Rogers email hacked - anything to be done?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Rogers email hacked - anything to be done?

For the second time in a month one of our Rogers email accounts has been hacked.   The password was strong and has of course been changed again but is there anything else a customer can do?   Our computer wasn't even turned on and the problem is based on only one e-mail address so it appers to be on the server side of things.  

Further is there not some way that customers could be alerted to this?  Maybe a notification that the server has been compromised and to warn contacts about the message?

I have to believe that someone at Rogers was aware of the security breach before we awoke to 100's of returned messages.

***Edit Labels****

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: Rogers email hacked - anything to be done?

Welcome to the Community @svhorner !

Sorry to hear about the email account issues.

I will tag a few our our Resident Experts to provide you with some security tips @Datalink @Gdkitty @VivienM

I would suggest having an active anti virus/malware protection running at all times, as this seems to be something only affecting your email account.

RogersAsif

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

The most obvious way a strong password can be stolen is by a key logger on your computer.  I would suggest a complete scan.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As mentioned, if you do have a malware type keyloger, then you could change it 100 times and keep giving it to them.

But.
The 100's of returned messages part, makes me wonder.
Are they actually delivery failure ones? Or something else.
If they are delivery failure, the. Yes it's likely the account hacked.
BUT unfortunately anyone in the world can just spoof your address.
I could set up my email program, while sending from MY address, appear to come from yours, all reply mail from it going back to yours, etc.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

It sounds like you are the victim of a "joe job". (Google the Wikipedia entry for this term, you'll see)

@Gdkitty is right. It is common for email addressed to be spidered much like Google indexes websites - however, the email indexes are generally compiled by spammers for spammers. The same is done with phone numbers. However, with email, the outgoing server (smtp) basically gives the sender benefit of the doubt that s/he/it is really who they claim to be. Thus, someone can easily claim to be you while sending email to other people. If you recieve hundreds of delivery notices, I *highly doubt your email has been hacked*.

Why do I doubt? Because Rogers (actually, Yahoo) will *never let you send hundreds of emails in a short amount of time*. Reputable service providers set limits to how many emails their users can send, in hopes to prevent spam botnets from proliferating on their networks 😉 So my guess is, you haven't been compromised.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for the information.   My question is now what the solution can be?   It happened yet again this morning.  The message contains a link to mbustos.com and a second one to proformancesportsacademy.com.   Both messages sent 2 minutes apart at just before 5 am EST when our computer was turned off.

Seems the virus (if it is a virus) then generates more messages appearing to come from other email addresses that were part of my wife's contacts.   So for example a message came back to her as underliverable (there were 80 of these) but one person's name had been combined with another email address so it appeared that the individual had sent a mail message from an IT helpdesk.

So is there anything I can do to stop this?    

Seems after reading the Joe Job information that there is not.  Just bad luck to have made it to a list somewhere.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Yes, 80 delivery failure messages this morning.  

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Avast antivirus always running and up to date is the response to the earlier question.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Since the last time this occurred I've actually replaced the hard drive on the computer and the account that the mail appears to be sent from is not activated on the new drive.   So that makes me confident the messages are not originating from my computer.  Webmail password has been changed repeatedly as this has gone on and is very secure.

Then this morning, piles of "message undeliverable" messges again.  The thing is that the messges are going to people I know.   It seems that they are sometimes manipulated to appear to be coming from other contacts.

If someone eles's computer was compromised and my address was within a message sent to many others, could that explain what is going on?  

@Gdkitty, @ch4@RogersAsif   Is there anything I can do about this?   Anything at all?   

Thanks.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

My GUESS? 

That they are just using your email address in it..without possibly using your account per say.

That somewhere its set up sending email via XYZ email account... but in its naming and its reply to fields, its using YOUR email address.

Any failures, replies, etc, would then go back to your email .