with this company yet, I have been billed for months. I will talk to a supervisor tomorrow and hope to get the $120+ back. I've been with this company for 11+ years? They should be protecting me, I didn't call this place or even know I was being billed till I looked at my last statement because I cancelled the phone. They didn't tell me about this last month when I called to cancel the phone? This is just so wrong for Rogers not to refund us? I didn't do anything wrong!  

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Guess I'm going to Telus unless Rogers gives me my money back!

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Anyone still having this problem should call rogers and get them to block all 3rd party charges.  My dad had this problem with the bill he just recieved and when he called rogers they offered to block all third party charges in the future.  unfortunatly rogers would not refund the charge and apparently he has to deal with the third party directly.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

This is very true, recently Rogers has created a blocking code that the customer can elect to have on the account.

This will block all 3rd party transactions. So if you never txt a keyword to an access number, buy apps on the bbapp world, app store or android marketplace then this block is for you.

Remember: you can always have it removed when you want to make a purchase and restore it after-the-fact.

I've talked with a number of people about these fraudulent subscription services, not one of them had the initial charge for the setup of the service. So it would seem that someone or something out there is siffing out new valid celular number and signing them up for a serive as if they were the owner of the number. Its seems really shady and i wouldn't doubt it someone with invested intrest in the provider or manufacturer of the service that's doing this.

this is greedy and evil, and Yes i agree there should be some sort of stop-gap that Rogers and all other Service providers should have is even something as simple as a system message that says

"we've intercepted a 3rd party transaction to the phone number ###-###-####, if you wish to continue with this purchase for $xxx.xx please replay to this message with 'Yes'". 

would that really be so hard?

an extra layer of protection from the hacker/crackers of the world that prey upon the law abiding Canadian citizens?

Highlighted
I've Been Around

One consideration that seem to have missed everyone complaining about these third party charges is this: Why would Rogers just collect this money on behalf of these spurious third-party suppliers free of charge?

One of the Rogers representative that I spoke to when pursuing this matter confirmed my suspicion that Rogers takes a portion of the funds collected as a commission for providing this service to the third-party thieves.

That explains why Rogers is so reluctant to do anything about this situation: Rogers is not a disinterested bystander. On the contrary, Rogers is an active participant reaping profits from these scams.

Thanks for choosing Rogers!

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks to everyone who posted on this issue

I, too, am going through the process of disputing $120 of unauthorized charges by a service identified as PrizeKing and this continues to be channeled through my Rogers bill for the past 4 months. Alas, I've now determined that the remedies advised by Rogers and PrizeKing do not arrive at any kind of resolve and I was even shocked to read from my most recent correspondence with PrizeKing when they stated: "you are not entitled to a refund of the charges as by entering the PIN, you've entered the terms and conditions and agreed to the charges." Alas, I had even confirmed with a Rogers representative that no outgoing texts or data activity was recorded throughout the entire billing period in question. Despite this acknowledgment, Rogers maintains that they hold no responsibility for fraudulent activity and can do little to prevent predatory third-parties from engaging in such practices. Moreover, Rogers also maintains that they cannot defend their client's position even if they wield supporting evidence in support of fraud. Yet, Rogers continues to bill its clients and collect payment on behalf of PrizeKing and similar third-parties. As any affected consumer can easily research, these companies have been well-documented for engaging in illegal and unethical behaviour. For Rogers to abdicate complete responsibility on this serious matter is contrary to the fact that Rogers owns and manages its own wireless network, is well-aware of the underlying issue as expressed by complaints from its own clients and from external consumer protection agencies - and finally (as posted above) continues to relay payment on behalf of third-parties and condone the practice.

Quite frankly, for Rogers to allow the issue to escalate to this level is a real puzzle. My total service bill tends to average approx. $250-300/month and my only request for the past few weeks have been to: 1. reimburse all unauthorized charges reflected in my Rogers bill ($120) 2. To ensure and guarantee that such practices would not happen again in the future (as now assured by Rogers through their third-party blockage). After navigating through PrizeKing's rather arbitrary dispute resolution process, I have no further intention to dispute these charges with a previously unknown entity that engages in fraud and provides inaccurate evidence to legitimate services rendered. On the other hand, I did engage in a service agreement with Rogers for the provision of fair, law-abiding and consensual service - at the very least – and it’s clear from the posts above that many of us feel both abandoned, frustrated and betrayed by this entire ordeal. Quite frankly, the Company still has yet to explain why it’s clients, subscribers to Canada’s largest wireless company, are vulnerable to paying for things they did not order. As I tried to break it down to one representative: "It's like answering your door and being forced to pay for a pizza."

This issue now goes well-beyond a matter of reimbursement and leads me to pursue a more formal inquiry into the breadth of the underlying issue, the degree of the company's legal responsibility and whether this constitutes an unlawful violation of our privacy/personal information (how do companies like PrizeKing first gain access to our mobile information and what allows third-party charges to appear in our personal Rogers invoice in the first place?). After all, what choice do I have from a wireless company that is deferential to my concerns and a third-party to whom I had no relationship to begin with?

From my preliminary consultations with friends and local consumer advocates, I'd encourage everyone to simply go beyond cancelling their services (as I intend to do) but press for widespread and accountable policy change at the company-wide or industry-wide level. This could entail contacting prominent consumer advocates, using social media to prevent further victimization, filing a complaint with external agencies/organizations and by pushing your local MP to support fair consumer regulation (i.e. just as Quebec did when it passed Bill 60 to prevent wireless companies from charging prohibitive early cancellation fees.)  

http://petersilvermanhelps.com/

http://www.ellenroseman.com/

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/

http://www.ccts-cprst.ca/

http://www.bbb.org/canada/

http://www.opc.gouv.qc.ca/

http://www.option-consommateurs.org/en/