SMS in Chinese Characters

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: SMS in Chinese Characters

SMS being sent as chinese characters

Just started happening today, seems any SMS I send that are long messages (I assume more than 160 char) are received by the other party as garbled chinese characters.  Using an iPhone 6, fully updated, but from what I'm reading doesn't seem to be an iPhone issue, but a carrier problem...  Anyone have any ideas?

Hello @redgrandam,

Welcome and thank you for your post Robot Happy!

This definitely sounds odd. Are your texts still being sent as Chinese characters? 

I know you mentioned it started yesterday but has this ever happened before as well?

Please keep us posted.

RogersZia

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for checking up. So far today so good, it might have fixed itself. It was inconsistent, so I'll report back if it happens again 🙂
I've Been Here Awhile

I've been receiving strange characters that look Chinese/Korean on my phone . It happens after I sent a text. I have a Samsung S7 bought at a Rogers dealer store. It's not unlocked. The characters are not Chinese and I know cos I read Chinese! Lol
Characters look like this:
浥獳慧攠⁴漠ㄴㄶ㘲㐳㔷〠獵捣敥摥搮
I've been getting it for a while now from different people.

Retired Moderator RogersPrasana
Retired Moderator

Hi @tml73

Welcome to the Community Forums and thank you for posting! Smiley Happy

That's definitely strange, are your still receiving SMS in Chinese characters? 

Let us know if you continue to receive these messages.

RogersPrasana 

I'm Here A Lot

Good morning.  Yes - matter of fact it happened just this am when I sent a text to my Mom - almost immediately after sending the text - I get a text back with the Chinese characters... 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The other week I got the chineese characters from an SMS from my wife too, she then screnshot her message and showed me that it was indeed in english, oh well, it has not happened since,

I've Been Here Awhile

I havent since my post here but sparadically have been getting it from different people over last year or so.
I'm Here A Lot

Its a unicoding problem. When UTF 16 gets used instead of UTF 8. Which is actually a conversion problem on Rogers back-end when an extra 1 gets added to the binary code. Go here: http://signsoftheword.com ((I don't know why it has a religious banner on the site)) and paste the message. It will convert the message for you.
I'm Here A Lot

Read my response to the original post.
Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats
  • 24 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 14 in conversation