Switching from Ignite back to Cable

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Switching from Ignite back to Cable

@jackfrancis wrote:

I haven't owned a remote controlled television set in 30 years nor have I watched TV at all since switching to computers and the Internet in '08. Thus I'm unfamiliar with current TV program offerings.

I am posting my inquiry here on behalf of my new, elderly room mate who, up until last week, enjoyed Rogers' 'legacy' Cable TV for its (for him) usability and selection of channels and programs it offered.

Unfortunately, the Ignite Starter TV component of the Rogers Ignite 500 package we got earlier in the week is baffling re how its remote control works, and in its seeming exclusion of his favourite programs & channels such as "Highway Through . ", "CTV Pulse", "Heeky", "Heavy Rescue 401" and of course, hockey.

From what I can gather, the Rogers Ignite TV Starter's selection of available programs can be be expanded by subscribing to individual channels (doing so would get far too expensive for anyone on a fixed income) or the more affordable 'Theme Packs'. A sticking point with the latter is that my room mate recognizes none of said Theme Packs as relating to the programs he used to enjoy with his former 'legacy' Cable TV service.

So I suppose the way forward would be to identify the Rogers Ignite TV package upgrades that would replicate the selection of viewing that my room mate used to enjoy.

57, could you please offer any suggestions as to which Ignite TV package upgrades would get us off on the right foot?

To see the list of channels that are included in each package, go to: https://www.rogers.com/web/consumer/ignite-bundles/channels

What package did your roommate subscribe to on Digital Cable and what channels does he watch most?  (If you provide us with the Digital TV channel numbers, we can find the Ignite equivalents.)

"Highway Through . " and "Heavy Rescue 401" air on Discovery (Channel 42)

"CTV Pulse" - Did he mean CP24? (Channel 24)

"Heeky" - I don't know what this program is.  Is this a misspelling or did he mean Hockey?

For hockey, is it enough to watch the games that air on CBC or does your roommate regularly watch Sportsnet and TSN?

The "Starter" bundle is only for people who want the most basic channels.  "Flex 5" and "Flex 10" add additional channels (Flex Channels) but from a limited menu of channel options.  You can also expand your subscription by purchasing individual channels or by adding Theme Packs.  In these bundles, TSN and Sportsnet are not available as Flex channels.  If you need TSN2, make sure that your theme pack includes that channel.

"Flex 20+" expands the number and selection of Flex Channels that are available, and that package includes several sports channels.

"Premier" contains the most channels and provides the most flexibility.  It is also the most expensive package.

Adding "Discovery" as an individual channel to Starter costs $7/month so, to get it, you are better off switching to Flex5 for an additional $5/month, and that will also allow you to add CP24 as a Flex Channel.  Adding "Sports Lite" or "Sportsnet + TSN" will cost an addtional $15 or $20.

However, at this point, you are almost at the cost of "Flex 20+" and with that bundle, you will get many more channels.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jackfrancis : There is another option to set up the remote to control the RCA TV.  Here's a link for the remote instructions:

https://www.urcsupport.com/urc_product/rogers-xr15/?product-provider=365

Click on "Setup" on the right side.  Once in the setup section, on the left side of the screen is a "codefinder" for various TVs, etc.   (I noticed that their website is quite slow today, but usually it works fine.)  You can then enter the make and model of the TV to find the code, which you can enter into the remote per the instructions on the right side of the screen.  The first code you can try is 10047, since that's the "main" RCA code, but it may not work for your particular TV model.  You need to find the correct code for your particular TV and that may require a few attempts since various models require various codes.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jackfrancis wrote:

The Rogers Ignite TV Starter remote control that we have is the XR15, and while it will 'pair' with my roommate's TV (an RCA, Model: RLDED3955A-C), repeated attempts to get the XR15 to control the RCA's volume initially failed with a recurring loop of "Is your TV made by Theham?"

The tricky thing about RCA TV's is that they are not made by RCA anymore; they are made by another manufacturer that just puts the RCA logo on the product.  To get Ignite Voice Remote working, you may find this thread helpful: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Ignite-TV-Remote-Programming-Setup-on-RCA-TV/td-p/44...

