Rogers Proactive Upgrade Program

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Rogers Proactive Upgrade Program

Weeks ago, on my doorstep, I found a shrink wrapped assemblage of parts with a sticker saying "Rogers Proactive Modem Upgrade". (There was another sticker with "3/15/18 5:45 PM" and the serial number of the included modem.) An accompanying letter said "Great news! As part of our Rogers Proactive Upgrade Program, we are shipping you this modem to help improve your internet experience. Rest assured, there is absolutely no cost to you for the upgrade. All other aspects of your Rogers service will remain unchanged. Enjoy all the benefits of more powerful Wi-Fi simply by swapping your existing modem with your new one." Further down, it says to "call 1-855-381-7839 to active the new modem."

So, weeks later, I finally got around to swapping the modems and calling, and of the five people I was passed around to, none had heard of any "proactive upgrade program", and one even said that the particular modem wouldn't work with my current service.

So, what was this all about?

(Needless to say, I reinstalled the old modem in order to use this forum. I even had to use my Mac as my Win7 and IE11 machine couldn't handle Roger's Forum -- kept resetting the web page -- even after a reboot.)

***Edited Labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers Proactive Upgrade Program

It might be new enough of a program, that many of the people on the phone were not aware (wouldnt be the first time i have seen that happen).

I guess thats a question..

What IS your current modem? and what is the one that was in the box?

I Plan to Stick Around

this sounds like a scam always call rogers if you receive anything like this because the modem that you got on your doorstep could have been hacked and could be stealing your info. I have never heard of the"Rogers Proactive Modem Upgrade". I would not trust a modem or anything that I did not order showing up at my doorstep

Hello, 

@stepy2015 - I can certainly appreciate your concern, we can't be too careful these days. However, I can confirm the Rogers Proactive Upgrade Program, we are shipping the DOCSIS 3.0 gateway modems (Rocket modems) to the customers who are using the early version of DOCSIS 3.0 gateway modems to help improve the Internet/WiFi experience.

@EricSev - Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! I wouldn't be happy if I were to receive such a poor service. We can definitely turn around your experience by provisioning your new modem. Please send us a private message at @CommunityHelps. Our private messaging system is explained in this blog.

Cheers,

The CommunityHelps Team,

RogersMoin

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RogersMoin

Do you know if there is a link to anything on the website to direct people to if they ask?
(sort of as proof as easy to pass onto people)

I was expecting that this would be for changing the early D3 (the SMC, Cisco, etc.. the 4 and 8 channel ones).
I completely forgot that people might be on D2's still!!
While i understand that people are sometimes very light users and dont want to change much stuff, etc.. moving away from the D2s will solve a lot of the 'issues' that people complain about in the past.  (the congestion when it gets busy)
(You would be surprised the number of people who moved away from rogers before to say bell, etc years ago.. and they will still tell others that Congestion is an issue, etc.   Not to say that rogers doesnt sometimes have other issues, etc.. but congestion shouldnt be an issue with the right hardware, which is what it appears that rogers is trying to do here now.)

I wonder if this means there might be a D2 cuttoff sometime in the future?

Hello, @Gdkitty

I appreciate your query, at the moment, the upgrade program is not listed on the website. I'll pass on the feedback for the review. 

Your expectation regarding the upgrade is correct, the early DOCSIS 3.0 modems are being replaced with the Rocket modems and I've corrected my previous post. 

I agree with your observation the right hardware can help ease up the congestion and enhance the WiFi experience compared to older models like Hitron CGN2 and Cisco DPC3825 etc. 

Thank you for your continuous contributions to the Community!

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

To answer everyone: I attempted this swap WEEKS after delivery. I cannot have been the first to do this. I too thought that it was a scam, so I swapped the older modem back before I turned on my laptop. My router is by Apple so unlikely to be attacked by a virus. The blog for @CommunityHelps refers to a private message mailbox which I cannot see anywhere on my screen no matter which screen I surf. This "D3" modem means nothing to us as our Youtube and NetFlix speeds are just fine, there is never congestion, and we use only about 1% of our allotted monthly traffic limit. I've used Rogers for decades, always recommended it to others, but this experience stunk (NetBox too). I need someone from Rogers to fix this.

Hello, @EricSev

Thank you for being our valued customer for decades and recommending Rogers to others, we certainly appreciate your loyalty. 

Please reply back to the private message just sent so that we can look into provisioning the new modem. You can follow the link to access your Inbox.

Regards,

RogersMoin

I've Been Here Awhile

Everyone, thank you for your help, especially RogersMoin who really came through. Still can't believe that Rogers on the phone hadn't a clue about this. I probably should have simply asked for the modem to be activated rather than refer to the "Proactive Modem Upgrade" program. Still, how do I confirm that this program is legitimate if no one on the phone has heard about it?

So, have my Internet speed and reliability improved? Beats me. It was fine before, and it's still fine. This was just a change to newer hardware.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

I'm amazed that Rogers would just drop a modem at a door with no prior notice to the consumer to expect or watch for the delivery.