Rogers buy-back PVR/HD box?!?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers buy-back PVR/HD box?!?

We discontinued our TV service yesterday and so dropped off the rental PVR we had to the local store. The gentleman noticed that we also owned another PVR and HD box (DCX3510 and 700 respectively). He said SOMETHING about "We'll buy those back from you...if you get TV service again" but now that I think about it that doesn't make sense. He also said Atlantic Canada is moving to a "new system" in 3 days and the DCX boxes wont be handed out anymore....or something.

I'm totally confused. I was so focused on doing the equipment return I didn't pay close enough attention.

Can anyone shed light on what he was trying to tell me?

**Labels Added**

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers buy-back PVR/HD box?!?

Yeah that doesnt really make sense.
I guess atlantic might be different than Ontario, etc (as it used different equipment)... but I really dont see it being that different.

My understanding, rogers has NEVER done buybacks on boxes.

I think they are getting the IGNITE stuff out there now?
(and then hopefully.. its then the same across the board! same hardware and not different like right now)
All new users likley then will be signed up on this service.

That doesnt mean that those boxes are completely useless.
My guess is that they will keep going on the regular cable service TV for a good 5-10 years min.  
You could sell them privately to someone with the service still.

Hi @BFlow!

Gosh, we are certainly disappointed to hear you've decided to cancel your TV services with us. 🙁 Any particular reason for this? We love getting any feedback that will help us improve as a business!

As for the store agent mentioning the buyback of your cable TV boxes, I do believe he was referring to our on-going promotion for customers who are moving to our Ignite TV services who have the ability to trade in their owned NextBoxes for a Credit. Here is some more detailed information on how it works for those who may be interested:

Customers residing in our cable footprint who activate Ignite TV services with us, will receive a $25 bill credit for each eligible NextBox 2.0 or 4K they trade-in and will receive a $50 bill credit for each eligible NextBox 2.0, 3.0 or 4K PVR they trade-in. The credit is tax inclusive. Customers can trade in as many eligible boxes as they want. This offer was made available on October 2, 2018, and may expire at any time. 

Please note the following points to mention:

• The Ignite TV installation must be completed before you can trade-in an eligible box. After the installation, an Ignite TV Concierge agent will contact you to review your order and discuss your options.
  • You will be issued an electronic UPS waybill by email to print and use in the return of your box. One waybill per box/package. **Technicians cannot return the boxes on behalf of the customer**
  • Only boxes that are listed in your account history within the last 6 months are eligible for the trade-in credit.
  • After the equipment has been processed in our database, it can take up to 2 billing cycles for the credits to be applied to the new Ignite TV account.

I hope this information is useful! 😁

RogersLaura

I'm a Senior Advisor

@BFlowMaybe he meant they would buy the boxes back, then rent them to you with coverage?

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

As for the store agent mentioning the buyback of your cable TV boxes, I do believe he was referring to our on-going promotion for customers who are moving to our Ignite TV services who have the ability to trade in their owned NextBoxes for a Credit.

That I believe explains perfectly what he was mentioning to us. Thank you.

As to your question about us cancelling, while it may be hard to believe, we simply do not watch TV any more. 🙂

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its true, I also cancelled my conventional Television service over a year ago, My family is quite busy with our careers, my wife and I work long shifts, when we are not working, we are taking care of our two small children. when that is all said and done there is no time left in the day to enjoy television.

I do have a Television at my office where I work and its on the news so I do get my share of news fix, we also sometimes put sports on when its a majour event like Rogers AT&T Cup or the NBA Finals or Champions League. and same goes for my wifes work she has TV's at her work place so she will catch the local news and weather report in the background when shes working away. but ya not everyone needs television.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

another 2 cents, when a company offers to buy back equipment from you, it actually might be a good thing for some people. Some people are known to but the boxes outright, these boxes are expensive to buy out right, i think it was like $400 or more, some TV sets cost like $99, so imageine ,a $99 dollar TV set you would still need a $400 dollar or more hd box or hd pvr to watch your shows, that is why some people rent instead of buying, but ya when you buy them, they eventually get obsolete, yes ignite tv is the new de facto standard and the existing digital cable platform will eventually be decommissioned, and when it does, do u want to have a pile of useless cable boxes lying around that you spent top dollars on but cant use? not really.