Roam Like Home charges

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Roam Like Home charges

One thing to be aware of. 
This goes for ALL carriers now (as far as I am aware) and not just rogers.

Your CONTRACTs now, have nothing to do with the plan itself (well, one caveat which i will explain in a minute).
It used to be.. you had a plan contract and sometimes a hardware one completely separately.
Right now, the only contract is HARDWARE.   You get a new device, can get $X off the phones full price.  This is almost a loan per say.  paying your monthly bill, pays off $X a month off that loan over the 2 years.
The PLAN is completely separate.   Where as before you were stuck on the same plan for that contract period, you can now freely change your plan as often as you want.. month by month even if you wanted.
(With the one caveat...  to get the hardware discount, you usually must retain a plan MINIMUM.. that the monthly plan cant be below a certain $ amount)

So really, the plan pricing, etc.. has nothing specifically to do with the contract.

I am not sure if other carriers like bell, etc have a similar to roam like home..  BUT, their pricing, etc is and could be changed just the same.

(Its similar now, to how both Rogers AND Bell are getting 'sneeky' with their pricing on new signups.  Used to be you sign up for new service, and its $99/m for 2 years.  Was sort of set in stone.   Now its worded differently.  They say right now you pay $99/m, vs the regular price of $149.  A Guaranteed savings of $50.  Thats where they get  you.  If there is a regular service increase for TV, Internet, etc.. as long as they are still giving you a full $50 off, they are fulfilling the contract)

I've Been Here Awhile

DeanT, here's another little variable: it used to be, and I haven't recalculated, that it was cost-neutral to buy a phone privately. We buy our iPhones from Apple, and then they are simply unlocked, which can be handy. We have to wait for shipping, and the SIM card used to cost only $10, available at any Rogers store. What Rogers, and I suspect everyone else, doesn't tell you is that the "no-tab" monthly rate (and why do they use such an incomprehensible term?), is less than the with-a-phone rate, so that even though they say they selling you the phone at a discount, over a three-year term, it used to work out absolutely even.

Sheesh!

I've Been Here Awhile

Roam like home

My wife and I are planning a trip to Texas next month, and I'm trying to figure out what our cellular usage options are. We'll be stateside for 10 days, and I'm wondering if we both use our phones, do we get separate roam like home charges ($7 a day for mine, and $7 a day for hers)? Her cell# is the second line on our share everything plan...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, even though the data itself, etc is shared..  each device its used, is charged the $7
(as each one may be using the OTHER stuff separately, voice, texting, etc)

I've Been Here Awhile

It certainly makes sense, so I'm not surprised, I just wanted to make certain. So I guess I can turn my device into a wireless hot spot, and as long as my wife doesn't text/call, we SHOULD be good...
I've Been Around

In this thread, there are two posters with the exact same issue as mine, so I'll add a third. 8 Roam Like Home daily charges triggered despite no phone use and Data Roaming turned off the entire time. Home network data may have been off too, but I don't recall.  Any actual phone usage occurred on only one of these days.

Called in, and the usual headaches, poor service and over 2 hours of getting passed around ensued. Same old story as anywhere else.

Here's the new information: I pressed the reps and was told there were several days with charges for varying numbers of kilobytes, with one day of charges being billed for 11kb of use, and with none of the days showing over 100kb of use. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems too small for data usage prompted by any purposeful user action. They also noted several days with "1 minute calls", none of which appear in my phone call log.

This was escalated by tech support and dismissed without any notice or explanation.  It was finally "resolved" on my follow up by the rep removing the charges as a "one-time exception" for me. Should I feel grateful? They way I see it, they wasted hours of my time over charges I was not supposed to pay anyway.

@gdkitty -- your suggestion to cut off from the network entirely is not a feasible one in some cases. I'm sure others in are in the same boat and need to be available to be contacted when traveling. The Roam Like Home program rules are clear, and should not preclude this. The real issue is that Rogers is charging people incorrectly.

The phone I use is from Rogers so end-to-end, Rogers is responsible for any errors that occur in billing. If the problem is with the phone software, that's on them. If they or their roaming affiliates in other countries are playing games, that's on them too.

I've Been Here Awhile

Text messages that are sent (not that are received) are considered data and turn on the Roam like Home charge for the day.  Under the old rules a text would cost 25 cents, now under the Roam like home plan it costs $7 in the USA $12 elsewhere to send a text if you are roaming.   

I've Been Here Awhile

Can I call 800 numbers into Canada from USA free?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I believe that 1-800 numbers are charged like "local calls", so whatever your plan would charge for a local call at your phone's location, when making the call, would be how much you'd be charged.  Someone else may correct me on this.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Lillianlingies wrote:
Can I call 800 numbers into Canada from USA free?

Some 800 numbers are good in both Canada and the U.S.A., others are not. If they're subscribed for both countries it's a "local" call.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario