Roam Like Home charges

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Roam Like Home charges

It rang your phone. In order to ring your phone, the cell tower in India had to be the one signalling it.

Rogers sent the call to India, India rang your phone, India send the information back to Rogers.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. If you want to know when your phone rings, picking it up or not, you're going to be charged.  How much did your trip cost?  Plane ticket, hotels, meals, etc.? I'm sure the phone charge was pretty low in comparison, but now you know, you could have used calling and data for no extra.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hello everyone, 

I am thinking of going to the UK in the summer and noticed that roam like home is 10 dollars a day for 10 days. Does this mean the service cuts off after 10 days or is 100 dollars the maximum they charge? I am going to the UK for 2-3 weeks and would rather not get cut off if possible. 

Hi @RAwhite1987,

Welcome to the Community Forums!

When using Roam Like Home in UK, you'll be billed a maximum of $100 for 10 days within a billing cycle. If your stay falls entirely within your billing period, you can continue to use the service from the 11th day onwards. If your trip falls between two billing cycles, than you'd be billed in addition to the max 10 days depending on how the days are split.

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

RogersZia

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Gdkitty Did you bold that part, or was it bolded in the terms.  That is the type of thing that CRTC wanted put into bold to make it easy for customers to be able to see.  I know I have seen it elsewhere, but it certainly is something you have to dig for.  It has led to a number of people coming here in confusion over plan costs for an account and individual phones - in general, almost all features are per phone, and generally have been, but it does get confusing.  It is like the data caps and having it turned off once we got there - many including myself thought that was per account when reading the CRTC decisions on that, to learn that it is per line was a surprise, but now I know.  And another is knowing that you need to individually manage data limits by monitoring with the new monitoring feature, where other companies do it automatically and you need to then turn it back on, so you don't end up going over by accident.  It does all get a bit confusing at times.  Glad we have people like yourself to clarify things like this and find the details in the "fine print".

Thanks for clariying that.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

@lockdown2341 What may be obvious to you, obviously was not to the OP, and to be honest to myself - you are a Rogers employee, so you have more access to information than we do - we have to dig the fine print, and what seems obvious to us, obviously is not obvious to you and others.

It is a matter of perspective.  It is not new for people to misunderstand what it all means.  Share everything is the bundle for the whole plan, while the cost per phone is not - share everything is automatic in Canada on all related phones, and managed by the "designated manager and monitor of data", while when it Roam like home, it is per line. I can understand how people get confused - I know I have.  That is why I spent 3 hours trying to understand Roam like Home when it was announced.  But I appreciate the clear and concise clarification earlier.

Candor aside, I can also see why @lockdown2341 finds it obvious, but if unsure, it is important for customers to ask. And try to dig through all the fine print, which is not always that easy.  A single page of basic issues related to usage, prices, per phone, detail would be nice, separated out from the fine print. This is actually what CRTC asked from all providers was to break these important details out, preferably, or at least bold the price, number of days, overages, etc in the "terms", or as I would say, "the fine print".

When we buy houses, we send the fine print to lawyers, but we generally don't with cars, or communication servies. So it is up to us to dig, and ask if unsure - I have often asked them to go through each section of the terms and explain them to me and confirm that I fully understand.  By the way, I have that right, I have visual accuity issues, and reading comprehension problems with highly intensive fine print detail.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

This is the very reason why I have not ever bought an iPhone - they have always been highly data intensive devices, and it is complicated, same as I now find all smart phones to be, to get the settings correct to avoid data.

Things like - Data has to be on for MMS text with pictures, or if your SMS is too long (at least phones generally tell you it has switched to MMS if too long - that is if you see the notice).

Things like visual voice mail used data.  Not all phones are easy to figure out when data is on and off.

My process now is to go to airplane mode, and turn back on what I want - so if I only want WIFI, I turn on WIFI, but if you have WIFI calling, make sure that is turned off (I don't have it, so couldn't say how to do that).

