cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Phone Numbers being used in Spoofing (telemarketing)

kyleheney
I've been here awhile

Hi,

Over the past couple months, I've been receiving calls that appear to be coming from a local Rogers cell phone number. The difference, though, is that the numbers appear in my call display as oddly spaced phone numbers (for example, instead of 613-123-4567, the number appears as 61-312-34567. The problem is that the numbers that are appearing are ACTUAL Rogers cell phone numbers when you delete the spaces. If you try to call back the number that calls, you're directed to the actual cell phone number that is in the call display because the phone deletes the spaces when completing the call.

This has also happened with my own number - - someone has "called me back" asking why I'm calling them. My call log is blank and I don't know this person. The same thing has happened to my wife - - someone called her this morning saying that she received a call from my wife's number 9 times this morning... my wife's call log is blank and she doesn't know this person.

I don't know what, if anything, can be done, but it seems like a telemarketer is using Rogers cell phone numbers in a spoof attack so that their number remains hidden (and the call display doesn't recognized the spaced out number, even though it belongs to an actual user when you removed the spaces).

I'm going to try to *69 the number next time I receive the call. When the calls are actually picked up, it is a recorded message on the other line from a hotel chain or a cruise line, etc. The usual.

***edited labels***

37 REPLIES 37

Re: Rogers Phone Numbers being used in Spoofing (telemarketing)

barndoor
I'm a trusted contributor

Certainly seems surprising that the  companies can tell you which tower your signal bounced  off but they can't shut this down if they want to . Makes perfect sense Old Yeller, there is money in it for the companies or customer service would take precedence. 

That brings up the question of ....is there really money in it for the company, or have the scammers figured out how to  give that illusion and are really paying nothing  ?

Intriguing situation to be sure.  

Cellular is one thing... there is data which is transmitted along more with the call, for wich tower etc..
Land line, is a completely different story.. that same data is not transmitted with the call... CID is about the only thing (which is the problem here that it can be spoofed).

VOIP adds a whole other layer here as well... with many VOIP solutions, you can drop yourself in the receiving persons country, even while on the other side of the world. (ontop of the CID spoofing)

Voip you PROBABLY could trace it partially back at least.. at least to the voip provider where the transition came from...

BUT.. you still run into the problems.. that even at that point.. that most of them are done out of country.. that its next to impossible to take legal actions.

I am not saying that nothing should be done... but knowing generally how the technology works...
I know that its MUCH easier said than done.
About the ONLY thing that could be done, is remove the ability for adding in a MASKED CID.. but that would take away from LEGIT companies which use it (my work does), and would have to be WORLD WIDE inforced, etc. 😞

For what it's worth, David, I don't answer any calls from numbers that are unfamiliar. If it's important, they'll leave a voice mail or call back. This spoofing thing is quite annoying as they are now using numbers that are close to the recipients number which is a clear sign that they are being deceptive. So I don't answer.

I've been getting a lot of calls recently, which are using the first 6 digits of my phone number. I have never answered any of them. I always block them with Rogers One Number.

carlb
I plan to stick around

Sitting here watching tv, home phone rings and says its me bui my phone is in front of me doing nothing. Any ideas ?

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

Quite common now. I've seen it happen to me. Usually telemarketers spoof your area code and exchange to make you think it's someone local calling. I think the ones who spoof your exact phone number haven't fully figured out the app. It's a dead give-away.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

amira
I've been around

Regular Rogers' customers numbers being used for spammy calls?

Has anyone experienced this? You get a spammy call about Air Canada giving you a free ticket and then when you call the number back the person on the other end claims that they didn't phone you. The number that usually calls you has the same area code and 3 digits as your number. I started asking people that call my number or I call their number who they are with and it's always Rogers.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@amira that's a common telemarketer trick now to entice you to pick up the call, thinking it's a neighbour.  I've even had them spoofing my own number. If you use an answering machine or voicemail, you'll notice these telemarketer robots hang up without attempting to leave a message.

jnardari
I plan to stick around

If your phone # was originally assigned by Rogers (i.e. not ported in), then chances are anyone else that has the same area code and first 3 digits will also be with Rogers as Rogers likely controls most if not all numbers that belong to that 3 digit exchange.  

