Switching from Ignite back to Cable

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
multiheather
I've Been Here Awhile

Switching from Ignite back to Cable

We agreed to switch our TV/Internet/Home Phone package to Ignite based on Rogers reassurance that we could use our existing Harmony remotes with the tv.  When the technician told us we'd have to program the remotes ourselves, we told him to revert the tvs and phone which he'd already switched over.  Apparently it could take up to 7 days (!!!) to get our home phone working again!!!! So beware!  My husband works from home and although we can manage with our cell phones, this is crazy!  One hour to switch us to ignite and 2 days so far without switching us back.  

**Labels Added**

Biollw
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Switching from Ignite back to Cable

Weird...people are using harmony remotes with the Ignite Xi6 TV boxes all the time. And yes you have to reprogram them yourselves.

We are told they could not revert your home phone number back to traditional Home phone once it is ported to Ignite home phone type. You would lose the phone number.

But good luck.

Bill

Bplayer
I'm a Senior Contributor

Of course you can use a Harmony remote with Ignite. Did you really expect the installer to reprogram your Harmony remote? When you get a new TV, a different brand, you have to reprogram the remote. This situation is the same, but what is crazy is that you expected something different.

Switching to Ignite was a good idea, and you may still want to do that when in the future. Unfortunately, you have started down a dangerous path that potentially has some snags. Hopefully you will get your phone line restored with the original telephone number shortly.

If you do switch to Ignite and need online assistance with reprogramming the Harmony remote just post a note. There is lots of experience and help available.

jackfrancis
I Plan to Stick Around

To expand upon what the title says, Rogers's Ignite TV is buggy, byzantine to navigate, and impresses me as being the consequence of a design approach that ignores form-follows-function. I want my old Rogers Digital Cable TV service that I had prior to moving into a new apartment last week. At least it worked as expected.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jackfrancis : As discussed in this and other similar threads, it is highly unlikely that you will be able to switch back to Digital Cable, especially if you moved. Rogers is phasing digital cable out.  There is a slim chance you may be able to subscribe to the most basic digital cable package since there is no IgniteTV equivalent, however, all other packages after a move are now IgniteTV.

There are always differences between service providers and different options within service providers, like Bell Satellite vs Fibe, all having plusses and minuses.

jackfrancis
I Plan to Stick Around

In that case, 57, I need a technician to come to my new apartment and verify the Rogers Ignite Starter TV's functions, and to offer suggestions as to how its usability and channel selection can be improved so as to be on par with the Rogers Digital Cable TV service I had at my old apartment up until last week.

Please excuse me for not responding promptly as I'm expecting a my prescription meds delivery between 4 - 6PM.

BTW. When I was on hold for a Rogers live chat 15 min. ago, I was cut off for mentioning the above time restraint.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jackfrancis wrote:

In that case, 57, I need a technician to come to my new apartment and verify the Rogers Ignite Starter TV's functions, and to offer suggestions as to how its usability and channel selection can be improved so as to be on par with the Rogers Digital Cable TV service.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Are you talking about IgniteTV's functionality (how things work), or are you talking about the channel packages? (Flex, Premier, etc).

There are certain things that IgniteTV does, that digital cable does not and there are a few things that digital cable did that IgniteTV cannot.  Please be specific if possible.  There are several threads in the IgniteTV forum here discussing the differences between IgniteTV and Digital Cable.

jackfrancis
I Plan to Stick Around

@57 wrote:

@jackfrancis wrote:

In that case, 57, I need a technician to come to my new apartment and verify the Rogers Ignite Starter TV's functions, and to offer suggestions as to how its usability and channel selection can be improved so as to be on par with the Rogers Digital Cable TV service.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Are you talking about IgniteTV's functionality (how things work), or are you talking about the channel packages? (Flex, Premier, etc).

There are certain things that IgniteTV does, that digital cable does not and there are a few things that digital cable did that IgniteTV cannot.  Please be specific if possible.  There are several threads in the IgniteTV forum here discussing the differences between IgniteTV and Digital Cable.

Thank you for responding, 57, and please allow me to supply some brief context:

I haven't owned a remote controlled television set in 30 years nor have I watched TV at all since switching to computers and the Internet in '08. Thus I'm unfamiliar with current TV program offerings.

I am posting my inquiry here on behalf of my new, elderly room mate who, up until last week, enjoyed Rogers' 'legacy' Cable TV for its (for him) usability and selection of channels and programs it offered.

