Transfer of HD PVR equipment from person to person involving the Power of Attorney

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Transfer of HD PVR equipment from person to person involving the Power of Attorney

My sister-in-law bought my mother-in-law a HD PVR box but she never used it so my sister-in-law removed it. Note that my mother-in-law has dementia and my wife has the power of attorney (POA). The POA had to be on file for this transfer and re-activation to work. This became complex because my sister-in-law did not have the POA. 

My sister in law tried to call Rogers to do the switch and activate the HD PVR box. They needed my mother in law's authorization, but as noted above, she is 87 yrs old and can not remember she has a HD PVR box. Rogers therefore needed someone with the Power of Attorney. My wife has the POA so she called to try and complete the task. She needed  Account Numbers, Telephone Numbers and addresses of both parties. 

She explained the story twice. First with Cable support, then was told that it was not working out. Cable Support told her to try Sales and passed her along. She then had to tell Sales the story over again. While on the phone with Sales, they explained they needed to speak to the receiving party to get their authorization.  My wife asked me to call my sister-in-law to make sure she was home.  Sales called my sister-in-law on another line and completed the transfer of the equipment.

The whole process took about about one hour total and the staff was helpful.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Transfer of HD PVR equipment from person to person involving the Power of Attorney

Yeah, unfortunately, it can take some TIME to do stuff when two parties are involved.. especially when they are not in the same location, etc.

But usually MOST of the time, they can be done.

I have switched a few things, like email addresses between accounts, etc, and was fairly easily able to get it done, but the other people involved lived close, and I was in the same house when they called.. just pass the phone back and forth.  Verify both parties information.. and away they were able to make the changes.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Transfer of HD PVR equipment from person to person involving the Power of Attorney

This is also a good time, to remind people viewing this thread.. about the levels of access, etc on an account.

Obviously, the person nammed on the account, can do anything.

But, even if you say have a cell phone, with your name for the number, but its on someone elses bill... they have the control for it.

A good thing to do, is for anyone else you want in the house to have access to do MOST of the functions, is to have them added to the account as a LEVEL 1 access.
They can usually do pretty much EVERYTHING but cancel it all.

(which can be done say after a death, with providing a death certificate, etc... can have things changed to another person, etc)

----

To The OP, if the mother does have dimentia... it might be worth looking into getting everything switched fully into another person, for ease of account handling.