Rogers customers are losing the ability to charge upgrades to their bill

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Rogers customers are losing the ability to charge upgrades to their bill

Hey everyone!

Mobilesyrup just posted this talking about Rogers no longer will let you pay the device price when. Upgrading over the bill. Your flextab aka upgrade fee and also the $20 connection fee will be added to the next Invoice you. Just not the device price.

Here is more.

"Customers will still see a $20 connection fee and any early hardware upgrade fee or FlexTab balance on their bill, but the subsidized amount for the new phone — for example, $199 down on a two-year contract for an iPhone 7 — must be paid at the time of the purchase, whether online, over the phone or in-store.

Employees are encouraged in the document to position the change as a simplification and that customers sometimes “think they need the latest and greatest phone, but when you ask a few more questions about how they plan to use it… A $1200 phone seems unnecessary.”

According to the document, this change will likely go into effect mid-next week."

I want everyone's thought on this..I find it good for some but will be a inconvenience for many as we are used to having it billed to us and don't need to bring let's say $200 -$600 with us when upgrading.

So what's everyone's thought on this! Smiley Happy.

***Added Labels***

Re: Rogers customers are losing the ability to charge upgrades to their bill

Hi @Meowmix,

At Rogers, we're always working to provide our customers with a consistent and simplified experience. This process is the same as when you activate a new account. It will provide customers with a simpler billing experience. Customers will no longer have to wait for any in-store specials or credits for 2 or 3 bill cycles as they will be applied immediately.

I also wish to add that at this time only a select locations are participating in this change.

Hope this helps!

RogersZia

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Meowmix  I will do some thinking on this one.  As I don't typically do upgrades on phones, as I always have the money upfront, I have always just picked the device of my choice and pay a full device price.

But I must say, I look at what you just presented from MobileSyrup, and from @RogersZia and I at the moment, I find nothing simple about understanding this.

And, in past, once I dig, I usually find, as you mentioned, that for some it is good, but for some it is not, but at the moment, I can't figure out how it is simple.  I am struggling to wrap my way around this one.  Interested in thoughts of others.

But just a general comment, any time I have heard that Rogers is making things simpler, I find that unless you realy dig in deep and look at how it applies to you under different scenarios, it is often not simpler, and often can lead to a situation where it may potentially not be financially viable, or of benefit to the customer.

I will do some thinking on it, but like I said, I am really struggling to wrap my head around this one.

Bruce

I Plan to Stick Around

Hey look, Rogers once again doing no good to customers and copying Bell and Telus for no reason other to benefit themselves.

The fact we still have to pay money upfront for phones, which should be 100%, subsided on a contract is beyond ridiculous. No phone should cost $399 on a 2-year contract. When I lived in Australia, I did not pay a single cent upfront or on my first bill. I just paid the monthly bill price and got the phone.

Even companies in the US do not charge step upfront fees like Rogers. T-Mobile the most expensive one is an iPhone at $120.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @RogersZia

But this isn't a " customers with a consistent and simplified experience". This is following what Telus has done ( what your new CEO worked for) and making it harder for your customers to get a new phone. Some customers like to upgrade and pay the bill within two billing cycles and they know they get charged the late fee. It's easier for them to grab the cash to pay for it.

Making a customer pay $500-$600 for a high end device upfront is nonsense and more inconvenience to the customer. This is making more customers not wanting to stay with Rogers.

Business wise it makes sense but customers wise it does not. I thought customers experience is supposed to be the Rogers motto and not business wise.

It makes no sense that we now have to pay from $200-$600 upfront for a phone. Remember maybe some don't usually upgrade every year like we techy do but some don't have that money right away. I see this move a bad move on Rogers end which will make many leave.

No information has been posted anywhere about this other then Mobilesyrup. Sad to see Rogers doing what Telus is doing. I though Rogers is a company that stands out, not follows everyone else.

Can u list for which locations are doing this please? Thank you Smiley Happy.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @HEHEHEHEH

Well Rogers motto was to be first at everything but they are copying what others are doing.

This is a unfriendly experience for existing customers as we barely get anything anyways. Bew customers get more bonuses then existing ones do and we have seen this time after time.

Doing this will cause not only many customers to be upset. But many will leave as they see no point to this. I don't, I see it more of them copying Telus then being Original and doing something else.

Maybe they are doing it because of fraud? Maybe they are doing it for " better business"? The fraud part I can understand but that's why we have PIN or passwords on the account.

Business wise? I see this as them only wanting to do it but for the customer experience it's bad. I guess we shall see how this takes place when the new LG G6 / Samsung S8 and iPhone come out later this year. I can tell you now that many won't be happy nor upgraded Rogers will be able wondering why...
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @BS

It doesn't make sense. They claim this is for the customers but no where do I find this beneficial for the customers. No customers has $500 in their pocket to get a new phone when upgrading on their existing line. The line " this process is the same as new activation " just does not cut it. We are not new customers. We are customers with 10+ years with Rogers and we barely get anything like the new customer do when they open a account. So in reality this is not good for anyone just benefits Rogers that's all.

I don't support this unless there is a huge reason behind this as it does not make any sense. This is just me though.

Remember the device pricing now is around $300-$600 for a high end device. So how can Rogers explain that to its customers? Trade ins can yes help out but not as much. U cant do tradeins for the iPhone. Only specific Android devices u can. So anyone buying a iPhone will be stuck paying so much.

I really do not get this at all.
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Meowmix  I here your frustration and confusion here.  It is forcing you into a change in your buying and paying models, so this change is not necessarily of benefit to you.

I still hear standard marketing, make you feel good, we are listening, we are always striving to ... and sometimes we have to change for these reasons....  lots of feel good phrases, that attempt to lead us to not think too hard, that their company is so good for us, getting us look at the benefits and deals you get - when no details are provided in the short tv like advertising explanations.

Glad MobileSyrup got the original memo - would we be having this discussion, or would it just have been another drop on us surprise change leading to lots of anger and frustration.

But I do see that the special offers have expanded greatly, and are providing a broader range of offers to different types of users (1 phone person, 1 on new plan, 1 on old plan, offers for full out higher end phones with discounts on chosen phones, put all 4 on new plans for 55.00 per month and get 4 smart plan phones for free , which means, lower end phone),  Lots of interesting deals, and lots of thinking to wrap ones head around them, but the basic underlying marketing goal here, that I see is to get us all on new two year contracts, and to upgrade our plans, with the offer of lower priced phones.  If I want to get a new phone, may be a good deal, but although they show the phones for no tab as really high, you can get many of these at Staples for lower prices, unlocked and refurbished, with warrenties.  The real comparison in prices is not the no tab price, but the impact of the different plans, and phone prices and your committments in the long term is best evaluated by looking at which plan is required to get the deal of the three 2 year share everything plans.

Confusing, definitely, simpler, not really, although if they have less to choose from on their end, maybe less errors in orders and clicking the wrong button, of miscommunication of implications of the offer will occur.

Hang in there Meowmix, you will figure out a way to deal with this change.

Bruce

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @RogersZia

You said "I also wish to add that at this time only a select locations are participating in this change."

But as you can see On Rogers Facebook page and one or your Rogers reps said "ALL" locations. 

What's the actual word here? More clarity is needed. 

" Upgrading via call centre will remain status quo and it will be charged on your invoice as normal. We're only streamlining retail. Previously some third party retail stores were invoicing and others were charging upfront. Now all stores will be charging upfront. -". 

Also this shows that you can still upgrade over the phone without being able charged immediately and it will be charged on ur invoice.

Thanks!