Rogers Phone Numbers being used in Spoofing (telemarketing)

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Rogers Phone Numbers being used in Spoofing (telemarketing)

Okay, I just now saw my own number calling me on my landline. Clearly, I wasn't calling myself, so I just cancelled it. Not a very smart telemarketer, but maybe it was just random.

There used to be a way to call your own number just to see if it was working or to use your phones as an intercom.  Now my cordless phones have an intercom function.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Certainly seems surprising that the  companies can tell you which tower your signal bounced  off but they can't shut this down if they want to . Makes perfect sense Old Yeller, there is money in it for the companies or customer service would take precedence. 

That brings up the question of ....is there really money in it for the company, or have the scammers figured out how to  give that illusion and are really paying nothing  ?

Intriguing situation to be sure.  

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Cellular is one thing... there is data which is transmitted along more with the call, for wich tower etc..
Land line, is a completely different story.. that same data is not transmitted with the call... CID is about the only thing (which is the problem here that it can be spoofed).

VOIP adds a whole other layer here as well... with many VOIP solutions, you can drop yourself in the receiving persons country, even while on the other side of the world. (ontop of the CID spoofing)

Voip you PROBABLY could trace it partially back at least.. at least to the voip provider where the transition came from...

BUT.. you still run into the problems.. that even at that point.. that most of them are done out of country.. that its next to impossible to take legal actions.

I am not saying that nothing should be done... but knowing generally how the technology works...
I know that its MUCH easier said than done.
About the ONLY thing that could be done, is remove the ability for adding in a MASKED CID.. but that would take away from LEGIT companies which use it (my work does), and would have to be WORLD WIDE inforced, etc. 😞

Highlighted
I've Been Around

For what it's worth, David, I don't answer any calls from numbers that are unfamiliar. If it's important, they'll leave a voice mail or call back. This spoofing thing is quite annoying as they are now using numbers that are close to the recipients number which is a clear sign that they are being deceptive. So I don't answer.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

I've been getting a lot of calls recently, which are using the first 6 digits of my phone number. I have never answered any of them. I always block them with Rogers One Number.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Sitting here watching tv, home phone rings and says its me bui my phone is in front of me doing nothing. Any ideas ?

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Quite common now. I've seen it happen to me. Usually telemarketers spoof your area code and exchange to make you think it's someone local calling. I think the ones who spoof your exact phone number haven't fully figured out the app. It's a dead give-away.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Regular Rogers' customers numbers being used for spammy calls?

Has anyone experienced this? You get a spammy call about Air Canada giving you a free ticket and then when you call the number back the person on the other end claims that they didn't phone you. The number that usually calls you has the same area code and 3 digits as your number. I started asking people that call my number or I call their number who they are with and it's always Rogers.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@amira that's a common telemarketer trick now to entice you to pick up the call, thinking it's a neighbour.  I've even had them spoofing my own number. If you use an answering machine or voicemail, you'll notice these telemarketer robots hang up without attempting to leave a message.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

If your phone # was originally assigned by Rogers (i.e. not ported in), then chances are anyone else that has the same area code and first 3 digits will also be with Rogers as Rogers likely controls most if not all numbers that belong to that 3 digit exchange.  

That's not an indication that it's Rogers customers that are being targetted, just that when the fake caller ID # that is generated to call your number includes those same first 3 digits after the area code, the odds are high that the fake number will also be a Rogers customer.