Sim card being scanned

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Sim card being scanned

My Rogers Sim card is being scanned by a Rogers subcontractor.  How do I prevent this and what (if anything) can Rogers do about this?

I know my texts and numbers dialed are being monitored by someone that works in the telecom industry.

***edited labels***

Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Sim card being scanned

Hi @sammy12

Not sure I completely understand what you mean. Is it that you believe your SIM has been cloned?

If this is the case, first suggestion would be to get a new SIM card.

RogersDarrell

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@sammy12, how do you know that? What are the clues? Let us know, so we can see if that's also happening to us.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Wonder if they got a call from Zedd or one of the other sub contractors?
And that the sub contractor had details about their usage?
My guess this info is passed along to the contractor so they can then promote a package which better fits that usage

Rogers Employee lockdown2341
Rogers Employee

Yeah, there would be more details needed on this. Just saying it's being 'scanned' doesn't really clarify things. I think @Gdkitty is probably onto something, where by 'scanned' the OP means that one of the subcontractors has access to the information to provide him with a promotion of some sort.

If that's the case, then there's nothing to be worried about. No one is 'monitoring' you.

I'm Here A Lot

Here are the details:

I live in a multiple unit building & the residents on the floor below me can read my texts as I send them.

I was having problems with these tenants & complained to the landlord via text.  I could hear them reading my texts.

I also heard one of them say: "I cant scan the phone without the SIM card in it", after I pulled my SIM card out of my phone.

The only people capable of doing this would be employed in the telecom industry & Rogers subcontractors would have the tools to do such a thing.

I havent used my phone in 3 weeks because of this.

If someone has the ability to scan SIM cards, then getting a new SIM card will not help because they would have the abilty to scan the new SIM card as well.

The only difference would be if the newer micro SIM card I would get as a replacement for the older, bigger SIM card I have, has better encryption on it.

Whether my SIM card is or isnt being scanned is not up for debate, what I want to know, is can Rogers detect when this is occuring & catch the guilty parties?

Retired Moderator RogersArthur
Retired Moderator

Hi @sammy12,

I understand the frustration of your concerns of the possibilities that your phone may be compromised. I would also feel uncomfortable knowing someone was able to access my information. In my experience it's not possible the SIM card would be the item used in any sort of security breach.

For your particular situation I would suggest backing up all the information from your device, preforming a factory data reset and adding a new security passcode to the device. If you do feel purchasing a micro SIM card would give you more peace of mind, you can refer to the closest Rogers store and request a Multi SIM card. This card is pretty much the latest SIM card designed to physically adapt to working with all three sizes (Standard, Micro and Nano).

Hope this helps,

RogersArthur

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The SIM itself.. Doesn't broadcast anything. It needs the phone to do it. The phone has to be making physical contact with the contacts on the phone for it to communicate.
It's not like a rfid or something which could be scanned from afar possibly.

I would think more likely they have something which could intercept broadcast signals?
But there is no way Rogers could tell this or not.
If you believe something like that is going on, it's pretty criminal as far as I am aware and would get the police involved.

I'm Here A Lot

What there are doing is a crime, however, proving this other than hearsay is next to impossible, and I would probably sound paranoid.

The only other monitoring techique I can think of is they are somehow accessing my phone information while it is connected to the shared wireless network.

Is it possible to gain access to SIM card details (texts etc), if a phone is connected to a wireless home network?

I will change my SIM card & number because of this, I hope that solves it.

Thanks

I'm a Senior Advisor

@sammy12, I'll ask again. What gave you a clue that your SIM card was being scanned?

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario