Rogers Programming

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Rogers Programming

Really getting fatigued with the ever ending repeat selection (months at a time) of movie choices.
Understand that money and contracts over periods of time may be the norm.
However, please hire someone that can review top movies for the last decade, or so, and pick some top hits that you don't have to go over budget on?
I'm sure that there are multitudes that you may choose from. 
Since you can have channel specific choices, like action, romance, humour, etc., please take some action on this.
I'm not an actor, but now think I might qualify for lead positions in "Die Hard" etc. movies. Know the lines inside and out!
The only changes to the Rogers selection seems to be in billing.
Ever increasing, and very little substantive program changes.  Even Discovery Channel is repeating more than ever.
Almost to the point where I do not need the "guide" channel. Probable 90% sure that I would know what may be on at any given time and channel selection.
Could pick up a video cam, make another "Reality TV", no cost, useless program (in my opinion), and make enough money from that, to purchase select new network choices?
Have gotten into the TCM channel. It has the most variety. Not old stuff is my only option, but seems that I may get some variety.
Remember years ago, a channel that played only older selections of various categories, movies, and variety programs. Was that the Barrie channel?
Really can't think of it at the moment, but everyday was a blast from the past, in ALL categories, without the need to play over and over.
Think that may have been a sponsored channel. Was worth the investment.
I would pay a little more, believe it or not, to get mainstream showings, that even years after release, would be a refreshing change.
Just my thoughts?

Steve

*Edited Labels*

I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Rogers Programming

@1steve  Have to agree wholeheartedly on that one.  So many of the stations are repeat after repeat, 3 times in a day, and often through a week, and as mentioned in a few other threads, there is basically next to no classic (older) tv and TCM is our fall back now for classic movies - that really is about it.

Even the specialty channels like history, and other ones, are full of repeat after repeat, leaving mostly only the current series on network broadcasting stations.

For us, this was another reason why we are currently finishing out our move to Digital Antenna in the Toronto area - there are a number of classic tv and movie stations down Buffalo, Erie County area, and we have begun to look at various over the top (Internet) services, including Netflix, Crave, and can't remember what they are now, but we have a few networks that are free.  Many movies and tv shows are now out of copyright and open use, so there are also Internet sites that provide some there too.  TV classics, typically only have a limited set depending upon how much of the old film was stored and was useable.

And the current series are available in Toronto over digital antenna.

The providers of broadcasting like Rogers, Bell, Shaw and others seem to be narrowing down the selection constantly in the constant drive to reduce costs and keep profits coming to shareholders while increasing service fees to the customer - as many have said, less choice and selection for more money.

We seem to be in an odd place when it comes to broadcast media across the board and I do hope that enough of us who are moving to retirement begin to have more choice on older materials - there are more of us, and many of the baby boomers retiring do have money to spare.

Hopefully a wider range of viewing choice will come - but for me, it has narrowed down with each year that has gone by over the last 5 years.

Very legitimate issue you are raising - now let's hope a provider begins to listen.

Bruce

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Here is my 2 cents.

I noticed a lot of folks dislike the "CONTENT" of channels they watch on Rogers Cable and will pick up the phone and complain to Rogers and say "why is the history channel showing bla bla over and over" but what a lot of people dont understand is that rogers does not tell the history channel what to play on their channel. Thats totally up to the history channel and their programming department. I used the history channel as an example. But poeple should pick up the phone or email the network that owns the channel and voice their opinion there instead. But they dont because of many reasons. First they dont know they are allowed to do that, second they dont know how, many networks dont have a customer service or complaints hotline just a switchboard. And #3 its easy to contact rogers so people tend to call them for anything and everything

I'm a Trusted Contributor

@Pauly wrote:
 And #3 its easy to contact rogers so people tend to call them for anything and everything

But ultimately  they are the service provider ...if they are the ones collecting the money for services rendered and product delivered ...how is it not  Rogers  responsibility to pass on comments etc . ??  

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @barndoor

Rogers does not control what those channels show unless its Rogers owned channels. Rogers have no control over if the channel broadcaster shows the same episodes or movies over and over.

I do agree that we do complain to Rogers about it but we should shift that to the channel broadcaster which ones the channel let's say.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

They may not have control but i find it pretty hard to believe they don't have some pretty substantial influence .  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unless it's a Rogers-owned channel, you should be complaining to the broadcaster or content provider, not to Rogers.

It may make you feel better to post here, but it's a waste of energy to do so.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Dont forget. There are other cable iptv and satellite companies besides Rogers cable who carry these channels. Companies such as Bell, Shaw, Cogeco, Telus, East Link and Video Tron and some smaller ones too. Also if I was the owner of the channel I may not want to hear complaints from other broadcasters simple as that. Just because one CAN take a complaint and pass it on does NOT MEAN someone on the other end will care or regognise it. Companies like shaw for example may only recognise complaints from actual paying subscribers. So yes its a great suggestion but does not mean its the proper channel to send the complaint to.

Here is another example. I may have an issue with my next door neighbour and its like me going to my other neighbour to give a complaint he may not care and not bother to pass the measage. If i want my complaint heard. I should go right to the source of the problem aka my neighbour aka the content provider

I'm a Senior Advisor

To clarify a bit about what I was trying to say - I get mixed up when trying to talk about the carrier of video and music media (like Rogers, etc). 

When I spoke of the providers of services, I am talking about the creaters and distributers of that media - example - Bell is a distributer of HBO and TMN, but they will have little influence what HBO may create.

So when I was speaking of Bell, Shaw (now Chorus), etc, I am speaking of them as "media providers".  Bell Media, and Rogers media and all the others.

To change their mix would mean two possibilities - many people on our side who consume our service from a cable or IPTV or satellite carrier or other methods out there, communicate a desire for a particular type of service.

If there are enough who say it, then maybe they will push to the producers and ask them to consider different media.  If they have a market, they may be able to find someone to take it on.

The other way is to contact the providers and let them know our desires for particular services.

The challenge we now have is that most of the media services we consume here in Canada, the producers (networks), are also owned by the carriers, so for me anyway, it becomes very confusing as to who I should be talking to.

Maybe a forum for Rogers media to at least have discussion about Rogers media production.  Now the adding or removing of networks and pricing, and bundling mix largely lies with Rogers Cable.

So people look for somewhere to express concerns, try to get a discussion of changes, and sometimes just to rant.

So the suggestions and clarifications above are good ones

Thanks all.

Bruce

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Of course everyone has the right to ask the networks about their programming and make suggestions and recommendations. But also at the same time many of the networks also have to adhere to the conditions of their licence and often can not deviate from them or risk getting in trouble from the crtc.

Conventional broadcast television is a big beast in its own and takes a lot of studying to figure out how this business model works. A lot of people want it to change but do not want to take the time to study how it works and how to make it change. I understand the frustration but its not always so simple.