Unfortunately, the Ignite Starter TV component of the Rogers Ignite 500 package we got earlier in the week is baffling re how its remote control works, and in its seeming exclusion of his favourite programs & channels such as "Highway Through Hell ", "CTV Pulse", "Heeky", "Heavy Rescue 401" and of course, hockey.

From what I can gather, the Rogers Ignite TV Starter's selection of available programs can be be expanded by subscribing to individual channels (doing so would get far too expensive for anyone on a fixed income) or the more affordable 'Theme Packs'. A sticking point with the latter is that my room mate recognizes none of said Theme Packs as relating to the programs he used to enjoy with his former 'legacy' Cable TV service.

So I suppose the way forward would be to identify the Rogers Ignite TV package upgrades that would replicate the selection of viewing that my room mate used to enjoy.

57, could you please offer any suggestions as to which Ignite TV package upgrades would get us off on the right foot?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jackfrancis :  Here are my comments:

1. I'm not on IgniteTV myself. I'm still on Digital Cable. Nevertheless, I've been following all the threads regarding IgniteTV, so I'm quite familiar with its idiosyncrasies.

2. I don't watch any of the programmes you mention, so you'd have to figure out which channels they appear on and then see how to get them with IgniteTV, if indeed additional channels are required since the basic ones are there.

3. Although I don't watch hockey, I know that it airs on a variety of channels with many different restrictions on what airs on those channels. Watching some hockey can be easy, but getting specific games (or all games) can become very expensive because several different (expensive) channels are required.  For example, here's a link to a hockey post on the topic with a long clarification of what's required:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/threads/how-many-channels-does-rogers-use-for-hnic.293077/#post-3127749

4. I will mention @-G- here because he's our IgniteTV expert and perhaps he has some suggestions.

5. I have found the moderators on this forum very helpful, so once you know what your roommate wants, PM them for assistance. Here's how to PM.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Rogers-Community-Forums-Blog/Get-to-know-your-Community-How-To...

6. Using the voice remote to search for specific programming may be the way to go.  It should find your programming, but whether you can then view it will depend on your package, it may even provide you with the option to subscribe, if that's something you wish to do....

jackfrancis
I Plan to Stick Around

@57 wrote:

@jackfrancis :  Here are my comments:

1. I'm not on IgniteTV myself. I'm still on Digital Cable. Nevertheless, I've been following all the threads regarding IgniteTV, so I'm quite familiar with its idiosyncrasies.

2. I don't watch any of the programmes you mention, so you'd have to figure out which channels they appear on and then see how to get them with IgniteTV, if indeed additional channels are required since the basic ones are there.

3. Although I don't watch hockey, I know that it airs on a variety of channels with many different restrictions on what airs on those channels. Watching some hockey can be easy, but getting specific games (or all games) can become very expensive because several different (expensive) channels are required.  For example, here's a link to a hockey post on the topic with a long clarification of what's required:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/threads/how-many-channels-does-rogers-use-for-hnic.293077/#post-3127749

4. I will mention @-G- here because he's our IgniteTV expert and perhaps he has some suggestions.

5. I have found the moderators on this forum very helpful, so once you know what your roommate wants, PM them for assistance. Here's how to PM.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Rogers-Community-Forums-Blog/Get-to-know-your-Community-How-To...

6. Using the voice remote to search for specific programming may be the way to go.  It should find your programming, but whether you can then view it will depend on your package, it may even provide you with the option to subscribe, if that's something you wish to do....

Thank you for your advice, 57.

The Rogers Ignite TV Starter remote control that we have is the XR15, and while it will 'pair' with my roommate's TV (an RCA, Model: RLDED3955A-C), repeated attempts to get the XR15 to control the RCA's volume initially failed with a recurring loop of "Is your TV made by Theham?"

In an attempt to to re-boot the Ignite TV wireless box, I unplugged its USB type-C power plug, waited a few minutes, then plugged it back in and allowed time for it to reinitialize. I also temporarily removed the batteries from the XR15 with the same aim.

Next, I once again 'paired' the XR15 to the RCA TV but when the procedure had reached the option to take control of the RCA TV's volume, the Ignite TV wireless box could not even find the RCA brand under the letter R in its alphabet selection menu.

Bottom line:

After four days of frustration, the XR15 / Ignite TV Starter wireless box combo that we have has demonstrated itself to be buggy and not fit for purpose. What is required is a visit from a Rogers service tech to completely remedy its persistent issues -- or an alternate exploration of the offerings from a competing service provider, which at this point, couldn't be much worse.

We just want the functioning TV service that we're paying for. But Rogers refuses to provide that via a known-to-work 'legacy' Digital Cable TV connection in favour of a troubled technology that septuagenarians are expected to troubleshoot.