Suspend cellphone account whilst away

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Suspend cellphone account whilst away

Hi I recently got a Rogers SIM for my 'phone for the times I'm in Canada (I live in the UK, but go to Canada often). I pay $30 / month but was told I could suspend the account whilst away to reduce the bill to somewhere around $7-8 / month until I return and re-activate. I was told I could do it online, but I can't find anywhere to do it. Anybody able to advise me on this? Thanks!

Peter

***Edited Labels***

Retired Moderator RogersPrasana
Retired Moderator

Re: Suspend cellphone account whilst away

Hi @PWP

Welcome to the Community Forums! Smiley Happy

We can assist you with completing the temporary suspension for your wireless line, send us a private message to @CommunityHelps and we can take a look.

@RogersPrasana

I've Been Here Awhile

I need to suspend cell phone service as my wife is in hospital for next 4 to 6 months thanks in advance
I've Been Around

I want to move another country and may return back to canada eigth months later. I want to deactivate my simcard until my return.

Is there any way for this?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Mrhedyehzadeh

You can contact Rogers by calling them and have them suspended the account. However you are still responsible to pay each month the account balance. That will be your monthly fees that get charged.

If you fail to pay that then they may close down the account for none payment and take you to collections.
Rogers Employee JakeyPrime
Rogers Employee

This is mostly correct. If you have a tab on your phone, then you are unable to suspend your account, as you are paying off your phone slowly over time, hence the point of the flex-tab. However if you're on a plan where you own your phone, or you're paying month to month, then Rogers can for sure suspend your account for a tiny monthly fee to maintain your phone number and all your account information, and making sure you don't need a credit check on your return. 

You can call Rogers Care and they would happily take a look at your options and see what they can do for you, to make it as easy as possible during your time away!

I've Been Around

If you have a month to month plan and you suspend your account, and pay the montly suspension fee do you retain your plan or do you need to get a new plan when you reactivate?

Rogers Employee JakeyPrime
Rogers Employee

The point of the suspension fee is to reserve your phone number and all the plan details you have, as well as your account. As soon as you remove the suspension it's all there. But obviously while it's suspended the plan is not active.
I've Been Around

I have a share all plan with 3 numbers on it. I wish to suspend one number for 10 months while the user is out of the country (& using a cheap pay as you go sim while away) I want to retain the number but the number will not be used at all. The phone is paid off.
I was told it was $14 every two months to keep the number. Is this the case?

Good evening @1Jay,

Welcome to the Rogers Community and thanks for your post!

Making sure you're able to save money, while a phone you pay for won't be in use, is a great idea!

We're glad to provide you with your options.

If you wish to keep your plan the same, we can offer you a temporary suspension for 2-4 months. 
You will need to contact us within 30 days from your requested suspension date, to get it added to your account.

The cost is $7 plus tax /month. It discounts your monthly plan without changing it completely:
•    You will be charged your suspension fee monthly. 
•    Your plan and services (with monthly service fees) will automatically be restored when the suspension is over.
•    The suspension must start on the first day of your bill cycle date. 

We are able to provide you with long term suspension solutions, however a price plan change is required.
If you want the full 10 months discounted, we could put you on a minimal plan. The goal is that you'll have the ability to keep the phone number, for when the user comes back to Canada.

The seasonal plan is $16/month, on which we offer a $9 monthly discount, for up to 12 months, if the phone is not in use. Therefore, you'll be paying $7 plus tax /month.

As price plans and offers do change month over month, we cannot guarantee your existing price plan/pricing will be available upon your return. We will be happy to review all price plan options available at the time, to ensure you have the right plan to suit all your needs.

If you would like us to submit the suspension request of your line, please send a private message to @CommunityHelps. For more information on our Private Messaging system, click here.

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

Topic Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 10 in conversation