Rogers Bundles

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers Bundles

I know that as of March 1st all cable providers must offer a $25 'skinny basic' package. When will we be seeing exactly what channels Rogers will put in this package and when will we be told what other packages and/or individual channels will be offered and for how much?

I understand the trial run in London was a big hit with viewers.

Thanks,

***Edited Labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers Bundles

The CRTC announced that by March 2016, all television providers in Canada must provide subscribers with a basic package of channels costing no more than $25, with the option to add more channels on an a la carte basis.   Here's the Link

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Pauly

The OP knows that... What the OP is asking in their post is if Rogers has released any pricing for this aka other packages including channels them selfs.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I think we might have to wait until march as NO provider has published their $25 skinny basic packages as of yet.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Pauly

Exactly. The cable providers will announce pricing and all the bundles which March rolls around or even late February.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

One of the legal IPTV providers in canada has released a skinny setup already.. but its the only one i have seen.
(i just forget right now off the top of my head what company)

They were listing around $22-23 for the basic, they had some group packages for addons, and most other channels were around 2-4 each (other than some major specialty ones).

I am HOPING myself, to see around similar pricing from rogers.. the $22-25 for base, and the same pricing for channels.

But likely rogers wont be announcing it, till like the week before, if not the day that it goes live Smiley Sad

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I can already see how a $25 package with a PVR and HD Box can easily ballon to 3 times the price. See below:

NOTE: This is just an example, these prices may not be exact, I will re-calculate once the actual prices are announced.

Rogers New Skinny Basic:  $25

TMN - The movie Network: $20

Slice - a la cart: $2.50

HD PVR Rental: $24.95

HD Box Rental: $12.95

Subtotal: $85.40

HST: $11.10 (Ontario)

Total: $96.50

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well you cant really compare the PVR rental, etc in there.. as those would be there as well with current cable offerings.

So you really need to compare it to like

Basic - $25
Channel 1 - $4

Channel 2 - $2.50

etc.

+tax

Vs

VIP - $75

+tax

And again, we dont know anything until the packages/pricing is released.
Some bundle type things may still be available... instead of $5 each for each movie network channel (so all of them, hbo, etc being 45 sperately), there may be a $25 together option still as well.

There may be SOME group discounts?
Select channels may be $3 each... so 5 for $15?
But if you get 5 out of that group, its $10 instead sort of thing.

Really, its all just speculation until its released.

Myself, i will look at it.
I find myself 1/2 the time using netflix and other things.  But there is still a fair bit of content via the TV which is not readily available via other means.
Will check which channels i would still need via TV.. and compare side to side as to what my best value is.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I hear your point but when people see the $25 package, they don't think about the amount of receivers they have to "rent" to get the cable, they never tell you this in advertisements, but the reality is once you add up all the receiver rental fees, etc, the price baloons greatly.

A good friend of mine got a quote for cable, but when they told him how much each hd box is to rent, he re-calculated his quote and it was so much higher than what they initially offered, he got shocked he cancelled his order and went with antenna.

what im saying is though the price may not be a true representation, its funny how a hdpvr box rental cost almost as much as what the base skinny package costs. Rogers will definately attract a lot of NEW customers with this and keep existing ones, its the new ones that will see the sticker shock once they add the receivers into the price mix

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It all depends on which way you are comming at getting the service i guess.

Person A, who does not have ANTYTHING right now?

Then yes, as you add the box pricing ontop, etc.. it adds up.

assuming, that with a NEW person, there are often promos for free box rentals at least for a period, etc.

Unfortunately, just about ANY 'tv' service... iptv, sat, cable, etc.. there will always be a box fee of some form usually, weither buy or rent, ontop of the core service.

But anyone comming from IN the loop already.. already have rogers, bell, etc.. will likely be USED to that as part of the fees.

It will be the FIRST TIMERS.. people (students, people moving out of home for the first time, etc) who have to pay it on their own, who may be a little more blind sided.

(though that is the generation, which is more 'cord cutters' stright off the bat anyways usually.. so yeah, makes it even harder to attract them.)

(I just wish.. antenna was a more viable choice for EVERYONE.  Live in the GTA or anywhere around the lake? Yeah you are pretty good.   Live up where I do? (oposite side of the lake from barrie)... like 8 channels.. most of them garbage Smiley Tongue)