That's not an indication that it's Rogers customers that are being targetted, just that when the fake caller ID # that is generated to call your number includes those same first 3 digits after the area code, the odds are high that the fake number will also be a Rogers customer.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

I had my landline number before Rogers ever did business in my area and I've never had such calls on my Rogers cellphone, mainly because I don't have it turned on very often (touch wood). The spoofing is done by the telemarketer to trick you into thinking it's someone close by, like a neighbour.

johndop
I plan to stick around
I also receive calls from what appears to be spoofed cids starting with my same prefix.

I usually move them to spam or block them in my android call blocking app. Always wondered if, in return, somebody else blocks my number because of spoofing, etc.

Last year I got the confirmation : while on phone with evga for an issue with an order, they asked for a number where to call me, refused to take my cell cause was showing as blocked in their database.

zeroz3hereo
I plan to stick around
Hello,

I am curious to know how legit 1-888-764-3771 is. This is apparently the 1-888 Rogers 1 number but I have heard a lot of people complaining about phishing scams coming from this number, someone claims to be from Roger's and threatens to disconnect services because their computer has a virus, or trying to get information out of people that they should already have if they are indeed a Roger's Rep. This number calls my phone, doesn't leave a message. Kinda seems strange after reading all the reports online.

That is the LEGIT rogers number for calling in for support, etc.. when you call it yourself.

The problem is, as what is mentioned in this thread.. its very easy for others to SPOOF the caller ID.  They can FAKE that it is the number that they are calling FROM.. even though they are not.

So it can appear that they are calling from that number.. but they are not.

If you get a call from it, and dont trust it... trust your gut.. more than likely fake.

When in doubt, call back in YOURSELF to inquire.

Rogers service used for fraud

Hi,
I got a partial voicemail from "Officer Greg Williams" saying that I or my lawyer should call him back at 647-297-0890, or "a situation will unfold on me."
Well I looked it up...
http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-647-247-0890
It's a known scam.

So I also did a reverse lookup on the number.
http://canada411.yellowpages.ca/fs/1-647-297-0890?what=647-297-0890
Company: Rogers Communications Partnership (Wireless)
Usage: Cell Number
Area code: 647

So, I don't think Rogers should be obligated, nor willing, to uphold a services contract with a known scam artist, who is using Rogers services as a tool to commit fraud.
I'm looking around the "contact us" sections and don't really see an option that fits this situation.
Ideas?

Hi @Malignor,

Welcome to the Community Forums! 

I'm glad you found us here to share your experience.  I'm also happy you were able to spot a scam/telemarketing call.  I wish that more people were as cautious as you.  Unfortunately, as you might have read previously in this thread, it's an issue that is proving to be hard to eliminate, as scammers are getting more and more tech savvy to skirt the rules.  If you ever get a call and have a bad feeling, the best thing to do is hang up the phone. 

The CRTC has posted more information regarding telemarketing and call spoofing here, including more ways to protect yourself from these types of calls. 

Kind regards,

RogersShaun

I got my bill this month.

There were over 70 texts from Canada to the US.

I may have texted twice.

I believe someone is using my phone number to text people.

I received a phony text supposedly from Rogers about a refund through e-transfer.

I made the mistake of responding to it.

What do I do?

Hello @dprice_2000,

Welcome to the Community!

It is extremely important to be vigilant about sharing personal or financial information online, especially with unknown links or numbers. We'd have a better idea of what may have caused the charges once we take a look into your account. 

Since the Community is a public platform, please reach out to us via PM @CommunityHelps so we can take a look into this for you. You can read more about our PM system here.

RogersZia

Topic Stats