Roam Like Home triggers

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Re: Roam Like Home triggers

Incoming Calls/Text Messages When Travelling Abroad

Hello there, 

As a Rogers customer, I am trying to gain more information on whether someone would be charged long-distance fees for the following scenarios: 

A) There is an incoming call to your mobile phone while you are outside of your local calling area but either you ignore it (do not answer it) or decline the call.

For example, I live in Toronto, Ontario. Now say I am on vacation in Florida and my mobile phone's data is turned off but I receive an incoming call that I either ignore or decline. Would I still be charged for any long distance fees or for Roam Like Home charges even though I did not accept/answer the call? 

B) The same scenario as above but with text messaging: If I receive a text message to my mobile phone while I am in Florida (for example), but I do not answer it/reply to it, would I still be charged for any long distance fees or Roam Like Home charges?

To my understanding, one would only be charged for long distance fees or Roam Like Home charges for incoming calls if they accept (answer) the call. As with text messaging, they would only be charged for outgoing/sending text messages. 

Also, would the above be the same in any international destination (including inside and outside of North America)? 

When it comes to Data, I understand that ANY data usage when outside of your local calling area/when abroad will incur long distance fees or Roam Like Home charges. I am aware that the safest bet if you want to use any apps that require an internet connection would be to use Wi-Fi. 

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance with these questions! 

Highlighted

Good evening @Gloriabl and welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

You've got it right on all counts 🙂. There are no long distance or roaming charges if you do not make or receive a call or send out any text messages. This applies to calls outside of your local calling area, US and international countries. Text message are nationwide (depending on your plan) so you will not be billed if you're out side of your local calling area but still in Canada. You will be billed for sent text messages when you're outside of Canada. 

And yes, if you do not wish to be billed for roaming it is best to keep the data roaming turned off and rely on WiFi instead. Please reach back out if you have any further questions or concerns. 

Hope this helps 🙂!

RogersZia

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Travel internationally: Rogers still charge one day roaming fee while roaming is turn off

It doesn’t make sense to me. I don’t use Rogers network nor Rogers partner network when I travel. I set roaming off. But Rogers still connects local network when I turn on the mobile. The only way to avoid it is never power on the phone or take out of the SIM card. The carrier from other countries don’t charge it. Why Rogers do? why the mobile from Rogers also provides the roaming switch which is ignored by Rogers?

Highlighted

Hello, @User64043.

Welcome to Rogers Community Forums! 🙂

Thank you for posting your concern in the Community. Hopefully, you have browsed this thread, we have discussed quite in detail as to which action triggers Roam Like Home. You can check the posts 4 and 15, which provide more insight on this subject. 

Along with disabling Data roaming, you can enable Airplane mode while travelling, which disables connectivity for cellular and voice data to avoid charges. Hope this helps. 

Cheers,
RogersMoin

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I am extremely frustrated with Rogers. We flew out for our honeymoon. I kept my phone on and agreed to pay for roam like home. My husband turned off his cellular data and only turned it on when we had access to wifi. The first day we came to Greece I called to ask about travel packages and the rules for usage for Rogers. It was never mentioned to me that my husband had to keep his phone on airplane mode the whole trip so our bill was extremely expensive and they didn’t do anything to help us.

Now we are in the UAE. We touched down in Egypt. I use my phone for 20 minutes and then I get a text saying that they are charging me $100. I immediately called rogers to find out what I could do. The agent on the phone said that it could be taken care of but I had to call back after my bill comes through. So I called back today and the lady said she couldn’t do anything for me and refused to let me talk to anyone in a superior position. I’m going to cancel my plan and other services with Rogers.

I previously spent 7 HOURS once in the phone with their agents. I finally got things sorted and then realized months later they started charging me incorrectly again

I’m displeased with the service.

Highlighted

Hello, @EmilyLackie

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums and congratulations on your first post! 

After reading your post and I can understand how frustrating this entire experience must have been. The last thing you want after a vacation is to come back to find a very expensive phone bill.

In order to look into this for you, we'll need to gather your information and review everything on your file. Please send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can get started.

Not familiar with our private messaging system? Click Here.

