Roam Like Home triggers

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rogers Employee ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee

Re: Roam Like Home triggers

Thanks @RogersMoin for updating it ^__^

@ShakTiburon - You are very welcome! Interesting thread, thank you for sharing your expertise with the CommunitySmiley Happy

I'm a Regular

Hi, I have a question about receiving SMS/Calls while abroad... Normally when I travel I use Roam Like Home anyways but when I travel to our home country (Malta) I use a local SIM card so I can communicate easier with family and friends who live there. My question is, if I put my Rogers SIM inside one of my old phones and leave data roaming off, will I be charged for any received texts I get while i'm away? I just want to see who is texting and calling me on my Rogers phone then I can respond via my Maltese phone or WhatsApp etc. Also will I be charged for any phone calls received so long as I let them go to voicemail instead of picking them up? I just don't want to be paying the roam like home $10/day just to receive texts and see who is calling me.

Also I had a representative claim I would not see caller ID on phone calls while I am roaming, however this doesn't make sense and when roaming previously caller ID has been fine. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

Thanks guys!

I Plan to Stick Around

On my last bill I had a one-day Roam Like Home charge ($10, England) for a day in which I had data roaming off, did not make any calls, nor send any texts.  The rep did refund me the charge, but said that the phone must be turned off or SIM removed in order to not be charged.  He said that the phone registering/communicating with any non-Rogers tower would cause the charge to occur, no matter if data roaming is off.  Is this true??  It was never mentioned in this thread that a simple registration with the network is a trigger!

@jackthecompguy, receiving calls and not picking them up, and receiving SMS, will not trigger Roam Like Home, as confirmed in this thread.  Someone else hopefully has the answer to your question about caller ID...

Thanks!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Personally i beleive this less the fault of the carrier, than the PHONE itself, etc.

I have seen the same acocunts on roaming (weither roam like home, or any other type of roaming fees).

I think its often the phone itself.  That even while roaming is OFF on the device..
Like stated, as long as the phone is on, the sim in, it will register on the phone network (for emergency purposes, to be able to make an emergency call, etc.  Technically ANY sim could do this.  A de activated sim, will still connect to a cellular network and be able to make an emergency call)

It seems that sometimes the phone, regarless of the roaming being off.. sill sometimes transmits a LITTLE bit of data, etc.. which can be enough to trigger it 😞

I have seen / heard this happen to others, as well as myself, even before the roam like home existed.

I Plan to Stick Around

This was very helpful clarification re: what triggers the roam like home or not (especially around receiving calls but not answering them).

Somewhat related question on how long-distance charges are calculated when you're roaming like home:

I know the idea about Roam Like Home is that your calls, data and text are like they would be if you're "at home", ie. Canada. My question is, which of these situations would a long-distance charge apply (in addition to the Roam Like Home fee). For all of these example, let's say you're roaming in the US and the calls are answered (ie. you have a conversation). I've indicated Y/N for whether I think You and the Other Party would be charged long distance, but I'm not sure.

- A Canadian number (who's in Canada) calls you: N (You); Y (Them)

- A Canadian number (who's also in the US) calls you: N (You); Y (Them)

- A US number (in the US) calls you: N? (You); Y (Them)

- A US number (in Canada) calls you: N? (You); Y (Them)

- You call a Canadian number (who's in Canada): N (You); N (Them)

- You call a Canadian number (who's in the US): Y (You); Y (Them)

- You call a US number (in the US): N (You); Y (Them)

- You call a US number (in Canada): Y (You); Y (Them)

Anyone know the policy?

I've Been Here Awhile

RoamLikeHome Usage: (TR) = Trigger and (NT) = No Trigger 

(TR) Make Calls

(NT) Receive Calls

Shouldn't this read:

(TR) Make Calls

(NT) Receive but not answer Calls

(TR) AnswerCalls

I've Been Here Awhile

Call Forwarding is set to network and your account profile yes. But it uses Call Forwarding Minutes/AirTime. That is why it is triggered.

I do not understand the above comment about Call Forwarding (by itself) triggering Roam like Home. Is this for the called line or the line to which the calls are forwarded?

The setup:

2 phones, A and B, both travelling, both with Roam like Home activated.

• Phone line A forwards calls to phone line B
  • Phone A answers no calls, makes no calls and sends no texts
  • Phone A has Data Roaming turned off
  • Phone B has Data Roaming turned on
  • Assume the 2,500 minute Call Forwarding limit isn't exceeded

Questions:

• Does phone A ever actually receive any calls?
  • Does Phone A trigger Roam like Home just by being on?
  • Does a phone call to line A trigger Roam like Home for line B even if it isn't answered by Phone B?
  • Does a phone call to line A trigger Roam like Home for line A even if it isn't answered by Phone B?
  • Does a phone call to line B trigger Roam like Home for line B even if it isn't answered by Phone B?
  • What happens if the 2,500 minute limit is exceeded?
  • What about using phone B as a hotspot for phone A while travelling (possibly including using WiFi Calling (to Canada))?
  • Are there any other implications, charges or side effects?

Thanks.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@christophermkim wrote:

This was very helpful clarification re: what triggers the roam like home or not (especially around receiving calls but not answering them).

Somewhat related question on how long-distance charges are calculated when you're roaming like home:

I know the idea about Roam Like Home is that your calls, data and text are like they would be if you're "at home", ie. Canada. My question is, which of these situations would a long-distance charge apply (in addition to the Roam Like Home fee). For all of these example, let's say you're roaming in the US and the calls are answered (ie. you have a conversation). I've indicated Y/N for whether I think You and the Other Party would be charged long distance, but I'm not sure.

- A Canadian number (who's in Canada) calls you: N (You); Y (Them)

- A Canadian number (who's also in the US) calls you: N (You); Y (Them)

- A US number (in the US) calls you: N? (You); Y (Them)

- A US number (in Canada) calls you: N? (You); Y (Them)

- You call a Canadian number (who's in Canada): N (You); N (Them)

- You call a Canadian number (who's in the US): Y (You); Y (Them)

- You call a US number (in the US): N (You); Y (Them)

- You call a US number (in Canada): Y (You); Y (Them)

Anyone know the policy?

I think you are correct on most of these, except I am not sure about the following ones.

You call a Canadian Number (who's in the U.S.) N (you) Y (them) - as it doesn't matter where they are in the world, you have called their phone number which is a Canadian number.

You call a US number (in the US) N (You), for them depends upon when their own plan, and how it charges their calls - you are calling their local phone area.

You call a US number (who is in Canada) N(You) Y (Them)  This is because you are calling a US number, it doesn't matter that they are outside their country or local area.

Correct me if I am in error.

Bruce

I've Been Around

Hi!  I was enrolled in the program a few months ago.  Thought it would be good for an "emergency situation" while overseas but didn't expect to use it much because I'm very careful to have my data roaming turned off and don't make phonecalls while away.  I DO use iMEssage however, and wifi for browsing the internet when in hotels.  Somehow, I guess one of my iMessages must have been sent as SMS and it triggered the daily 10 dollar charge.  I was especially irritated  because I had no idea the charge had been triggered until I received my bill several weeks later.  My question is - has Rogers since developed a way to notify you as soon as you trigger the charge and start your 24 hour period?  If I've cost myself 10 dollars, I'd at least like to make use the phone and get some "value" for the charge!  Thanks in advance 🙂