Switching phones

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
limberlost
I've Been Around

Switching phones

I am currently in a Rogers Plan with a Sony Ericsson Xperiax10.  I wish to buy a new phone.  Do I have to buy a 'Rogers' phone to use my sim card in, or any phone?

I am not sure how this works, so I appreciate the help.

******* Edit labels ********

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Switching phones

You need to buy a phone that can take a sim card in it. No it does not have to be a Rogers branded phone BUT if you buy a phone make sure its UNLOCKED so you can use it on the Rogers network.

I have been using phones from Bell / Telus on Rogers & all i do is unlock them so they can be used.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

You need to buy a phone that can take a sim card in it. No it does not have to be a Rogers branded phone BUT if you buy a phone make sure its UNLOCKED so you can use it on the Rogers network.

I have been using phones from Bell / Telus on Rogers & all i do is unlock them so they can be used.

View solution in original post

JoshVeillieux
I've Been Around

Is rogers willing to trade phones in the middle of a contract? Because I current have a Moto g4 plus but I want to switch to an iPhone 5 or above but is rogers willing to make that trade?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @JoshVeillieux

Unfortunately no carrier including Rogers does this. You can upgrade to a new device BUT you will have to pay the flextab owing from the previous device u got with Rogers. No carrier does trade ins like this sadly.

You can also sell your device on a website or to a family friend and put that money towards the new one.

So in order to get a new device with Rogers , you will have to pay the owing flextab balance and also the device price of the iPhone 5 on a 2yr term unless it shows $0. Also to remind u that u also need to pay the $20 connection fee.

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

My daugher switched mid contract, so I bought out her current phone at what I considered market value - she was happy with it - I bought it at 75% of her pay out price.

So yes, look to see if people want to buy your phone.  You can get the Moto G4 plus on amazon for under 400.00 unlocked, so pay 50.00 to unlock and sell, or sell it to them a bit lower and they can unlock or not.  Be careful about unlocking and making sure that you get it done in the right order so it does not get black listed in error.

Always someone who wants to buy a phone at a discount and you can recover most of your tab.  We have done that a few times with broken phones, not wanting to use the poor replacement phone during warrenty repair. Buy a rogers locked replacement of Kijiji, then when it was time to get the new phone, cell it back through kijiji. Someone is out there who wants a Rogers branded phone to replace their damaged phone, or just get a deal on last years model.

Bruce

Ppond
I've Been Around

Could I get help switching from my s5 to my s7

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Do you physically own/have both phones?

All that should be necessary, is to swap the sim cards. 
(I think they use the same size)

Beyond that, it would be stuff like copying over anything on the phone, email, pictures, etc.
If you set up the google account and have it backup, it should be as simple as restoring on the new phone.