cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers email about decommissioning cable boxes

wayner92
I'm a reliable contributor

I am still on legacy cable in Scarborough, ON.  I just got an email from Rogers that said:  "Your account shows that your current TV Box with a model number starting either with SA or PA will be decommissioned as of April 30, 2024."

Does anyone know what is behind this?  I have quite a few cable boxes of various types - SA3250HDs, SA4250HDs, SA8300HDs, etc.

Are they totally getting rid of legacy cable in my area?  Or just decommisioning some boxes?

*Added Labels*

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Rogers email about decommissioning cable boxes

wayner92

I found more info here:  https://www.rogers.com/support/digital-cable/digital-tv-box-retirement

TV box models retiring on April 30, 2024:

• SA HD3250 DTV
  • SA HD3100 DTV
  • SA E940-C
  • SA DTV
  • SA 940 DTV
  • SA 8300HDC PVR
  • SA 8300HD PVR
  • SA 8300 PVR
  • SA 8000HD PVR
  • SA 8000 PVR
  • SA 4290 DTV
  • SA 4250HD DTV
  • SA 3290 DTV
  • SA 3200 DTV
  • SA 3190 DTV
  • SA 3100 DTV
  • SA 3000 DTV 
  • SA 2200 DTV
  • SA 2010DTV
  • SA 2000 HD
  • SA 1840 DTV
  • PACE551HD
  • PACE501

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

wayner92

I found more info here:  https://www.rogers.com/support/digital-cable/digital-tv-box-retirement

TV box models retiring on April 30, 2024:

• SA HD3250 DTV
  • SA HD3100 DTV
  • SA E940-C
  • SA DTV
  • SA 940 DTV
  • SA 8300HDC PVR
  • SA 8300HD PVR
  • SA 8300 PVR
  • SA 8000HD PVR
  • SA 8000 PVR
  • SA 4290 DTV
  • SA 4250HD DTV
  • SA 3290 DTV
  • SA 3200 DTV
  • SA 3190 DTV
  • SA 3100 DTV
  • SA 3000 DTV 
  • SA 2200 DTV
  • SA 2010DTV
  • SA 2000 HD
  • SA 1840 DTV
  • PACE551HD
  • PACE501

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

They are totally getting rid of legacy cable, I am sorry you have not heard about this sooner. It has been discussed widely on here about the end of its usable lifespan.  Yes you will be required to migrate to the Ignite TV platform to continue to watch TV, otherwise your current TV equipment will eventually stop working altogether after they send you a few more notices of it becoming decommissioned.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

By that date, IgniteTV will have been around for almost 6 years.  I'm surprised that some later boxes like the 9865, 4K and 8642 are not on the list.  I'm guessing Rogers is doing it in phases for some reason instead of simply ending Legacy Digital Cable, as has been discussed here for years. (A little nudge at a time?)

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

They may still have a service contract with their vendor for the later boxes, thus they still have to provide support for the newer ones.  But in reality, customers might have a mix of newer and older boxes anyways so if that's the case, having a faulty older box which is on the list you probably will be offered to be migrated because you can not have both systems servicing your household at the same time.

wayner92

I realize that legacy will be going away, and I started a thread here about this back in October.  https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/How-much-longer-until-legacy-cable-is-discontinued/m-p/5151...

But it just wasn't clear to me when that would happen.  And it now seems that it is about to happen.  I presume that this is because they are doing something like switching from MPEG-2 encoding to MPEG-4 encoding and the older boxes don't have MPEG-4 decoding hardware.

But this is a catalyst for me to decide whether I continue with Rogers or switch to Bell, especially since Bell has more compelling internet offerings.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@wayner92 wrote:  I presume that this is because they are doing something like switching from MPEG-2 encoding to MPEG-4 encoding and the older boxes don't have MPEG-4 decoding hardware.

Not at all. Rogers is switching from Digital Cable to IPTV (Internet Protocol TV), totally different technology similar to Bell Fibe, but on Rogers the recordings are stored in the Cloud.

I suggest you read recent IgniteTV posts and/or the IgniteTV Knowledge Base.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/tkb-p/IgniteTV@tkb

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/bd-p/IgniteTV

wayner92

I know that they are eventually forcing everyone to IPTV, but are they totally turning off legacy cable now?  Some non-Ignite boxes will still be supported, like the SA4642HD as it is not on that list.  Can that box work with Ignite TV? 

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It is not possible to have Digital Cable TV and Ignite Television service both active in the same household. Its one or the other.  This is an entire different Television product that Rogers has licensed from an American company and offering here, it is not compatible with its older cable television, even the software that the employees use to manage Ignite is completely different from the traditional cable TV software. Once your old boxes no longer work, that's it, you will be offered to switch over.

tcedfc
I've been around

Rogers is just trying to avoid this bug with the SA boxes - so just easier to claim they are being "decommissioned":  

'time-warp-could-cause-millions-of-old-powerkey-set-tops-to-go-on-the-blink'

This has nothing to do with "legacy" cable, that's why other boxes, like Cisco Explorer 8642HD DVR, are not on the list.

wayner92

Thanks, I posted about that bug in the TV forum.  That makes sense.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

We just heard about the Scientific Atlantic PowerKEY bug now, but we have known about the decommissioning of Legacy Cable TV set top boxes for a while now, it might be a real problem but if they decommission it by april, then the bug is not the reason why, but it might just be coincidence and they are saving them self a headache by decommissioning early.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just as an FYI, the same is (and has been) happening at the former Shaw cable out west. Looks like they've been doing several boxes a year.  I guess this picks off a few more people each year until eventually no more Legacy Digital Cable. See link below:

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/tv-articles/about-legacy-tv-box-upgrade-program/ta-p/9242

Topic Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 in conversation