Rogers buy-back PVR/HD box?!?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Rogers buy-back PVR/HD box?!?

@AllyGAs I understand it, the buy-back of customer owned digital PVRs was an incentive to encourage customers to switch to Ignite. Normally Rogers would never buy back customer owned equipment, even if it was purchased from Rogers. Personally, I have 3 PVRs I own. One is a freebie SD PVR given to me by Rogers to subscribe to digital cable in 2009, the second is a refurbished  SA8300HD I bought off Shopping Channel in 2013 and I have another SA8300HD PVR that was given to me by my daughter when they cut the cord. When Ignite was first offered there was no such buy-back incentive and I opted for IPTV from my ISP instead of Rogers because it suited my needs and was more economical.  In your case, if you are on the verge of switching to Ignite, go ahead and explore this incentive to buy your stuff. But good luck if you've already switched.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
warped77
I Plan to Stick Around

So I'm moving to ignite tv, grudgingly, so what do I do with my 3 Nextboxes? Apparently I own them. I heard that you could get a rebate if you brought them to a Rogers store. Is there any truth to that?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Rogers did have a promotion where you could get a one-time bill credit for each eligible customer-owned NextBox STB and PVR that you trade in when you switch to Ignite TV... but that was two years ago and it was subject to expire at any time.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Account-Support/Rogers-buy-back-PVR-HD-box/m-p/447248/highligh...

If this offer is still active, please let the Community know!

warped77
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm going to find out. When I do I'll post it.

bobble
I'm Here A Lot

not anymore
warped77
I Plan to Stick Around

Yup, I'm now the proud owner of 3 useless boxes. Thanks Rogers. What am I supposed to do with them besides throw them in the garbage.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Warped77,

You can be a good Samaritan and do what our family friend did when he moved. He called to remove the serial numbers of his boxes from his account and gave them to someone in need. The person in need happened to be my dad. My dad was really happy he got to replace his defective boxes and the family friend was happy to save the planet by not throw hazardous electronics in the trash.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Pauly wrote:
Warped77,

You can be a good Samaritan and do what our family friend did when he moved. He called to remove the serial numbers of his boxes from his account and gave them to someone in need. The person in need happened to be my dad. My dad was really happy he got to replace his defective boxes and the family friend was happy to save the planet by not throw hazardous electronics in the trash.

If the boxes are owned they can be given or sold to another Rogers customer.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
warped77
I Plan to Stick Around

In that case, if anyone I know can use them, I'll certainly give them to them. Better than throwing them out.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Another option is to sell them for a few $ on Kijiji, however time is running out on that option with the migration to IgniteTV.  Lots for sale and not many people needing them.