Temporary Vacation/Travel Suspensions?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Temporary Vacation/Travel Suspensions?

I'm trying to find out if Rogers has a service that we can use to suspend/hold (not cancel) our Internet and TV service when we travel.

Currently Internet & TV fees run over $200/mo, and for 4-5 months of the year, we're in Florida.

It never occurred to me before, but in Florida we use Brighthouse and they have a service that suspends all our services with them while we are in Canada.

My husband carries his cell phone and adds the $40 US plan when we travel to and from our home in the US, so we'd need to keep the cell service, but suspend the other 2 services.

If such a plan doesn't exist, why not? There must be a lot of others in our position. Brighthouse charges us nothing to suspend our service for the away months, but even paying a nominal monthly fee during our months away from Canada would be preferrable to paying our current $282 monthly bill.

Right now we have older packages for TV and Internet, so cancelling is an option we don't want to take.

What (if any) are our options? 

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Rogers Employee lockdown2341
Rogers Employee

Re: Temporary Vacation/Travel Suspensions?

You can suspend internet and TV service for up to six months at $5.00/month plus taxes. You can do this every twelve months on your account, and it will suspend any promotions you have for the length of the suspension.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks you very much. How do we go about this, and by "every 12 months" do you mean the suspension periods have to be 12 months apart?

If we leave Jan 1 and return May 1, can we suspend it again the following Jan 1? Sorry, I'm confused about that terminology.

Also, how much notice time is required, and if we are using bundled services (home phone, tv, internet & mobiles) can we suspend just part of the services (tv & internet).

We'll be leaving soon after Christmas this year, so we have lots of time, but it's smart to prepare in advance so we aren't totally clueless 🙂
Highlighted
Rogers Employee

Yeah you're spot on with the terminology. You can take up to six months of suspension every 12 months, and the start dates do have to be 12 months apart.

Not really any advance notice required but it would be good to call in about a week ahead of time so it can be set up without any issues. You have to suspend both internet and cable at the same time but the landline can be left active if necessary. Wireless lines can only be suspended if there is no balance on them (i.e. not on contract)

I've Been Here Awhile

I'd like to contribute to this.

My wife and I tried to suspend our two Rogers phones for the four months we expected to be in the US.  I called in on January 30 to do that.

I won't bore you with the endless hassles that resulted, except to tell you that the outcome was that we were billed not only for the suspension fee but also for all the other charges we were paying prior to the suspension.

And that is the simplest part to explain.  In fact, Rogers suspended one phone for three months instead of two phones for four months, and the effort to get that corrected took HOURS of fruitless time on the phone and live chat.  Here we are in May, getting ready to go home, and it is still wrong - and we have overpaid by about $150.00 for January, February and March.

I have an accounting background, and yet even I have had a hard time making sense out of Rogers's labyrinthine billing system. 

Very frustrating.  Based on our experience, I'd say "Avoid!".  Maybe that's what Rogers really wants....?

Good afternoon @SenojYnot,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forums!

We are truly sorry for the level of service received and we'd like to review your account in order to make things better and rectify your billing. We also want to identify the issue that occured and take the necessary measures to prevent this from happening again.

We can take a closer look into this for you, please send us a private message @CommunityHelps next time you are online to notify us that you are available to correspond with us. I am confident we will have the ability to resolve this matter.

RogersMaude

I've Been Here Awhile

I put our service on vacation hold when we were in Florida for 3 months - and I just noticed that when it came back online the promotion we were on was not applied anymore. Called Roges and they guy said any promotions you have at the time of hold are cancelled. 

Rogers Employee

@Ialreadyregiste

While there are a type of promotions that are removed at the time of the suspension, if I'm not mistaken they aren't really used much anymore. They were promotions applied by a campaign code and they are removed when you go on suspension. But the promotions that are used now are applied with a certain term length and are suspended when you activate the suspension.

In other words you really should have someone look into that because it sounds incorrect.

I've Been Around

I am going away from the first of Nov. until the end of March.  Can I suspend my Rogers tv and internet and how much will it cost?

Retired Moderator RogersRoland
Retired Moderator

Hi @vinnell6,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community Forums.

Please refer to @lockdown2341's post for the solution to your inquiry.

RogersRoland