You may also need to use the "code finder" option (Setup code 9-9-1) to find a code that works with your TV: https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/pairing-the-voice-remote

For additional tips on programming the XR15 remote, go to:

https://www.urcsupport.com/urc_product/rogers-xr15/

You may also have better luck with the "Ignite TV Big Button" remote found on this page: https://www.rogers.com/support/tv/remote

Rogers will provide you with one free of charge.

We just want the functioning TV service that we're paying for. But Rogers refuses to provide that via a known-to-work 'legacy' Digital Cable TV connection in favour of a troubled technology that septuagenarians are expected to troubleshoot.

Rogers will be discontinuing the legacy "Digital TV" service.  That's why you cannot subscribe to it anymore.  I know that your experience, so far, has been one of frustration but you should be able to get this working and we will do everything that we can to assist you.

jackfrancis
I Plan to Stick Around

@-G- wrote:

@jackfrancis wrote:

I haven't owned a remote controlled television set in 30 years nor have I watched TV at all since switching to computers and the Internet in '08. Thus I'm unfamiliar with current TV program offerings.

I am posting my inquiry here on behalf of my new, elderly room mate who, up until last week, enjoyed Rogers' 'legacy' Cable TV for its (for him) usability and selection of channels and programs it offered.

Unfortunately, the Ignite Starter TV component of the Rogers Ignite 500 package we got earlier in the week is baffling re how its remote control works, and in its seeming exclusion of his favourite programs & channels such as "Highway Through . ", "CTV Pulse", "Heeky", "Heavy Rescue 401" and of course, hockey.

From what I can gather, the Rogers Ignite TV Starter's selection of available programs can be be expanded by subscribing to individual channels (doing so would get far too expensive for anyone on a fixed income) or the more affordable 'Theme Packs'. A sticking point with the latter is that my room mate recognizes none of said Theme Packs as relating to the programs he used to enjoy with his former 'legacy' Cable TV service.

So I suppose the way forward would be to identify the Rogers Ignite TV package upgrades that would replicate the selection of viewing that my room mate used to enjoy.

57, could you please offer any suggestions as to which Ignite TV package upgrades would get us off on the right foot?

To see the list of channels that are included in each package, go to: https://www.rogers.com/web/consumer/ignite-bundles/channels

What package did your roommate subscribe to on Digital Cable and what channels does he watch most?  (If you provide us with the Digital TV channel numbers, we can find the Ignite equivalents.)

"Heeky" - I don't know what this program is.  Is this a misspelling or did he mean Hockey?

For hockey, is it enough to watch the games that air on CBC or does your roommate regularly watch Sportsnet and TSN?

The "Starter" bundle is only for people who want the most basic channels.  "Flex 5" and "Flex 10" add additional channels (Flex Channels) but from a limited menu of channel options.  You can also expand your subscription by purchasing individual channels or by adding Theme Packs.  In these bundles, TSN and Sportsnet are not available as Flex channels.  If you need TSN2, make sure that your theme pack includes that channel.

"Flex 20+" expands the number and selection of Flex Channels that are available, and that package includes several sports channels.

"Premier" contains the most channels and provides the most flexibility.  It is also the most expensive package.

Adding "Discovery" as an individual channel to Starter costs $7/month so, to get it, you are better off switching to Flex5 for an additional $5/month, and that will also allow you to add CP24 as a Flex Channel.  Adding "Sports Lite" or "Sportsnet + TSN" will cost an addtional $15 or $20.

However, at this point, you are almost at the cost of "Flex 20+" and with that bundle, you will get many more channels.

Thank you for the Ignite TV program availability options, G.

My recently moved-in neighbour was fortunate enough to reach a Rogers employee named Rachel on the phone. She helpfully looked up my roommate's former TV channel selections and then transferred them over to the Ignite TV Box. So far so good.

Next, she scheduled a service call for Mon. morning to install and confirm the functionality of a couple of Ignite TV boxes for my aforementioned neighbour's apartment along with insuring their previous channel selection will also be transferred over.

jackfrancis
I Plan to Stick Around

@57 wrote:

@jackfrancis : There is another option to set up the remote to control the RCA TV.  Here's a link for the remote instructions:

https://www.urcsupport.com/urc_product/rogers-xr15/?product-provider=365

Click on "Setup" on the right side.  Once in the setup section, on the left side of the screen is a "codefinder" for various TVs, etc.   (I noticed that their website is quite slow today, but usually it works fine.)  You can then enter the make and model of the TV to find the code, which you can enter into the remote per the instructions on the right side of the screen.  The first code you can try is 10047, since that's the "main" RCA code, but it may not work for your particular TV model.  You need to find the correct code for your particular TV and that may require a few attempts since various models require various codes.

