Roam Like Home charges

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Roam Like Home charges

I too feel better informed, but still not positive about how to avoid charges, other than my old way - just don't turn my phone on.  I am not, nor will I ever be a data user.  And fortunately I now do know with a lot of enquiry that a sent text message will now cost me 5.00 for that one message, not .75, and that 1.45 quick call - I did it that way deliberately, will also lead to a 5.00 charge - I never asked for this and it looks like I like you have done our best to avoid unexpected charges, but this whole Roam like Home is a completely foreign model to us that have never used it, or didn't have access.  There will be a learning curve for sure.

I appeciate your patience in this dialogue and the input of all to help you understand and I am glad that you, as I have got a credit of some kind given our "lack of understanding".

I loved the comment about being a 1990's user. That is me to. I am beginning to understand after a lot of questioned and sometimes feeling like I am supposed to understand these changes with some level of ease when I don't. So please be patient with is old time users as we are unwillingly dragged into this new model which we have done our best to avoid. I have always been a careful responsible user and did. Are mistakes as I learned about incoming call charges turning data off learning that moms needed data that didn't cost in Canada on my plan but did in us as it was not a free received text on SMS it was a data mess I learned to turn network data and roaming off. I Pat per use charges but now have to pay flat rate for that one text or one minute call. Some of us don't use our phones much at all so we never worried about overages. We learned how to make it work and understood about turning data off then Rogers automatically added roam like home removed day data pages and single call pricing options then designed a model that yes is beneficial for avoiding overages and more freedom for more calls and messages but some of us didn't want that. So be patient with us as we learn. Please don't judge us as we struggle to understand and sometimes get frustrated. I think I have it figured out now. Will see when I finally use it. I like the idea of airplane mode and turn on what we need. It is only on newer phones was this possible. The fans don't mention this option. I like it better but credit to Rogers for making the fans and related settings clearer. Enough on all that. I am not even travelling this year and probably moving from two phones to one and downsizing everything tv cell and Internet. I have always been frugal with money. Now I have even less so this all becomes luxuries. Ahh for a simpler life and I am glad finances are forcing me just to opt out completely. My plans and costs are very small and low but at the end of the day are luxury. Sitting with my wife on the porch. Walking. Watching over the air TV is all looking good. And one phone with long distance add on to talk to family. Sounding much simpler. I think the posters like myself are just looking for ease and fragile careful use of our money and minimalistic models of technology.

Happy travelling.

Bruce
I've Been Here Awhile

1) if my cell phone is on and i subscribe to roam like home , will i be automatically be charged $5 or $10 depending on where i am? 

2) I want to use the local wifi at a restaurent on an island. I connect and work with the wifi. will i be charged $10?

Hi @istvan1234,

Welcome to the Community Smiley Happy!

Roam Like Home daily fee is per device and will be triggered once every 24 hours. You are only charged when you make or receive a phone call, send an SMS/MMS, or use data i.e. browse, maps or an application.

If you haven't made or received a phone call, sent an SMS/MMS or used data you will not be billed for connecting to Wifi. 

Hope this helps!

RogersZia

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Best way to TRY and avoid this..

A) Remove the sim.. with no sim in the phone, it cant connect to the cellular network.  But you still should be able to connect to wifi  where its available.

B) Bar doing A.. put it in airplane mode.. this SHOULD disable it from connecting to cellular at all (though in some casses i have seen people say that it still did, just a tiny bit).  You can usually turn wifi back on while in airplane mode, to then connect to wifi.

I've Been Here Awhile

had the same problem last year and after complaint that is what they sell me (MAX $5.00 per day 10 days max) never told me that my hot spot would be charge 10 days also at $5.00 they refund me and let me have it for  6 month. This year i saw that they haven't change their web site but i don't care anymore i used my phone as a hotspot and my contract is coming out in august.....   Telus is now offering a better deal ( 2 country 1 account no itiniary anymore and cheaper then Rogers) so i guess they will lose a 10 years client soon.....  Wake up ROGERS

I Plan to Stick Around

I see two posts here. One that says they were "never told" that their hotspot would also be charged. I think from day 1, iths been quite evident that it was a charge "per device" and not "per account".  It is not realistc to expect it would be per account.  Although I wish Rogers would have a plan which encompassed USA (like Telus now does), Telus would requre a setup for a hotspot too.

As to the person that is upset that their one call now costs $5 instead of $1.45 - Sir, you are in the minority. Do you alo pay a monthly plan of $50 and make four calls a month? These things are not set up for occasional users. Get roam like home removed from your account if you don't want it.

Wi-Fi use - be sure to be careful with wi fi calling....read the terms.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Bill___

Good points you make, but I am one of those people who have not a 50 dollar plan, but a 25.00 plan, no data, and very careful user.

I turned off Roam like Home as you suggested, but in the posts, you will also find that Rogers did not make it easy to do that (automatically adding it to legacy accounts).  As to the point of we are in the minority (any data to support that?), and that is not the point - we purchase the service we have, did not ask to get Roam like Home, got it without asking us after we have carefully designed our use of phones to support our personal life style, situations, phone use and cost factors.

I also do cheap holidays when I go to the states - staying in cheap motels, camping lunches, and breakfasts, and dinners (just like my parents taught me - they are great - much more fun sitting looking at nature, lying on a bench while we eat, laying on a blanket, than sitting in noisy restaurants with so so food, and I just wait for WIFI connections, and roaming is never turned on.  In the US, every stop point has WIFI, every stoon the 400 series also does, every Tim Hortons, etc.

So, good point - turn off the Roam like Home - our point was that we had to push for that knowledge that we could even do it.  Originally they said we couldn't, then they said once on, you couldn't turn it off, and that to turn it on, it is a text, but turn it off, you have to use a CSR contact.

We just want choice, honest answers, and consideration of our needs. - That 3.00 and a bit buys me a coffee on my trip by the way - and as I say, our trips are done totally on the cheap.

Final point, on the discussion of max 50 in billing term - yes beaware - if you were 2 days before end of billing period, yes that would run you 70 dollars if you have another 5 days in next period.

Some competitors have it for 30 days from start, not billing period. Not saying one is better than the other, just be aware of the fine print and do keep asking questions and using examples until you fully understand.

Bruce

I Plan to Stick Around

You could also just turn off roaming and wi fi calling on your phone...

I hear where you are coming from, we both use it differently.

As to you being in the minority, I know it is not good to assume but at the same time I don't find it unrealistic to do so. Out of the people I know, yes, you are in the minority big time.

Have a good day.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Bill___

Good suggestions, and clarifies the confusion for some over how to avoid roaming, period.

I don't have to worry about WIFI calling - our phones don't support it.  Yes, we are frugal with our cell phone costs, have very old plans, and no data - WIFI is available just about anywhere, and we do our calling, and texting via Facebook when we take breaks on our trips. And we run our phones like our computers - I used to be a tech, so I use ebay parts and repair my devices, and they keep on going like the ever ready bunny.  We also pass our phones around the family - if someone does choose they want the new stuff, the old ones get passed on.

Back to roaming: In an emergency, we would turn our roaming back on - our roaming is actually never ever on.  And I do appreciate the option of Roam like Home if we have an emergency and find we need to use our phones to deal with it.  In the past, we would have just viewed it as an emergency, and we would have paid it without complaint.  That is why we have emergency funds saved over the years.

We have made a grand total of 3 texts and 2 short phone calls on our trips to the U.S. once to twice per year for vacations.

So, maybe I am the minority, but that is ok with me, I was just playing a bit with the terms of minority (too many years working as a research and data statisician (spelling?). That is what got me into computers and electronics because I had to build data collection devices, and maintain computers on the cheap, so I learned how to be a tech and programmer.  I was trained to use my descriptive words of statistical description with a high level of precision based upon data, so was just having my own fun with the words. Smiley Happy

I do appreciate that we do have the choice of either option in Roaming, and to each their own.

The conversation has been fun, and the thread as a whole I believe has been informative for those of us who want the choice of the options, we now know we can turn it on and off as we desire, we understand the billing period concept for the 50.00 cap, and data doesn't matter to me, as I never use network data (don't have it).

And I think the discussion has highlighted the challenges for some us to understand such a significant change in the model, as well as the challenges of wrapping ones head around how to avoid charges totally and the infamous "fine print".

As a final note, I have spent so many years not using roaming on our devices, that we developed our own methods of just doing without, and the thought of paying even 5 dollars, so I can do something that I do so rarely, would mean I would begin to slip out of my frugal mindset and begin to spend small amounts of money on things I live without.  Just me, the not so silent minority.

Take care, and we me roam in what ever way we choose to roam.Smiley Happy

Bruce

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for your response, Bruce.

For ud

s, roam like home has been very beneficil. For years, roaming rates were so punitive (more than saetllite data even) that one had little choice but to either not use phe phone, or, where possible, get a local sim card.

The mobile companies were adamant at the time that roaming rates were not coming down, it was ridiculous, We would see ads in the UK about good roaming packages for them, but not fot us.

We actually went bact to Rogers as they were the only ones to have the roaming package - although Telus now has it in more countries than Rogers now - notably Thailand, Singapore, and Indonesia. Rogers has, so far, done nothing from what I can see to correct this.

Happy travels