Rogers Phone Numbers being used in Spoofing (telemarketing)

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Rogers Phone Numbers being used in Spoofing (telemarketing)

I had my landline number before Rogers ever did business in my area and I've never had such calls on my Rogers cellphone, mainly because I don't have it turned on very often (touch wood). The spoofing is done by the telemarketer to trick you into thinking it's someone close by, like a neighbour.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I also receive calls from what appears to be spoofed cids starting with my same prefix.

I usually move them to spam or block them in my android call blocking app. Always wondered if, in return, somebody else blocks my number because of spoofing, etc.

Last year I got the confirmation : while on phone with evga for an issue with an order, they asked for a number where to call me, refused to take my cell cause was showing as blocked in their database.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hello,

I am curious to know how legit 1-888-764-3771 is. This is apparently the 1-888 Rogers 1 number but I have heard a lot of people complaining about phishing scams coming from this number, someone claims to be from Roger's and threatens to disconnect services because their computer has a virus, or trying to get information out of people that they should already have if they are indeed a Roger's Rep. This number calls my phone, doesn't leave a message. Kinda seems strange after reading all the reports online.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That is the LEGIT rogers number for calling in for support, etc.. when you call it yourself.

The problem is, as what is mentioned in this thread.. its very easy for others to SPOOF the caller ID.  They can FAKE that it is the number that they are calling FROM.. even though they are not.

So it can appear that they are calling from that number.. but they are not.

If you get a call from it, and dont trust it... trust your gut.. more than likely fake.

When in doubt, call back in YOURSELF to inquire.

Highlighted
I'm New Here

Rogers service used for fraud

Hi,
I got a partial voicemail from "Officer Greg Williams" saying that I or my lawyer should call him back at 647-297-0890, or "a situation will unfold on me."
Well I looked it up...
http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-647-247-0890
It's a known scam.

So I also did a reverse lookup on the number.
http://canada411.yellowpages.ca/fs/1-647-297-0890?what=647-297-0890
Company: Rogers Communications Partnership (Wireless)
Usage: Cell Number
Area code: 647

So, I don't think Rogers should be obligated, nor willing, to uphold a services contract with a known scam artist, who is using Rogers services as a tool to commit fraud.
I'm looking around the "contact us" sections and don't really see an option that fits this situation.
Ideas?

Highlighted

Hi @Malignor,

Welcome to the Community Forums! 

I'm glad you found us here to share your experience.  I'm also happy you were able to spot a scam/telemarketing call.  I wish that more people were as cautious as you.  Unfortunately, as you might have read previously in this thread, it's an issue that is proving to be hard to eliminate, as scammers are getting more and more tech savvy to skirt the rules.  If you ever get a call and have a bad feeling, the best thing to do is hang up the phone. 

The CRTC has posted more information regarding telemarketing and call spoofing here, including more ways to protect yourself from these types of calls. 

Kind regards,

RogersShaun

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I got my bill this month.

There were over 70 texts from Canada to the US.

I may have texted twice.

I believe someone is using my phone number to text people.

I received a phony text supposedly from Rogers about a refund through e-transfer.

I made the mistake of responding to it.

What do I do?

Highlighted

Hello @dprice_2000,

Welcome to the Community!

It is extremely important to be vigilant about sharing personal or financial information online, especially with unknown links or numbers. We'd have a better idea of what may have caused the charges once we take a look into your account. 

Since the Community is a public platform, please reach out to us via PM @CommunityHelps so we can take a look into this for you. You can read more about our PM system here.

RogersZia