US roaming data charges/

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: US roaming data charges/

No way. That's not true at all. I have AT&T sim and T-Mobile sims I use in Canada sometimes you don't get charged for incoming texts and calls. As long you have Data off your good to go.
I Plan to Stick Around

If that statement was true I would have huge bills. I never get a bill for roaming unless I actually send a text or answer a call.
That statement would only be true if people left the DATA ON. As the phone would continually fetch data..
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Hockey821

Once again, we all don't get the same bills. So if u don't get charged, does not mean others will not get charged. Once i go home tonight, i can show u around 4-5 forums of people complain that they got charged. It seems you think because u don't get charged, others won't.
I Plan to Stick Around

I know we don't have the same bills but we all have Similar plans. Everyone who goes roaming to USA or anywhere with no plan and uses pay per use like I do is the same with everyone. Rogers States that If data is OFF there is no worries. There is no charge for incoming texts or calls. Only if you call you get charged. I have pictures proof to prove it from a Rogers live chat. People who complain about being charged is people who don't know how to use there phone outside of Canada and think they can use it the same and leave on DATA roaming which is the big factor in these horror stories. Enough Said.
I've Been Here Awhile

I agreed that once the DATA is off  there is no charged. Rogers don't inform customers to turn off data while roaming. Customers who know this will turn it off, but what about customers who is not aware of this? Not everyone is a frequent traveller.

This is lack of communication on their part and their customer service rep always jump to conculsion

Also, I believed in my case I was probably on the AT&T/T-Mobile network around the Fort Erie area, we went through the Peace bridge border. The charge could be from receiving emails while we were in the Fort Erie area, as the data usage is pretty low (64 KB). I don't mind paying that, if that be the case, but $8 for 64kb is highway robbery.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

This is currently being discussed on the ideabox forum area.

Rogers brought out a new data thing.. 7.99 for up to 50mb or data.. for one day.

At about 1mb or just over... this is CHEAPER than some of the previous base rate prior.
But for people in that under 1mb.. its MORE expensive.

We have asked for at least some separation.. a flloating value up to 1mb, when over, it falls in the 7.99 thing.

I Plan to Stick Around

Yes Rogers should make it more informative about Data and roaming to people who don't know about roaming .. As for the 7.99 charge for 50MB, if you use ANY data even 1KB you will be charged 7.99... At that point I guess use the data up to 50MB To get your money's worth.. If you don't want any charges leave Data off so the 7.99 won't happen. But Rogers Should change it as if the person by accident does turn on Data for a sec there should be a 2MB limit before they issue the 7.99..
I'm Here A Lot

Yes, back last year, I went to the US for the day (I travel there very frequently) and needed to check if something was open (it was a holiday) so used my phone to check their website and then was charged around $8 for checking one website. I found that ridiculous to be honest considering that's all I did and have since just turned off the Data when I travel in the US (so only WiFi will work).
I Plan to Stick Around

Yup well data was more expensive last year as it didn't have the 7.99/50MB.. But that's the way to do it.. Leave data off so at least you can get texts and calls if u wanna answer..
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I hear this roaming issue all of time with different providers! Are these customers turning their data roaming off close to the border? All you need to do is jump to a US tower while sitting waiting to cross and BAM your roaming! I turn my data off on my IPhone long before crossing and have never had an issue. I'm in the US over 20 times in a year with no issues!