Roam Like Home triggers

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Roam Like Home triggers

Hi @lewisali,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Typically a welcome notification is sent out as soon as the device is connected to the foreign network. If you only wish to use your device over wifi I would recommend you to keep your phone on airplane mode. This would avoid any accidental Roam Like Home or roaming charges as you've mentioned. 

Just as an FYI, RLH charges trigger once every 24 hours, and only when you make or receive a phone call, send an SMS/MMS, or use data i.e. browse, maps or an application.

RogersZia

I've Been Here Awhile

If I turn data roaming off, and I receive a text message, will I still be charged $5 for that day?

I have internet while in the US. what I want is to only use use roam like home if i need to make a call, or if an incoming call is one that I want to answer.  short of keeping the phone off, is there a way to handle this?

I'm a Senior Advisor

If your data is off, and you don't make text messages - you are not charged for received texts, it doesn't trigger roam like home.  If you turn your data on, it triggers it and you use your home bucket of data, for 24 hours, if you call,  same thing, you trigger and pay the 5.00 and use your home bucket of voice, and if you send texts, the same thing applies.

There are others on here who have answered this more thoroughly in other threads, who could help you, and it is in the support FAQ's too.

But your basic question -  "If I turn data roaming off, and I receive a text message, will I still be charged $5 for that day? - no you are not charged for incoming texts. (as I understand it)

I have internet while in the US. what I want is to only use use roam like home if i need to make a call, or if an incoming call is one that I want to answer.  short of keeping the phone off, is there a way to handle this?

The trigger of roam like home of 5.00 per day occurs whether you use data, or make a phone call. received or made.

I have never understood fully what happens with an incoming phone call whether it triggers if you don't pick up - but certainly if you answer it will, or decide to check voice mail and I think (not sure) that if your message goes to voice mail, you will trigger it because in effect I think your phone sends it to voice mail.

If someone doesn't give you an answer before you need it before you go, just call in or chat (other ways are available, those are just my preferences) and walk through your questions and understand fully implications of anything you think may happen.

Or you can always go real safe and just turn it off - it is only 5.00 dollars a day for sure and if you don't want data to trigger it, then keep roaming data turned off.

Bruce

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi all - so, first post here.  Just found this forum, and this thread, after chatting online with customer service, and now I'm thoroughly confused.  I just upgraded to a plan that's eligible for Roam like home, and chatted with customer service to see how it worked, because I live very close to the US border, and don't want to accidentally rack up charges I don't want.

Now, previously, as long as I had roaming turned off on my phone, if I went into the US (which I do reasonably often), I wasn't charged a thing unless I:

- made/answered a call

- sent a text

- turned on roaming and did something that used data.

That was fine, and I thought it would be the same for RLH - and the discussion here seems to agree.

However, the customer service agent I was just chatting with stated, repeatedly, that even with roaming turned off on my phone, that as soon as my phone connected to a US provider's tower, even if I didn't make a call, send a text, etc, I would be charged. He stated the *only* way to not be charged was to turn off the phone or put it into airplane mode before crossing the border.

Soooo... which is it?

Thanks!

Dirk

Hi @DirkS,

Welcome to the Community!

I know accidental roaming charges can add up, especially if you're close to the border. You had it right the first time, Roam Like Home charges trigger once every 24 hours, and only when you make or receive a phone call, send an SMS/MMS, or use data i.e. browse, maps or an application.

I would recommend you to keep data roaming off at all times only because you live close to the border.

Have there been previous instances where you've been billed for roaming in US while in Canada?

Hope this clears things up for youSmiley Happy

RogersZia

I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you for the confirmation. I thought what the other rep was telling me was a little unlikely. Of course, I now wonder how many other people he's given the wrong information to...

To answer your question - yes, I've had it happen, but only once or twice over many years. I'm hoping not to see it again. Smiley Happy
I've Been Here Awhile

Is this reply still correct? When I spoke to a Roger's rep they were telling me an *incoming* text to my Roger's phone when my Rogers phone is outside Canada would result in a charge. It *used* to be that an *incoming* text was always no charge no matter where your phone was.

Hello @careh,

Thank you for your post and Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! =)

This reply is still accurate, you have no control over incoming text messages so even while traveling it should not trigger the Roam Like Home charge on your bill. This only applies to Text messages via SMS and not RCS messages from Apps like WhatsApp which rely on Data.

I hope this helps!

RogersTony

I'm a Regular

Hi there

So here's my scenario - i'm travelling to my home country and I have 2 iPhones - an iPhone X which I love and is my main phone, and a second iPhone 6s that houses my SIM card from my home country. When I go there I am going to swap the SIMs and have my Rogers SIM in the 6s and the home SIM in the X, and I do not want to incur charges for Roam Like Home. I know that if I make/receive a call or send an SMS I will be charged the $15 for Roam Like Home for the day, however if I keep data roaming off and do not make any calls or send any texts, will I be charged for any texts that I receive?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Truthfully.. i dont trust the data roaming disable part.

You would be better to put it in AIRPLANE mode.. which shuts off all the antennas.
You can turn wifi back on, if you want to connect it that way.

Topic Stats