Roam Like Home triggers

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: Roam Like Home triggers

Incoming Calls/Text Messages When Travelling Abroad

Hello there, 

As a Rogers customer, I am trying to gain more information on whether someone would be charged long-distance fees for the following scenarios: 

A) There is an incoming call to your mobile phone while you are outside of your local calling area but either you ignore it (do not answer it) or decline the call.

For example, I live in Toronto, Ontario. Now say I am on vacation in Florida and my mobile phone's data is turned off but I receive an incoming call that I either ignore or decline. Would I still be charged for any long distance fees or for Roam Like Home charges even though I did not accept/answer the call? 

B) The same scenario as above but with text messaging: If I receive a text message to my mobile phone while I am in Florida (for example), but I do not answer it/reply to it, would I still be charged for any long distance fees or Roam Like Home charges?

To my understanding, one would only be charged for long distance fees or Roam Like Home charges for incoming calls if they accept (answer) the call. As with text messaging, they would only be charged for outgoing/sending text messages. 

Also, would the above be the same in any international destination (including inside and outside of North America)? 

When it comes to Data, I understand that ANY data usage when outside of your local calling area/when abroad will incur long distance fees or Roam Like Home charges. I am aware that the safest bet if you want to use any apps that require an internet connection would be to use Wi-Fi. 

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance with these questions! 

Highlighted

Re: Roam Like Home triggers

Good evening @Gloriabl and welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

You've got it right on all counts 🙂. There are no long distance or roaming charges if you do not make or receive a call or send out any text messages. This applies to calls outside of your local calling area, US and international countries. Text message are nationwide (depending on your plan) so you will not be billed if you're out side of your local calling area but still in Canada. You will be billed for sent text messages when you're outside of Canada. 

And yes, if you do not wish to be billed for roaming it is best to keep the data roaming turned off and rely on WiFi instead. Please reach back out if you have any further questions or concerns. 

Hope this helps 🙂!

RogersZia