Text Message to USA

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Text Message to USA

Hi i was just wondering i have unlimited text and i am in Canada but can i also text to number in usa?

****Edited Labels****

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Text Message to USA

Not unless you have an international text messaging add-on.

https://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=AppsAddons

I Plan to Stick Around

i think you can without the plan, but it will cost you like a dollar a text if not more
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Vancouver911

Your unlimited texting is ONLY a number in Canada. You can text a number in USA BUT you will be charged unless you get a International Text Messaging add-on like IHR said.

I think the charge will be around $1 or more. I would not risk it. Get the add-on.

***Update***

All services included in your price plan Is only valid when in Canada and rates vary by your individual price plan when texting an international number.

I Plan to Stick Around

i finally got my iphone ship after 40 dayss i just want to say thanks and how dose the shipping thing work

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello ikwks

That is good news!:). Well Rogers should have shipped you a email if the tracking number and such. You can track it threw UPS until it goes to the store. The store will call you once they get it or when they have time to call.
I Plan to Stick Around

I am also in canada and send texts to the usa often, i have a basic plan with NO international text plan, the additional charge for text to the usa is 25 cents per text.

I've Been Around

A few weeks ago I got a new Samsung phone the S4 and started to text to a friend in the USA regarding my travel plans. Then I started to search the web about this kind of complaint and found all kinds of complaints about people paying thousands of dollars extra for roaming charges they didn't know about or texting charges from their teenagers who also didn't know the details of the plans that their parents set up for them. Then I read if you complain and get a cheaper plan then you get dinged even more for texting and you can't turn texting off. Some people complained that they got charged for unwanted text messages received even when it was from their own service provider. Some kids in Canada have also downloaded various texting applications and discovered to their surprise that the text messages were routed through the USA and cosnequently they were charged enormous fees of hundreds of dollars  as a result. Obviously I never would have texted anything if I had known about this kind of charge.  It seems nobody wants to address this problem that I read so many people have complained about. With texting being the most popular form of communication, the various cell phone companies have a real 'cash cow. with a;; the texting charges especially for unaware users. It definitely pays to really research this especially if you have kids who most likely will not be aware of this kind of thing either. Its almost a scam in my opinion.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not really.. its ALWAYS been that way.

Early texting, was often tied exactly with what your local calling area was.  If i wanted to text OUTSIDE of that, i would pay more.
That has MOSTLY disapeared, most texting it as least canada wide.. but outside of that, its more.

Pretty much, at MIN, base your texings off your CALLING area available on your phone (unless you have something that covers more).

Its in no way a scam... that the user doesnt make sure what their calling/texting/capabilites are, before using them.
When in doubt.. ASK before doing it.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

i just need to clarify some things, text messaging was never based on local calling area, it goes through an SMSC and since its conception on rogers atleast, a text message to Toronto and a text message to Vancouver were the exact same rate, one rate for all of Canada, now it depends on your text messaging plan, some plans like even the one I have include Canada and usa, my old plan only included text to Canada, so check your bill, or when u signed up for the plan ur text message addon or package tells u what you can send

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 10 in conversation