RogersTony

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Roam Like Home vs Rogers Loyalty

Does anyone know that you are expected to call Rogers before you go on vacation so you can be advised that unless you pull the SIM from your phone you will be charged the Roam Like Home fee based on your destination? Apparently you can’t avoid it as your phone will always be accessing towers even if you are on wi-fi at a resort and you have shut off cellular data. iPhone iMessage apparently doesn’t use data but cell signal according to the rep I spoke with. Airplane mode is not foolproof either as apparently it could turn itself back on. Am I the only one who knew none of this? They will also tell you the text and email they send you to advise Roam Like Home is included as part of your plan and you can access all your features for the cost of so much a day means you should
know you’re being charged. Unfortunately for me I didn’t understand this as I read it to mean if I used their service (towers usage) then I would be charged. I used the hotel phone service to call home, I texted mainly through iMessage cause I didn’t know it uses cell service and not data (unless it’s pictures) and I only used wi-fi to access data service. If I had known I was going to incur the fee regardless...I would have made use of the service. Now apparently cause I didn’t know I had to call them before I left (they expect you to know this) and I misread their interpretation of the text and email I received before I turned everything off, I am told too bad so sad...you have to eat the charges of $96 additional dollars in fees I incurred cause I knew no better. They apparently don’t give any credit for Roam Like Home fees cause they feel they have done their due diligence. Funny how I thought I was doing my due diligence as well but that means nothing. They were willing to offer me additional services (extra data and tv services of which neither I could use) cause it doesn’t cost them anything. I asked they meet me halfway and provide a credit against my monthly package for half the value if they couldn’t credit the Roam Like Home fees as I stepped up and was willing to accept I made a mistake in misunderstanding pretty much everything and I was told no cause they did nothing wrong...I should know to call them and I should know what their email & text meant. Doesn’t matter that I have been a customer since 1998...unfortunate cause knowing their expectations that my knowledge should be the same as theirs which it will never be as I am a retail customer not a Rogers employee, I and my family of three will have to re-look at who we will work with as our carriers in the near future for our cell, tv and internet services. Not something I wanted to do as I hoped they would work with me to resolve this misunderstanding. The manager I spoke with implied I should know all the things she knew or expected of me as a customer...am I the only one who doesn’t?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While the roam like home, if you only end up using a tiny bit of usage, is a big charge per day. (vs the old way of per mb, but if you used a lot, cost a LOT more)..

HOW its triggered has not changed.

NOTE:  iMessage uses data, and WILL use wifi, if your on it.

The issue has been, since smart phones came out, with roaming.
A simple phone.. incoming texts are free usually, dont answer the call.. avoid roaming.

But iMessage uses data when on cellular.  And even the act of someone else sending a iMessage to you, can trigger data usage. 
But even beyond that, the issue itself then lays within the smartphone itself.  Even if while not doing anything major, it will for many of its apps, go out and do a search to see if there are updates to that particular application to give you a notification.  That act in of itself, has now gone and used data... which is enough to trigger any data usage (in this case, roam like home)

One thing I recommend to people overall (regardless of carrier) is when traveling, to TURN OFF roaming data.  Yes you will have no data period with it off while on cellular there.  But when would only use data when on other means like wifi.

If you do choose to switch carriers, make sure to do all your research first.
As a lot of the bigger carriers at least seem to have similar 'roam like home' type things, and would all trigger the same way.

Highlighted

Hello @Longtimer,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for your post!

I realize $96 is a significant charge, especially if it's unexpected.

Typically a welcome notification is sent out as soon as the device is connected to the foreign network with pertinent info. Roam Like Home charges trigger once every 24 hours, and only when you make or receive a phone call, send an SMS/MMS, or use data i.e. browse, maps or an application.

We definitely do value your long time association with Rogers, please let us know if there's anything we can do to turn this experience around for you :).

RogersZia

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Hi and thanks for your help.

My plan is to use the dual SIM in an upcoming trip to NZ and of course, don't want to trigger the Roam Like Home unless absolutely necessary.  I will purchase a SIM card in NZ and turn off data on my Rogers line.  However, I do want to monitor calls (and not answer).

My voice mails go directly to my phone if I don't answer.  They are transcribed but also there is an audio.  Does this trigger the Roam Like Home?

Thanks

Danny