If I want to make or receive calls, I leave data roaming off, and data just to be safe (no I don't trust phones, they are technology, and can be complicated to understand for many - not all people either have the time to fully understand how every tiny feature works.  I do notice that on the new announcement of Roam Like Home, there was a link to see how to set things properly for android and iPhone - ignore the fact that there are still tons of BB users out there, and Rogers does sell them, so if you call in, they will explain the details.  Don't know about Windows devices.

So not surprising to see people report that they got caught not having their phones set "properly".  And maybe he didn't knmow that iMessage uses data, I wouldn't as I have never been on it, and don't get this concept of MMS on other than the stock messaging apps like found on other devices.

I just learned something new.

There was a time, that if I called into Rogers that I just didn't understand, I would get the phrase, one time only, we will credit this amount, as often we weren't aware, but once they tell directly we are.

My practice is to spend huge amounts of time with the company directly making sure I fully understand.

At least the CRTC forced caps - it could have been worse a few years ago.

Me, I have always been nervous about even turning my phone on when leaving Canada, or being near the border.  Been hit with unexpected charges now and then.  Now I just go very very safe.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

He did say he was connected to WIFI, maybe he goofed and accidently switched something off or on.  I know I have.

He obviously is sure that he wasn't, and it seems to be that an assumption is being made that technology is perfect, and fully understandable - I could suggested that he may have done something he didn't understand, or maybe, maybe, his technolgy wasn't perfect all the time. I know I have had devices do some weird things, and they got replaced, and sometimes, I just didn't know the impact of my actions, and actually honestly believed that I was preventing data.  Although I would have thought a message would come to him that roam like home was triggered.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

You may have noticed that I am presenting alternative answers for the poster - none of us was there, we didn't see his settings, you don't have to use iMessage to communicate on an apple device, in fact you need to turn it off and go to standard messaging of MMS/SMS if you are going to talk to the rest of the world.

He has never said he was using iMessage, and if his data is turned off, iMessage would not work.

So let's not jump to the conclusion that his communication involved iMessage - I don't think he has said that, plus he has said he has roaming and network data turned off, only WIFI.

Just playing devil's advocate.

This is moving to sound like, you are wrong, I am right, and that is not what I would think is a friendly environment.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

Thanks @RogersShakir  that makes things clearer for me - I am not an Apple device user, but since I have now been forced into the Roam like Home model, I am trying to read through these and understand how to prevent unexpected costs.

I have never fully understand this whole roam like home, nor even how phones work with data, messaging, calling when roaming period - this is my reason for my paranoia - leading to me just turning my phone off period, and using my computer, not my phone on wifi.

It is not necessarily an easy thing to understand for me anyway, and I appreciate your clear education on MMS triggering roam like home charges (boy I would love it if we had the option of just turning it off, and chosing if we wanted it or not - I personally would prefer it is off, so I will continue to just leave my phone off).

I did know the difference between MMS versus iMessage because I had to research it because my brother couldn't figure out why we couldn't send and receive texts between each other, until he understood what those different colours and the exclamation mark meant and how to set it up.  We don't communicate by text as a result because the rest of his nuclear family is on apple and they use iMessage, and he doesn't want to be switching back and forth.

Bit by bit I am beginning to understand as I read this thread, the risks related to roam like home and how to minimize it, but I am not that technologically inclined on smart phones, so I am likely to think I have it all turned off and find out the hard way, that I am not.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

It has always been my experience with Rogers, that I would consider a one time credit, maybe not all, but usually some, when this has happened to me.  A recent experience with Netflix when doing the Shomi switch over, I made a mistake and opened a second account by accident (I had forgotten my user name and password, and thought maybe it was another email address I often use and low and behold I had two Netflix accounts - the rep did the - one time only, I will credit the money you lost when we cancelled the old one, and left the Rogers credit on the new one.)

May I suggest leaving out your opinion on what you would do.  When you make that comment, as a Rogers's employee, you are slipping towards the line of being your opinion of how you would work for Rogers.  Just a thought.  Your ideas and suggestions are clarifications are valid, but please leave out your personal opinion on how you would have treated a customer, please and thank you.

Bruce