Service Area Expansion

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Service Area Expansion

Internet and TV in Georgetown Ontario (halton Hills)

Hello,

So I have been with Rogers for 15+ years. I recently had to move to Georgetown, Ontario and noticed Rogers isnt in this area? Only Bell and Cogeco and some other low end names. 

Will Rogers ever come to Georgetown? I hate to switch ....

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

An unfortunate comparison, but cable companies are like the mob..they dont invade each other's "turf".

If Georgetown is Cogeco territory, then it's what you get for "big" cable.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You will not find more than one cable company in a particular area. It is simply too expensive to "overbuild".  It costs billions to put in infrastructure. The only thing that has happened is that some providers have purchased other smaller providers, or taken over (swapped) areas if it's financially advantageous to do so (Rogers/Shaw in Atlantic Canada).

Even then it sometimes takes years to implement new technology in that area, with the purchaser often continuing with the existing (old) infrastructure and equipment (Rogers in Atlantic Canada)

There will be no advance notice of anything like this for competitive reasons. One of the last I remember is Aurora Cable being taken over by Rogers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurora_Cable_Internet

It is possible to have several different providers with different technology - Satellite, IPTV, Cable, Streaming.  I believe Rogers owns a share of Cogeco.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cogeco

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@57 wrote:

You will not find more than one cable company in a particular area. It is simply too expensive to "overbuild".  It costs billions to put in infrastructure. The only thing that has happened is that some providers have purchased other smaller providers, or taken over (swapped) areas if it's financially advantageous to do so (Rogers/Shaw in Atlantic Canada).

True. Shaw was the cable company in my area back in the 1980s when I moved here.  Then it became Rogers. They must  have swapped out territories, Shaw being based in Alberta.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Well Cogeco is not the "Big" cable company here. Bell is. The technology already exists here. They have the fiber cable. Thats what I ended up getting. I just rather prefer Rogers compared to Bell beacuse of Rogers System, Modem and I am used to dealing with them for the good and the bad. I was shocked to know that there is just Bell here and Cogeco but not Rogers. I know for other GTA areas you get both companies and you choose which one you want.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@FITIMS wrote:
1. Well Cogeco is not the "Big" cable company here. Bell is. 
2. I know for other GTA areas you get both companies and you choose which one you want.

1. Bell is not "cable". It's IPTV. 

2. As discussed in post 33 of this thread, there are no areas of Canada that have two cable companies (what was traditionally called a cable company). Cogeco is the cable company in your area and it's a fairly large company as indicated in the link I previously provided.

3. Rogers, traditionally called a cable company, is rolling out IPTV (IgniteTV) along with digital cable (side-by-side).  Both use the same infrastructure - Fibre to the Node, and eventually fibre to the home.  Their "digital cable" will eventually be gone in a few years.  Rogers will not be muscling in on Cogeco's turf.

These companies are called Service Providers or BDUs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multichannel_television_in_Canada

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Hi there - recently on a hike in Severn Bridge I noted a lot of orange markers in the forest, which to my knowledge normally indicate communication lines (or proposed comm lines).  Are there plans for Rogers to expand in the area?  That would be fantasitc as the options are very limited at this time (10mb BELL DSL lines for $100/month is the best you can get).

The area I noted the flags was between Severn River Road and Davis Drive in Severn Bridge.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

The service lookup tool (and your site chat) both confirm that no service is currently available at xx Peter Schneider Sharon ON Lxx xxx. (Keep personal info. private)

My question is can you advise of any future plans to expand services in the area.

The community in question is an enclave of what will be 25 estate homes once completed.

We love the community, and because it is just outside of Newmarket we assumed that there would be high speed internet and cable available.

We are struggling with xPlornet and even trying a wireless modem but we are getting terrible service.

Really hoping you can shine a light at the end of the tunnel and provide an estimate as to when Rogers will serive the area.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and get back to me.

Highlighted

Hello @JKR66,

Thanks for joining us in the Rogers community and congrats on your first post! 😊

I can certainly understand your disappointment with not having any internet or TV services available at your new residence. Many of us depend on these services to help stay connected with the world around us. 

If you can send us a Private Message, we can check to see if there are any upcoming plans to extend services to your area in the near future. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, please check out our blog.

Cheers!

RogersLaura