Thank you for the link and related advice, 57. I'll look into it and give it a try after my nap.

jackfrancis
I Plan to Stick Around

@-G- wrote:

@jackfrancis wrote:

The Rogers Ignite TV Starter remote control that we have is the XR15, and while it will 'pair' with my roommate's TV (an RCA, Model: RLDED3955A-C), repeated attempts to get the XR15 to control the RCA's volume initially failed with a recurring loop of "Is your TV made by Theham?"

The tricky thing about RCA TV's is that they are not made by RCA anymore; they are made by another manufacturer that just puts the RCA logo on the product.  To get Ignite Voice Remote working, you may find this thread helpful: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Ignite-TV-Remote-Programming-Setup-on-RCA-TV/td-p/44...

You may also need to use the "code finder" option (Setup code 9-9-1) to find a code that works with your TV: https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/pairing-the-voice-remote

For additional tips on programming the XR15 remote, go to:

https://www.urcsupport.com/urc_product/rogers-xr15/

You may also have better luck with the "Ignite TV Big Button" remote found on this page: https://www.rogers.com/support/tv/remote

Rogers will provide you with one free of charge.

We just want the functioning TV service that we're paying for. But Rogers refuses to provide that via a known-to-work 'legacy' Digital Cable TV connection in favour of a troubled technology that septuagenarians are expected to troubleshoot.

Rogers will be discontinuing the legacy "Digital TV" service.  That's why you cannot subscribe to it anymore.  I know that your experience, so far, has been one of frustration but you should be able to get this working and we will do everything that we can to assist you.

Thank you for the additional links re sorting out the XR15 - RCA handshaking issue, G.

Once I've rested I'll try the various solutions on offer and then report back.

BTW. Radio Corporation of America is now known as SERCO. <-- Worthy of research...

Yeah, I figured Rogers was determined to ditch its legacy cable systems due to their undoubtedly greater overhead in combination with the (now ironically) higher mobility aspirations of their increasingly younger and more tech savvy customer base. On that score, it's too bad that easily found info gleaned from numerous credible sources indicates that true mobility will never again be a reality for the common citizens of the Five Eyes nations nor for the Crown / City of London's other de facto colonies -- regardless of the Establishment's mendacious assertions to the contrary.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@jackfrancis wrote:

Bottom line:

After four days of frustration, the XR15 / Ignite TV Starter wireless box combo that we have has demonstrated itself to be a buggy POS not fit for purpose. What is required is a visit from a Rogers service tech to completely remedy its persistent issues -- or an alternate exploration of the offerings from a competing service provider, which at this point, couldn't be much worse.

I've been a Rogers customer since I switched to cable over 30 years ago.  I got digital cable when a Rogers telemarketer called me and offered me a free (discontinued) SD PVR and a package with more channels just a digital upcharge in 2009. I was hooked. The SARA interface was super easy to navigate, but only had 2 tuners, so I still used my VCR and DVDR and later timeshift to record everything I wanted. I ended up  acquiring an HD SA8300 PVR.  When Rogers introduced Ignite TV, I looked into it, but opted out because it would have cost me twice as much and I would have had to switch to Rogers as my ISP and home phone provider, a non-starter.

My digital cable package was the now grandfathered VIP.  600-odd channels, multiple duplicates and lots of no use to me.  So I bit the bullet and subscribed to IPTV from my ISP. The cost was about the same, but I had a better choice of channels I actually wanted to watch compared to VIP.

It appears to be Rogers policy not to allow customers to switch back to digital once they've tried Ignite TV, even if they're very unhappy with it. That makes no sense at all when the cable infrastructure is still there. It's an artificially irreversible up-sell.  Back when Ignite was introduced Rogers had a $150 fee to get it set up and working properly. It seems that charge has been dropped. Does that mean Rogers will no longer come and set it up for you? You get what you get and don't get upset? Rogers most certainly needs to fix this for you, or let you go back to your former digital TV package.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
jackfrancis
I Plan to Stick Around

@jackfrancis wrote:

@-G- wrote:

@jackfrancis wrote:

Thank you for the Ignite TV program availability options, G.

My recently moved-in neighbour was fortunate enough to reach a Rogers employee named Rachel on the phone. She helpfully looked up my roommate's former TV channel selections and then transferred them over to the Ignite TV Box. So far so good.

Next, she scheduled a service call for Mon. morning to install and confirm the functionality of a couple of Ignite TV boxes for my aforementioned neighbour's apartment along with insuring their previous channel selection will also be transferred over.

@-G-OK then. Upon checking my e-mail, I've learned the following:

Added:
Ignite TV Premier + 500 Ultd <-- I can't find the per month price of this on Rogers' site. G, do you know how much this is?
Description:
Ignite TV Premier

(124 channels, 84 Flex channels)

Removed:
Ignite TV Starter + 500 Ultd <-- This cost 129.99 per month + setup.
Description:
Ignite TV Starter

(36 channels, no Flex channels)

jackfrancis
I Plan to Stick Around

@OLDYELLR wrote:

@jackfrancis wrote:

Bottom line:

After four days of frustration, the XR15 / Ignite TV Starter wireless box combo that we have has demonstrated itself to be a buggy POS not fit for purpose. What is required is a visit from a Rogers service tech to completely remedy its persistent issues -- or an alternate exploration of the offerings from a competing service provider, which at this point, couldn't be much worse.

I've been a Rogers customer since I switched to cable over 30 years ago.  I got digital cable when a Rogers telemarketer called me and offered me a free (discontinued) SD PVR and a package with more channels just a digital upcharge in 2009. I was hooked. The SARA interface was super easy to navigate, but only had 2 tuners, so I still used my VCR and DVDR and later timeshift to record everything I wanted. I ended up  acquiring an HD SA8300 PVR.  When Rogers introduced Ignite TV, I looked into it, but opted out because it would have cost me twice as much and I would have had to switch to Rogers as my ISP and home phone provider, a non-starter.

My digital cable package was the now grandfathered VIP.  600-odd channels, multiple duplicates and lots of no use to me.  So I bit the bullet and subscribed to IPTV from my ISP. The cost was about the same, but I had a better choice of channels I actually wanted to watch compared to VIP.

It appears to be Rogers policy not to allow customers to switch back to digital once they've tried Ignite TV, even if they're very unhappy with it. That makes no sense at all when the cable infrastructure is still there. It's an artificially irreversible up-sell.  Back when Ignite was introduced Rogers had a $150 fee to get it set up and working properly. It seems that charge has been dropped. Does that mean Rogers will no longer come and set it up for you? You get what you get and don't get upset? Rogers most certainly needs to fix this for you, or let you go back to your former digital TV package.

Well, as G has stated; Rogers is moving out of legacy tech and into wireless. Methinks their move (along that of Bell) may be part of a larger industry shift into 5G-->6G / IoT / autonomous vehicles / AI controlled robots -- and 'other' things.

Satellite Deployment Plans

Source:

GUARDS - Global Union Against Radiation Deployment from Space
http://www.stopglobalwifi.org/

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jackfrancis wrote:

@-G-OK then. Upon checking my e-mail, I've learned the following:

Added:
Ignite TV Premier + 500 Ultd <-- I can't find the per month price of this on Rogers' site. G, do you know how much this is?
Description:
Ignite TV Premier

(124 channels, 84 Flex channels)

Removed:
Ignite TV Starter + 500 Ultd <-- This cost 129.99 per month + setup.
Description:
Ignite TV Starter

(36 channels, no Flex channels)

You can find that information here: https://www.rogers.com/web/consumer/ignite-bundles/get-iptv

The list price for "Ignite TV Premier + 500 Ultd" is currently $194.99 + tax per month.

The big question is, are you subscribing to a higher-tier service than what you need?  If you don't have a large household, 150 Mbps Unlimited Internet should be ample.  The Ignite Flex 20+ TV package may also give you all of the TV channels that you need for substantially less money.  I would also try sending a Private Message to the @CommunityHelps  team to see if there are any additional credits that they can apply.  Even if there are no promotions in effect in your area, they may be able to waive your setup fees.