Traveller's Suspension

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: Traveller's Suspension

I was phoned Rogers to suspend my account after I leave Canada at 28 April.
They told me I only need to pay $7 after I leave.

I don't know why it charge me $142.62 before I leave Canada  at the end of April.

It's supposed to be $73.96 as usual.

I was suspended from 3 May.

And I still receive the bill which is $81.09. (I think it's the original bill +suspension fee)

I was confused, so I chat with the representative.

They told me again: it will only charge me $7 for suspension.

However, I checked the bill at the end of May.

It charged me $81.09.

I don't understand the policy, if I still need to pay the same amount why do I need to pay more for suspension? 

I think I was overcharged.

I've Been Around

I'm travelling soon , can I have my account suspended for 2 months ?

***Edited Labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There are different suspensions I think, based on the type of services.

You would want to call in, it would have to be done from there.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

There are vacation disconnect options available however you need to qualify for them and the only way to know if you do is to call...

I'm Here A Lot

Rogers internet temporary suspension "facility" is such a SCAM.

I am on vacation for 40 days and wanted to suspend my internet services. Called the help line and was told that I have to do a minimum suspension for two months, otherwise, I will have to pay a reconnection fee of 50$. Who has a vacation for two months? What is the point of having such a facility if it cannot be utilized by most of your customers? #ScamAlert

Good day @rj1984,

Thank you for your post!

We understand why you are feeling this way.

To clarify, a temporary suspension of services is for a period of 2 to 6 months, for $5 per service suspended per month.

A Temporary Suspension of services is for reasons including :

• Vacation
    • Renovations
    • Temporarily not utilizing services but not moving out of the address permanently
    • Seasonal Property (Snow Birds, for example).

If you are only leaving for 40 days, you would have to compare whether you would save more money by requesting the suspension and paying the $49.99 restoral fee as it would be less than 2 months or by keeping everything the same.

Keep in mind that you can always downgrade your services, if you want to save money during the timeframe for which you will not be using them. Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

I'm Here A Lot

Thank you for your reply!

One of the reasons for temporary suspensions is "vacations". In this day and age, how many people have vacations for two months?

My point is that this temporary suspension "facility" is not really a facility at all. It may help a few people but majority of people who go on vacations for 3-4 weeks can't make use of it.

I expect better service from rogers and was very disappointed to learn about this minimum of 2 months. This just tells me that rogers only wants to show that they care about customer service where as in reality they only pay lip service to the idea!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I dont really know ANY company which does LESS than 30 days suspension.  Bell's is (or at least WAS) 30 days.. i used it while i was in college at the place i rented while on my work terms.

Its  not designed to get away with paying less for the time you are away for short periods, etc..  Its designed for larger periods of time..  for people who will be away for extended periods.. with out having to 'disconect' their plan and possibly pay cancelation fees, etc. and re connect it again.

I'm Here A Lot

Just because no one else does it, does not mean in any way that Rogers can't or shouldn't do it. Shouldn't Rogers be different and lead the way in providing service to Canadian consumers? I have lived in East Asia, Middle East and US. Every where I was able to temporarily suspend my accounts (TV cable and internet), once a year, for vacations which lasted around 2-4 weeks. 

Bottom line: I expected better from Rogers. I am going to switch away from Rogers at the very first opportunity.

I'm a Regular

If its a cell you want to put on hold, why not change plan to a roam like home eligible plan and use that in the US, then you don't have to pay a separate US cell bill